PDA

View Full Version : SmoothiceCam - Maiden Voyage

Smoothice
04-01-2009, 11:48 AM
Well I tried out my goggle cam on Sunday at Velocity Paintball Park in Ramona.

This was the trial run and it went pretty well. I used my spy cam and shrub909 recording device. The first game came out good. But then the camera moved a smidge down and the rest of the footage is basically unwatchable.

So depending on the poll results I will make it so the camera can't be knocked out of place.

Post up and let me know what you think. And please wait to vote in the poll till after you have watched the video.

Here it is... :headbang:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/YPsLFGHe6mk&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/YPsLFGHe6mk&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

flyingpootang
04-01-2009, 11:56 AM
Smooth, Very nice since the image didn't bounce around like I thought it would even while running. The only down side is you could see what your shooting at except the bunker move and even then you couldn't make out the shot....

Smoothice
04-01-2009, 12:00 PM
Yeah the first game was more long range shooting. And the camera moved down after that so it made it difficult to see what I was shooting at. I just used the best of the worst footage basically. If I try it again and the camera is pointing where it should then hopefully there will be some better footage.

DevilMan
04-01-2009, 12:00 PM
I think some of the blur is from the lense itself. One of the guys at Davis had a similar set up but he had his cam in a small waterproof enclosure mounted to the top of his lense.

DM

d4m4don3
04-01-2009, 12:21 PM
put the camera on the gun, maybe you'll get a better angle? otherwise the video is very cool

Shingo
04-01-2009, 12:22 PM
:headbang: VERY NICE!!! :headbang:

Maybe next time do a "slow-mo" replay on kic-@$$ shots like that bunker at the 50 :shooting:

tbaggin
04-01-2009, 12:46 PM
Smooth, thats pretty decent there.

I have a buddy who used a barrel cam at our field, Ill try to dig up the links if you want

chefomar
04-01-2009, 12:57 PM
That's very nice. Next time use a mag please. Nothing againts cockers :D , it's just that I'd love to see a mag in action. :shooting:

Smoothice
04-01-2009, 01:06 PM
That's very nice. Next time use a mag please. Nothing againts cockers :D , it's just that I'd love to see a mag in action. :shooting:

Definitely :cheers:

Smooth, thats pretty decent there.

I have a buddy who used a barrel cam at our field, Ill try to dig up the links if you want

I've seen some vids with it on the barrel. That will make it harder to switch markers though. I will also have to fight with cables running from the marker to my recording device. But I am open to suggestions. I may give it another try this way but with the camera mounted better.

:headbang: VERY NICE!!! :headbang:

Maybe next time do a "slow-mo" replay on kic-@$$ shots like that bunker at the 50 :shooting:

I will do some slow mo's next time.

Mongoose
04-01-2009, 01:20 PM
Looks great, nice job

Shingo
04-01-2009, 01:48 PM
I've seen some vids with it on the barrel. That will make it harder to switch markers though. I will also have to fight with cables running from the marker to my recording device. But I am open to suggestions. I may give it another try this way but with the camera mounted better.

Run the cable down through your sleeves and connect by the grip... that's how I would do it. then the cable is not in the way and is somewhat protected.

For mounting, I have a lot of Plexiglass... you're more then welcome to use some of it to make your barrel mounted camera case. :shooting:

Smoothice
04-01-2009, 01:51 PM
Run the cable down through your sleeves and connect by the grip... that's how I would do it. then the cable is not in the way and is somewhat protected.

Some of us switch hands while shooting :p

:rofl:

I'm not completely opposed to gun mounted. But since I am using a wired cam it makes it less appealing.

UberGeek
04-01-2009, 04:20 PM
Video looks kinda bad, maybe YouTube's fault or hardware I don't know, but looks like there is potential.

And it's good to see the didn't blind fire on that 50.

SithSteve
04-01-2009, 04:28 PM
Nice! Very "GHTP!"

chafnerjr
04-01-2009, 04:33 PM
I like the helmet cam... gun cam's shake to damned much though you do get good shots of your opponents... but you'll never see a snap shot. Maybe some brighter paint will help things a bit... higher FPS will make a big difference. How often was a keyframe taken?

snoopay700
04-01-2009, 04:34 PM
I though of choosing "sell your gear now!" just for laughs, but decided against it. Looks good, and it's interesting getting a first person perspective of someone playing.

theGOLDENchild
04-01-2009, 05:01 PM
I felt like I was playing PaintBrawl. Very nice.

BigEvil
04-01-2009, 05:09 PM
I felt like I was playing PaintBrawl. Very nice.

Yeah it reminded me of the Greg Hastings games :headbang:

Good job Smooth.

NICE SONG, BTW. :bounce:

Smoothice
04-01-2009, 05:14 PM
Video looks kinda bad, maybe YouTube's fault or hardware I don't know, but looks like there is potential.

I'm gonna go with hardware. It is just a simple security cam afterall.

How often was a keyframe taken?

No clue. I was told the camera did 300lines or something like that.

I'm no tech genious.

NICE SONG, BTW. :bounce:

A great benevolent dictator suggested it ;)

mpsd
04-01-2009, 10:25 PM
Excelent!!! Loved the music as well! :headbang:

eXo_oUtSiDeR
04-02-2009, 02:15 AM
USE THE XMAG!!!! lol just a suggestion :p

04-03-2009, 08:28 AM
Wolfenstein

snoopay700
04-03-2009, 10:30 AM
You know, i'm actually thinking about doing something like this if i can find a camera cheap enough, we'll see.

d4m4don3
04-03-2009, 11:53 PM
You know, i'm actually thinking about doing something like this if i can find a camera cheap enough, we'll see.

You know who to talk to ;)

You and that damn jewcano are like twins. :ninja:

snoopay700
04-04-2009, 02:49 PM
You know who to talk to ;)

You and that damn jewcano are like twins. :ninja:
I'm sorry, please try wording your request in the form of a question and try again.

Seriously though, your post didn't make a lot of sense to me.

PumpMag
04-04-2009, 03:08 PM
I'm sorry, please try wording your request in the form of a question and try again.

Seriously though, your post didn't make a lot of sense to me.

He's referring to the infamous Shrub909, who's dabbled with another type of application for mini cameras at Pickle's big scenario games.

SummaryJudgement
04-07-2009, 05:24 PM
AWESOME SMOOTHICE!

I love it man! Looks good, like a first-person-shooter :rofl:

It's a shame there isn't just a little more resolution to the vid. It was hard to tell where the people you were shooting at were if they were far away.

Is the set-up heavy, cumbersome, a pain in the butt?

It does show how well your goggle lens can stop a paintball ;)

Keep us posted.......