PDA

View Full Version : ..Max-Flo Inline...on/on...

malJohann
04-15-2009, 08:02 AM
I'm sure many here will be delighted to hear that I managed to source a Max-Flo Inline regulator here in South-Africa for my rapid-fire pursuits, so no shorter on/off pin or wonky tuning of the 'mag to get what I want.

I have one problem though, which is that the on/off on my regulator turned into an on/on recently. Apparently this is a common problem on the Max-Flo Inline adjustable regulator. There's also apparently an easy fix for it by taking a Dremel to it so it won't chew o-rings in future. Problem is, what do I Dremel to get the desired result?

I assume its the edges of the holes through the on/off drum that needs blunting, but want to be sure because you know what they say of assumption and I'd hate to have to order the on/off service kit twice.

Please let me know and if you can include illustrations or photo's (if that's even necessary), then great!

Spider-TW
04-15-2009, 08:54 AM
I'm sure many here will be delighted to hear that I managed to source a Max-Flo Inline regulator here in South-Africa for my rapid-fire pursuits, so no shorter on/off pin or wonky tuning of the 'mag to get what I want.

I have one problem though, which is that the on/off on my regulator turned into an on/on recently. Apparently this is a common problem on the Max-Flo Inline adjustable regulator. There's also apparently an easy fix for it by taking a Dremel to it so it won't chew o-rings in future. Problem is, what do I Dremel to get the desired result?

I assume its the edges of the holes through the on/off drum that needs blunting, but want to be sure because you know what they say of assumption and I'd hate to have to order the on/off service kit twice.

Please let me know and if you can include illustrations or photo's (if that's even necessary), then great!
You are correct. When you pull the on/off plug (drum) and oring out, you should see your oring has a nice bite taken out of it. The plug is aluminum, so I think a dremel is over kill unless you just think "polish", not "grind". If you take too much off the oring will lose support, which it really needs under high pressure.

The main problem is the trailing edge of the hole as you turn the plug to the open position. The pressure pushes the oring up in the hole and the edge cuts it. On that side I rounded the edge a little more, but stayed away from where the oring seats. Since the oring gets a bite on one side, you can flip them over and use them again. A thin coat of non-flammable synthetic grease on the plug helps too.

When you take the reg apart for maintenance, be sure and clean the insides of the high pressure cup and the seal seats with a q-tip or something. At a scenario the SP guys kept taking mine apart and replacing parts and greasing it, and it would not stop leaking. I finally took it apart and cleaned it and it's been good for a couple of years now.

Do you have the diagrams from zdspb.com?

malJohann
04-15-2009, 09:16 AM
..Do you have the diagrams from zdspb.com?

That was the guide I used to clean the reg, so it's shiny inside and greased only where its supposed to be and with appropriate amounts. I used only SL33K, but could not get to the on/off plug due to the diminutive Allen key needed to remove the retention screw.

Spider-TW
04-15-2009, 12:17 PM
That was the guide I used to clean the reg, so it's shiny inside and greased only where its supposed to be and with appropriate amounts. I used only SL33K, but could not get to the on/off plug due to the diminutive Allen key needed to remove the retention screw.
It's tiny for sure. Mine did not have any loctite and it doesn't need tension on it, so it should come out easy if you can find the wrench for it.

For a while mine would start bleeding off while I wasn't shooting. I discovered that I could turn the on/off "off" until it quit, then turn it back on and the leak went away for the rest of the day. After doing that a few times, it hasn't done it again in the last few events. I guess the seal finally wore in.