PDA

View Full Version : your thoughts on remote tank

skyless
04-15-2009, 01:18 PM
I have never setup my marker on a remote tank, it always look like it would be a great way to go to drop some weight off the marker. For those who have experience using a remote setup, let me know what you like/dislike, setup preference. Do you run the remote directly to to valve or to an asa. Any and all opinions would be very helpfull. Thanks

pk5
04-15-2009, 01:25 PM
Depend on what you are using and how heavy it is

I found that remote line throw my marker off balance since i like to wrap my arm around the tank. But for my rifle, the only option would be to use a remote line, otherwise it become too back heavy.

Dend78
04-15-2009, 01:25 PM
personally i ran it one time with a remote to the ASA on the bottom of the frame, it took weight off the gun for sure but then with me being as tall as i am it kept the coiled remote tight which put tension on the gun all the time kinda throwing my shots off a bit because the gun would be tweaked a bit.

if i were to do it again i would get the long straight line and one of those airthru stocks cause i do like being able to shoulder my markers

Mongoose
04-15-2009, 01:30 PM
I have never setup my marker on a remote tank, it always look like it would be a great way to go to drop some weight off the marker. For those who have experience using a remote setup, let me know what you like/dislike, setup preference. Do you run the remote directly to to valve or to an asa. Any and all opinions would be very helpfull. Thanks

For me it all depends on the event, if its a big scenario game...then yes i find it much better to have a remote with the tank on the back of my vest...but then your gonna need a stock on your gun for better support when aiming.......i would suggest a remote that has a bleed " slide check"

i connect mine to the asa on my marker.

georgeyew
04-15-2009, 02:26 PM
On one of my Mags I have a remote set up without a stock. I find that I can sprint faster with the tank on my back and I can tuck in easier with just the marker (almost like a pistol). The only thing is that it's hard to switch hands. I run the remote line directly to the valve with a quick disconnect fitting. That way there's no additional hoses on the marker.

Engus
04-15-2009, 02:35 PM
I never liked that it hindered switching hands for shooting opposite sides. Also, if the tank pouch isnt a secure design then its uncomfortable when you run.

Smoothice
04-15-2009, 04:06 PM
I have never run a remote. But I know a few people who have tried it and really didn't like it. They felt like they were getting tangled up in the line when trying to switch hands.

StygShore
04-15-2009, 04:17 PM
i cant shoot with both hands ( I think I could lop off my left arm and it wouldn't effect my life in the least - aside from buying gloves )

Remote is handy if you don't want the weight of the tank, but in all honesty, the new tanks are so light, does it really matter?

Most cases when I have used remote or know people to use remote, I always suggest a gas through stock to keep the gun shouldered and your shots accurate

Styg

one of the guys I play with runs a Invert Mini with Halo Frontman on gas thru stock with Ninja coiled remote - scary light gun...

Spider-TW
04-15-2009, 04:38 PM
On one of my Mags I have a remote set up without a stock. I find that I can sprint faster with the tank on my back and I can tuck in easier with just the marker (almost like a pistol). The only thing is that it's hard to switch hands. I run the remote line directly to the valve with a quick disconnect fitting. That way there's no additional hoses on the marker.
Same here, but I go to an asa first (actually a hose bottom line). And like mongoose says, I use a bleed slide check. Not only does make it easy to take the marker off, it lets me pressure up my coiled hose and straighten it out under pressure before it gets tight on the marker. I also have a loose cloth camo cover on my hose so that it doesn't get twisted on itself. With all that, I often forget about it which is a pain every time you go to take your harness off or air up. :tard: To me, that's the biggest problem; you always have your gun hand occupied. Off hand shooting is possible because of the coiled hose, but it's not comfortable. I have a vertical remote bottle, so if I'm camping on a left side I'll pass the marker behind me, which isn't too bad.

It is a very tight setup like georgeyew says. It's faster and lighter (in hand) than most of the "tac" setups that use bottles or stocks, because it's just a mag on a hose. Besides easy sprints, it's easy to run and shoot. I get away with classic video game strafing (one-handed) pretty often.

I would also add that this is on a single trigger frame. My double trigger markers are all "back bottle" setups.

Wanta B Sniper
04-15-2009, 04:57 PM
If I am using a stick feed then a remote isn't too bad, it's just like playing with a pistol. But other wise I like to have a tank to help balance the weight of the hopper and for something to place against my shoulder. Try it out and if you like it, good for you. And if you don't then you'll know it's not for you.

Shingo
04-15-2009, 04:59 PM
I ran a remote to my marker from about '96 to about '03 and never really had probs with it. At first I used those steel remote hoses and was crazy stiff... then the coiled hoses came around and man what a difference.

