PDA

View Full Version : New tac one, Bolt stick? WTF

Freebird
04-14-2009, 11:39 PM
Alright first off im no stranger to mags, thats for sure. I recently bought my first BRAND new tac one direct from AGD. came in january and Well. I wasent surprized that the LVL10 wasent tuned in because of the very low temperatures we were having Up here in the northeast. SO i kinda toughed it out for a while, Tinkered with tuning the LVL 10 in like i had done on my 3 previous LvL 10 mags. And i just CANT get it to work right. It seems like its hitting awfully hard. And the bolt stick is ridiculous. Ive really tried just about every spring combination out there, as well as up to 6 shims and STILL bolt stick. SO i broke the marker down yesterday just for normal cleaning/oiling and noticed that the bolt at been literally eating away at my body on the inside. This is not just your normal anno wear, im talking Gauging aluminum. There was a grey film all over the bolt i assume is from where my bolt is destroying the inside of my BRAND NEW tac one body......

This is also probably the cause of my bolt stick issue.

What are your guys thoughts on this thing? does your aluminum bodies wear like this on the inside. I really think there is somthing seriously wrong with my mag....

secretweaponevan
04-15-2009, 06:30 AM
Alright first off im no stranger to mags, thats for sure. I recently bought my first BRAND new tac one direct from AGD. came in january and Well. I wasent surprized that the LVL10 wasent tuned in because of the very low temperatures we were having Up here in the northeast. SO i kinda toughed it out for a while, Tinkered with tuning the LVL 10 in like i had done on my 3 previous LvL 10 mags. And i just CANT get it to work right. It seems like its hitting awfully hard. And the bolt stick is ridiculous. Ive really tried just about every spring combination out there, as well as up to 6 shims and STILL bolt stick. SO i broke the marker down yesterday just for normal cleaning/oiling and noticed that the bolt at been literally eating away at my body on the inside. This is not just your normal anno wear, im talking Gauging aluminum. There was a grey film all over the bolt i assume is from where my bolt is destroying the inside of my BRAND NEW tac one body......

This is also probably the cause of my bolt stick issue.

What are your guys thoughts on this thing? does your aluminum bodies wear like this on the inside. I really think there is somthing seriously wrong with my mag....

Anno is going to wear. As long as the body washer isn't mushrooming, you should be ok, unless there is something really wonky going on.

I know you have tuned 3 other LVL 10 mags, but sometimes going back to the basics and starting from square 1 can cure a finicky LVL 10:

Follow these steps in order.
1. Break in carrier o-ring with 1000 shots in carrier #2 (2 lines, no dots on side of carrier).
2. Move broken-in white carrier o-ring to largest carrier that does not leak.
3. If bolt sticks on squeegy test, add shims until it resets reliably.
4. Chrono marker to field speed. (this is important, don't just do it by sound)
5. If gun breaks paint (test with no loader and make an electrical tape string for paintball to hang only halfway in breach) use a longer mainspring (on the contrary, if bolt continuously "LVL 10's" or "chuffs" use a shorter mainspring).

Freebird
04-15-2009, 07:51 PM
Ill give it a try this evening and update.

I wish i could take a pick of the wear inside the body, its quite rough to the touch, deffinatly not even.

georgeyew
04-16-2009, 10:02 AM
Could you take another valve and put it into the Tac and see if it shoots smoother. Try and isolate the problem to see if it is the body or valve.

chafnerjr
04-16-2009, 10:23 AM
I wish i could take a pick of the wear inside the body, its quite rough to the touch, deffinatly not even.

You def, should. I'm not Mr. Super Mag repair guy or anything, but that kind of metal on metal wear is just NOT normal... by any stretch of the imagination!!!!!!!!!!! I would contact AGD and ask WTF :mad: This does NOT sounds like the normal wear in of the sear (which would be normal)..

Have you tried a dif, lvl10? I only ask as to try to figure out which part isn't to proper spec... a pic would help... take everything apart and take a picture down the inside of the body with enough light so we can all see.

Ebbed
04-17-2009, 04:14 PM
not making me feel comfortable about my purchase ill be making in the not so distant future.

chafnerjr
04-17-2009, 04:54 PM
not making me feel comfortable about my purchase ill be making in the not so distant future.

Well... don't know what to say about that. I wouldn't worry much as:

#1) we haven't seen it yet. :cool:

#2) I've never even heard of this happening before. (not that I'm doubting) :confused:
#3) People have been using mags for... what 20 or 25 years and they have an extraordinary reputation for quality and reliability :cheers:
#4) No matter how high quality a product there is always the occasional bad egg... now we're not even sure what the issue(s) is/are... :ninja:

but... if your worried about buying something new from AGD then buy a totally functional one from someone here on AO. All of my mags are pieced together from everyone here and I have to say that I love my mags!!! Between myself, my wife, my brother and two or three local friends we have 10 to 15 fully functional mag' plus enough spare parts to build a few more. These sorts of things just DON'T happen to us. There's something fishy going on with this marker we just don't know what yet... in any event it seems rarer than winning the lottery.

So with that said... how 'bout it freebird... any pic's or resolution yet?

