PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know anything about crossbows?

master_alexander
04-17-2009, 01:11 AM
Last year I did a fair amount of pig hunting, mainly with a bow.. I've always wanted a crossbow (hey, they look awesome.. :p ) but have never given it much thought. I am unsure if people actually hunt with these or not, i have never seen them. Also not looking to spend a bazillion dollars.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

http://dsp.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/p4758022p275w.jpg
(pictures seem to attract more attention :D)

Dend78
04-17-2009, 10:02 AM
Horton Crosbows ive heard are some of the best, ive never used one but we can only hunt deer with them in late archery season and thats it

Lohman446
04-22-2009, 09:17 AM
I know the people who warn that crossbows will kill the traditional archery season and are using modern compound bows with 80% let off, trigger releases, carbon fiber arrows and carbon steel broadheads are hyporcrites (sp) :P Thats what I know.

master_alexander
04-22-2009, 06:33 PM
baha. i've also never used a traditional longbow. that might also be fun, maybe not to hunt with..

Lohman446
04-22-2009, 09:20 PM
baha. i've also never used a traditional longbow. that might also be fun, maybe not to hunt with..

Oh, I don't deny the skill involved using a modern compound bow. I just question the people who point to its traditionalism. Modern compound bows / modern inline "muzzleloaders" (at least one of which uses smokeless powder and has power numbers to match my 375H+H in the first hundred yards) are about as traditional as a Plymouth Prowler is to a Model T roadster.

pbzmag
04-22-2009, 11:41 PM
I don't really see to many hunters using crossbows. One thing to remember is that many if not all ranges do not allow crossbows on their bales. You may be able to buy a crossbow target bag/cube and use that but you should ask park ranger to see if it's ok.