> I never had problems getting my remote hose getting stuck on anything.
> I never had problems switching from one hand to another during play.
> I never had problems aiming my marker as a result of not having a tank to press into my shoulder.
> I never had a hard time running/sliding with a tank on my back.
> The marker was a lot lighter so it's easier to snap shoot over and around the bunkers.
> I could play super tight since the tank was not in the way.
> Since at the time I was running CO2, the remote acts like an expansion chamber.
> The balance on the marker without the tank was not really effected and if it does, you dont notice it on the field.

So why did I switch? My dog chewed my remote coil to death and then I got a 68/45k which didnt fit my harness and eventually figured HPA is easier to fill when it's on the Marker (or I just got used to it).

If you try it... be sure to give it a fair shot. Not just one or two games. more like three or four days of play. You need to get used to it and understand that way it feels and how it affects your game.

I do miss my remote setup sometime :cry:

Ebbed
04-15-2009, 05:15 PM
I have always used remotes, and gas threw stalks. Check out the gas threw stalk that special ops makes, and the ninja quick disconnect remote line. Awesome combo.

SummaryJudgement
04-15-2009, 06:45 PM
Don't plan on sliding into a bunker on your back or laying back easily. Running usually causes a lot of pack bouncing up and down, which I find annoying (remember, freeing up that weight and bulk from the gun has got to put it somewhere else). The hose can at times be annoying, but not too much IMO. I haven't run a remote in over 10 years, but I always preferred having the bottle on gun. I'd only really consider running remote if I was to get a mil-sim/scenario set-up going.

:cheers:

XM15
04-15-2009, 07:50 PM
I played with a remote for a couple of years when it was the thing to do back in the 90's. I actually didn't have much of a choice. I had one of those big Paintball Mania tanks that was like a small scuba tank. The only practical way to use it was remote although they did make a tank mount for it. I never liked being teathered to the gun and I was more than happy to dump the remote.

skyless
04-15-2009, 09:25 PM
Thanks for the imput.
I am thinking using one mostly for a pistol, and swap out valves depending on what type of air to use. Classic for 12g setup, and X for remote setup. If the pistol works good with a remote i may try to dual wield off the one tank. I really dont like hoppers and am planning on switching over to using tube feeds as is get it figured out.

malJohann
04-16-2009, 06:47 AM
I run with a remote-line on my Tac-One setup as a pistol. The tank is in an OPSGEAR MOLLE pouch riding high horizontally across my back on a MOLLE vest. I route the remote across my right shoulder directly to the valve and hold it secure with a cable tie, so there's almost no tension in the coil.

With it setup like this I have no problems sprinting, sliding or lying down on my back in the field (a slide onto my back has saved me countless times during scenarios, because it gives me immediate cover where it would usually be insufficient or at least reduces my target profile and allows me to keep shooting).

Also, switching hands is a breeze because the line does not need to wrap around my body first, matter of fact I can extend my left hand easily to its max straight to the side while holding the marker without it affecting accuracy. I don't see myself ever running with my Tac-One any other way.

http://i40.tinypic.com/27zdu6a.jpg http://i44.tinypic.com/14vsqqq.jpg http://i41.tinypic.com/2cmoy0n.jpg

Shingo
04-16-2009, 11:41 AM
malJohann... Very very nice setup :cheers:

WUNDERWAFFEN
04-16-2009, 01:23 PM
Honestly, once you replace the tank with any kind of stock I do not see why anyone would want to go back to having the tank on gun. I feel that the tank actually hinders the user with its bulk and placement under the gun. What do you guys slide while holding your gun up in the air? I have been running remote for years. First with CO2 a long SS line and a Cooper-T manifold/chamber and now I run a high pressure and a slinky hose. Just the ability to instantly de-gas and work on the gun without any chance of pressure is a huge plus, this would also be great for you guys running with out safteys on your guns.

skyless
04-17-2009, 01:17 AM
What is the coil remote line tubing? I have an old coiled line and it looks alot like braided with a rubber coating. Are new ones much lighter? I was thinking of just using steel braided and having it come over the shoulders so the weight of the hose was held by my body. It would be long enough so i can fully extend my arm. Im worried that the back of the marker will feel too stiff and prevent good movement. With the one I have now it I would need 2 pieces to run the desired lenth for one marker (Ive been called lanky once or twice).
Thanks for the input

malJohann
04-17-2009, 08:09 AM
malJohann... Very very nice setup :cheers:

Thanks Shingo, coming from someone that's been on this forum for almost eight years, that just carries so much more weight. :dance:

Shingo
04-17-2009, 11:46 AM
Skyless... I used to use something like this: Remote Coil (http://cgi.ebay.com/Paintball-Gun-Remote-Coil-On-Off-Quick-Disconnect_W0QQitemZ370186334293QQcmdZViewItemQQpt ZLH_DefaultDomain_2?hash=item370186334293&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A1%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318)
It's much more flexible then the thicker remote coils and and is very comfortable to use. during play you virtually dont notice your running a coil to your marker. The key is to find a harness that is very comfortable on your back (or side) and is very secure. Are you leaning towards running remote?

malJohann... I call it as I see it. your setup makes me think about running remote again. :cheers:

georgeyew
04-17-2009, 12:36 PM
The key is to find a harness that is very comfortable on your back (or side) and is very secure.

