PDA

View Full Version : Reputable Paintball Sources

snoopay700
04-02-2009, 01:46 AM
Hey everyone, i'm mainly looking to see if anyone knows someone that is in the industry that even though they are with a company or something they will still tell me in an interview for my tech comp class what to look for in a marker and what is the best marker without saying outright "oh ours is definitely the best." I'm afraid it'll be hard to find someone like that simply because marketing is a pretty big part of paintball, but i tried contacting Tom about this and he admitted to me that he's too out of touch with the industry to really be able to do an interview, so i'm turning to you guys hoping that someone knows someone (even a professional paintball player would do but i'm looking for more technical aspects). So basically i'm looking for another source and i've already hit up Mike Casady due to a recommendation from Tom.

Also if there are any sites with information about what to look for in paintball products and impartial reviews i wouldn't mind having those sites, i already have warpig in mind, pbreview.com is out namely because most of those reviews aren't impartial because the people shelled out a lot of their own money for them and they don't really look at the technical aspects. I'm also going to be using Tom's tech tips from this site, so that should give you of an idea of the sources i already have.

Thanks a ton in advance to anyone that can help me out.

snoopay700
04-07-2009, 12:52 PM
If anyone could help me with this i would really appreciate it because apparently paintball magazines don't like getting back to me....

tech-chan
04-07-2009, 01:01 PM
Try the local tech. They normally know which ones to get and the technical information on them.

pk5
04-07-2009, 01:29 PM
Have you post on MCB about this?

Dayspring
04-07-2009, 04:27 PM
One that shoots paint @ 280fps.

no such thing.

what is the best marker

snoopay700
04-08-2009, 11:32 AM
One that shoots paint @ 280fps.

no such thing.
Ok, i would try the local tech but i'm at college and there aren't really any around. Also i know there isn't a best marker, but my professor told me i definitely need to choose one as my recommendation so of course i want to see what the person i'm interviewing thinks is the best marker. I entered this thinking i could make this report on something i liked and do it how i wanted, now i just get to do it on something i like and i'm pretty much stuck with having to say "this marker is definitely the best".

Dayspring
04-08-2009, 02:03 PM
When you speak of "best" marker - you may want to limit the criteria towards ROF or programmable modes, efficiency, esthetics (though that is VERY subjective), brand support and reputation, easy of use, ease of maintenance, upgrade paths, aftermarket support.

Yes, that's alot, but it will help narrow the focus instead of somebody's personal preferences- which is what you'll get if you ask the local tech. And that can be influenced by the guns he's had to work on, sponsorship, dealer status, etc.

stoffa15
04-08-2009, 02:27 PM
If I was you I would look no further then this forum. Cockerpunk imo knows his stuff and most importantly deals with the science of paintball

skipdogg
04-08-2009, 02:34 PM
bill mills of warpig.

snoopay700
04-08-2009, 03:38 PM
bill mills of warpig.
Thanks, i'll look into contacting him, and i thought about cockerpunk but i can't think of anything that would make him reputable in the eyes of my professor since he hasn't actually done anything in the industry as far as i know, but i'll ask her.

And Dayspring, i already know that and i was thinking about that and price because i'm supposed to be advising someone that's starting a team.

EDIT: Never mind, i got the ok from her so i'll shoot cockerpunk a pm asking him.

Mongoose
04-08-2009, 05:03 PM
Dont forget our very own Big Evil.."Writes for 68 Cal."

snoopay700
04-08-2009, 07:03 PM
Dont forget our very own Big Evil.."Writes for 68 Cal."
Oh i didn't even know that, i'll have to send him a message too to see if he'll do an interview.

MANN
04-08-2009, 09:24 PM
Tuna/RogueFactor/PTP people would be an avenue for AGD markers.

Steve Davidson runs(owns) 68cal so he might be an option too.

Simon "Manike" is here quite often, and would be a great interview IMO. http://www.simonized.com/homepage.html

I am sure there are many many more that I am not thinking about, but that should get you started.

You are going to have a hard time to decide "the best" It will be the whole ford vs chevy thing.

cockerpunk
04-08-2009, 09:41 PM
ah, i responded to the PM before seeing the thread.

if there is an issue, i can send your teacher my resume listing my qualifications and such. but your right i have not worked in the industry for even a day, and while that looks like to outsiders like a flaw, it means i have almost complete impartiality when it comes to saying what i think, vs saying what i need to.

bill mills would be interesting. the only issue there is that he has alot of money in terms of sponsorship floating around his head.

snoopay700
04-08-2009, 11:36 PM
ah, i responded to the PM before seeing the thread.

if there is an issue, i can send your teacher my resume listing my qualifications and such. but your right i have not worked in the industry for even a day, and while that looks like to outsiders like a flaw, it means i have almost complete impartiality when it comes to saying what i think, vs saying what i need to.

bill mills would be interesting. the only issue there is that he has alot of money in terms of sponsorship floating around his head.
She actually told me that experienced players are completely fine to use for sources since they'll know what to use and such, so i don't think she would have a problem with me interviewing you, and i agree that you'd be better than most people in the industry, that's why i was set on Tom, but now that she told me i can just go to seasoned players i'm a lot more relieved. So far i have you and big evil on board, but i may try bill mills just for the sheer fact that it will probably be interesting if i don't think i can use him as a source.

Dayspring
04-09-2009, 12:32 PM
I have a friend that is a designer for the industry that may be able to answer some questions as well. I'll ask him and see if he's up for some Q&A.

snoopay700
04-09-2009, 01:20 PM
I have a friend that is a designer for the industry that may be able to answer some questions as well. I'll ask him and see if he's up for some Q&A.
Ok awesome, thanks, the more sources the better i figure, i can always decide to not use some if i have too many but it's a lot harder to find them in a pinch.