Freebird
04-19-2009, 11:49 PM
well first off, this should not discourage you from buying a mag, I have owned mags after mags ever since i started playing. This is just an oddball for some reason. Well today i made progress, i broke the O-ring in with about a case of paint, i had to constantly choose a smaller carrier every ohh about 500 rounds because the o-ring would begin ti hiss, I am sitting steady right now, at

Carrier- No lines 3 dots
spring - red
shims.... 3 lvl 10 shims and 4 ULT shims. and i still ahve bolt stick once and a while.

I will continue to work on it this week

Drizit
04-20-2009, 01:13 AM
Somthing's not right there if the brech is gaugling, Rubbing the anno off is one thing but even on my tac-one that I used for a longbow it didn't even rub the anno off in the area behind the body washer where the spring sits and even in the brech area it was almost all totaly black still when I sold it a couple of years later. I think you would be best to give AGD a ring on this one.

secretweaponevan
04-20-2009, 04:37 AM
well first off, this should not discourage you from buying a mag, I have owned mags after mags ever since i started playing. This is just an oddball for some reason. Well today i made progress, i broke the O-ring in with about a case of paint, i had to constantly choose a smaller carrier every ohh about 500 rounds because the o-ring would begin ti hiss, I am sitting steady right now, at

Carrier- No lines 3 dots
spring - red
shims.... 3 lvl 10 shims and 4 ULT shims. and i still ahve bolt stick once and a while.

I will continue to work on it this week

Wow. If I had 5 LVL 10 shims in my mag (2 ULT shims = 1 LVL 10 shim), I think I would get a shim leak.

You are supposed to tune a LVL 10 with no shims so you don't get a shim leak making you think you have to use a smaller carrier which would then cause bolt stick. This sounds like what is going on in your case to be honest.

Right now you are using carrier number 0.5 which is pretty darned small.

Edit: Remember that shims are only to be added, 1 at a time, if the bolt fails to reset after encountering a jam. Bolt stick is just bolt stick and is usually because of too small a carrier (LVL 10) or too short a spacer (LVL 7). No amount of shims is going to stop bolt stick.

Freebird
04-22-2009, 03:40 PM
Wow. If I had 5 LVL 10 shims in my mag (2 ULT shims = 1 LVL 10 shim), I think I would get a shim leak.

You are supposed to tune a LVL 10 with no shims so you don't get a shim leak making you think you have to use a smaller carrier which would then cause bolt stick. This sounds like what is going on in your case to be honest.

Right now you are using carrier number 0.5 which is pretty darned small.

Edit: Remember that shims are only to be added, 1 at a time, if the bolt fails to reset after encountering a jam. Bolt stick is just bolt stick and is usually because of too small a carrier (LVL 10) or too short a spacer (LVL 7). No amount of shims is going to stop bolt stick.
Yes ive got my termanology all backwards, its not sticking in the forward position its just not resetting. I tuned it in w/o shims at all, i broke the o-ring in with almost an entire case and still when i do the squige test, the bolt does not reset unless i pull the trigger twice, i think im going to have to call agd on this one. But right now im off to work so itll have to wait.

Drizit
04-22-2009, 03:51 PM
one other thing you may or may not have tried... I know I alwase say this but it's solved more mag problems then i can count.... oil... oil the outside of the bold, the inside of it, the orings in the power tube and then put some in the asa before gassing it just for good measure... you never know and it won't do any harm.

Freebird
04-22-2009, 04:12 PM
one other thing you may or may not have tried... I know I alwase say this but it's solved more mag problems then i can count.... oil... oil the outside of the bold, the inside of it, the orings in the power tube and then put some in the asa before gassing it just for good measure... you never know and it won't do any harm.
yea ive dont that. thank you all for the advice. im hoping to get a picture this weekend.

Drizit
04-22-2009, 04:39 PM
I just had a thought... My xvalve used to do that when I had an emag on/off pin in it, as soon as I got the RT pin it stopped... perhaps your on/off pin is worn down a bit and is letting just enough air though to stop the bolt from coming all the way back until you pull the trigger again and bock the air totally. See if you can try another pin out.

Freebird
04-22-2009, 04:44 PM
I just had a thought... My xvalve used to do that when I had an emag on/off pin in it, as soon as I got the RT pin it stopped... perhaps your on/off pin is worn down a bit and is letting just enough air though to stop the bolt from coming all the way back until you pull the trigger again and bock the air totally. See if you can try another pin out.
If it is the RT on/off pin it had to come bad from factory because the gun has done this since i bought it back in febuary. Ill look into that i have another on/off layin around im also going to try a different lvl 10 bolt, i have a few spares of those also. And take some measurments on the OD of the bolt, and ID of the body. Also noticed two of the springs they sent me don't even fit over the bolt, I had to get some old Lvl 10 springs i had layin round.

Drizit
04-22-2009, 04:55 PM
now that is odd... could be bad springs or a bad OD on the bolt... Let us know what you find.

stonersr26
04-22-2009, 05:17 PM
Another thing to consider is how tight you are making the front frame screw and the field strip screw. They need to be balanced and if you are tightening one or the other too much it will cause these types of problems. The field strip screw should only be finger tight and the front screw should be snug.