Let me share with you my secret.....I use a camelback (for biking) to hold my tank. The camelback (or any hydration pack) is low profile and fits snug and has a chest strap to keep the tank from flapping around. And my 68/45 tank fits very comfy in the opening. Most packs have a zipper opening, so the tank will not slip out.

Shingo
04-17-2009, 01:09 PM
Let me share with you my secret.....I use a camelback (for biking) to hold my tank. The camelback (or any hydration pack) is low profile and fits snug and has a chest strap to keep the tank from flapping around. And my 68/45 tank fits very comfy in the opening. Most packs have a zipper opening, so the tank will not slip out.

THAT IS BRILLIANT!!! :shooting:

I might need to give this a try. What brand/model are you using? Or do you have suggestions on a brand/model camelback?? Maybe we can all find something on ebay or craigslist.

georgeyew
04-17-2009, 01:18 PM
Mine was an old pack that I picked up at Walmart for $10. Almost any hydration pack with normal size bladders will hold a HPA tank.

I think this is it:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10928123

chopper duke
04-17-2009, 01:41 PM
I used on long ago. I found, for me, they were best in long, scenario type games. Otherwise, they just got in the way.

I used a gas through stock with it as well. That kept the "shouldering" of the marker similar.

Warwitch
04-18-2009, 09:30 AM

QFT. Hydration packs work better than most bottle pouches.

ajnin
04-18-2009, 02:10 PM
I agree about the hydro pack, I run with a tac vest that has on built in. Works great.

And one of the main reasons I like running with a remote is that i can pull my marker pretty much to my chest. I use a 8 inch barrel on most my guns so everythign is really tight. I never have an issue getting around obstacles. with everything being so snug I dont have to worry about switching hands i just lean and adjust to shoot left with my right.

Oregon_pb_
04-19-2009, 12:30 AM
remotes are great for CO2 guns, used them all the time back in the day. Everyone did it seemed. Once HP came about it removed the need to offload a >1lb of weight onto your back.

Depending upon your air needs and bottle size it could make sense of course. I still keep 1 of my oooooold remote lines just in case I do want to run one again. The coil remotes are stupid simple to run compared to the original 3-4 ft braided. :D

Watcher
04-19-2009, 02:01 AM
IMHO, remotes go hand in hand with rifle buttstocks.

Having a stock on a marker and a tank just makes it awkward, bulky, and back heavy.

When you add a buttstock, whether for looks or for comfort, or both, the tank should move to your back and get lined to the marker.

I currently run 2 markers remote. One is my milsim Tippmann98 with an air-thru stock, and the other is my Trracer.
The only reason my Trracer is remote is because it has a backbottle valve. The only practicle tank to use on it and still be able to sight down the marker is a 9oz. Not liking that, I put a T-stock in it's place and remote to the T-stock.

My Autococker and my 2 mags are direct air.

Playing remote without a stock does make the marker very light, but you compromize shoulder support and the result is no accuracy...

MKing
04-22-2009, 11:53 PM
I run remote with a qloader and no stock, real close to malJohann's setup.

It keeps things light and tight. I notice that if I get suprised on my left or right it is easier to take a qiuck shot than with a tank.

My least favorite aspect is the lack of ability to put my gun on a table and leave it without having to disconect the air. Its dumb but it can be a pain to be tied to the gun.

Also it makes it real tough for someone to try your gun since you have to take off your whole harness, this may be good or bad depending.

Watcher
04-23-2009, 02:35 AM
If you get a remote, a slide-check is a definite must.

malJohann
04-23-2009, 02:52 AM
I run remote with a qloader and no stock, real close to malJohann's setup.

It keeps things light and tight. I notice that if I get suprised on my left or right it is easier to take a qiuck shot than with a tank.

Oh yes it does. Also ideal for urban CQB situations, snapping through narrow doorways, while crawling its also easier to do a stealthy shot.

My least favorite aspect is the lack of ability to put my gun on a table and leave it without having to disconect the air. Its dumb but it can be a pain to be tied to the gun.

Also it makes it real tough for someone to try your gun since you have to take off your whole harness, this may be good or bad depending.

Get a slide check and your problem is solved. Then pull slide back to degas marker, disconnect and you're free!

hitech
04-24-2009, 08:04 PM
You don't need a pack to hold the tank. I just use two wide velcro straps that go around the tank and your belt with the tank sitting horizontally, An 88ci tank is nice for scenario games but a little too bulky to run on the gun. ;)

:cheers: