PDA

View Full Version : Mag Bolt Springs; Re-harden and temper?

Spider-TW
04-02-2009, 05:31 PM
Has anyone tried to re-harden and re-temper automag bolt springs? I keep my old worn ones and was thinking about stretching and cooking a couple to see if they could be re-used.

I don't need to save them that bad, it just seems like an easy way to practice the ancient art of spring-fu. :ninja:

Sumthinwicked
04-02-2009, 05:33 PM
i got an extra good one if you wanna try one of yours sell it to u for 5 shipped ;)

Ruler_Mark
04-02-2009, 05:42 PM
what material are they made up thinking of how hot you would really have to get them.

MANN
04-02-2009, 05:45 PM
i got an extra good one if you wanna try one of yours sell it to u for 5 shipped ;)

I would dare to say you could get new ones for that.

Sumthinwicked
04-02-2009, 05:56 PM
shipping from agd is like 8 a piece u know that LOL

flyingpootang
04-02-2009, 10:34 PM
I take all of my springs out when my mag when not in use. Although I've seen mags that have had their springs in since the early 90s and they still fire perfectly....

Spider-TW
04-02-2009, 11:06 PM
what material are they made up thinking of how hot you would really have to get them.
I expect they are spring steel. The old gunsmith technique is to torch them until cherry red, which is about 1800F to 2000F. You usually do this in dark shade type light so you can see it. It's the same as sword makers. Quench in a light oil (atf is good for some techniques). Then heat at about 500F to 600F for 15 to 30 minutes and air quench. There's lots of old combinations and it is a skill that takes practice or at least some magic. I'm sure the finish will be gone (no more gold, black, or red).

I was contemplating putting my little mapp torch to work on one, mainly because it's a spring that I can easily test my work on and it's already near the right shape.

The only reason I have "worn out" springs is from level 10 bolts. A fresh gold spring suits my needs, but they get finicky when they get worn. I can usually put those old level 10 springs on a level 7 bolt without a problem, so I keep them around. They're like classic on/offs; it seems like there's always at least one extra around, if not a bunch.