PDA

View Full Version : Velocity is Low, please help

wolftune
04-17-2009, 01:35 AM
I'm recently bought a used Minimag (I think it's the classic valve, level 7). I love the feel and design of this marker. I also own a Palmers Pyre and I feel that the minimag has a similar conception (longevity and "solidness") in that it is handmade with solid mechanical parts. However, I can't get the velocity over 265 on this thing

I bought a replacement parts kit and replaced just about every o-ring I could find and also the ball detent system. I also lightly oiled most of the parts and put a dab in the ASA.

Basically, when I crank the velocity (it's the velocity adjuster you can tighten with your fingers and, yes, I did shim it to see if that was the problem), the pressure relief kicks in and air comes out of the back hole. I'm pretty sure that's all part of the design, but it's frustrating to shoot between 240 and 260 when others are getting the edge on you at 280.

Is there a common reason for low velocity, even when the pressure is high enough to come out the back? I tested the paintballs in the barrel, and they don't start rolling out, which in theory could cause low velocity I guess. Also, I'm using an HPA tank with 850 PSI preset pressure, so that shouldn't be the reason. Did I mess up an o-ring replacement?

Oh, and when I took apart the back end, the part where the spring pack comes out and there's an allen nut inside a brass sleeve, there was old paint and gunk in there. I cleaned it and lightly oiled it, but maybe there's some gunk somewhere else that could be causing the problem?

Any help would be excellent. Thanks in advance.

Oh,
On a seperate note, I only found 2 places to put the tiny, white teflon o-rings. There are 4 with the kit. The two I replaced are on what I believe is called the on-off piece. Where do the other two go?

Shingo
04-17-2009, 02:36 PM
you might need to replace the Regulator Piston Assembly. So you can tighted the velocity adjustment knob even tighter without getting the leak out the back.

Regulator Piston Assembly (http://store.airgundesignsusa.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=catalog.prodInfo&productID=30&categoryID=18)

I've also heard some people JB Weld the hex nut in the piston to stop all leaks... but this is a safety feature in Mags and is not recommended.

BigTrucker
04-17-2009, 05:48 PM
I had the same thing happen to me when I picked up a used mag. I picked up a new reg piston and the stock reg nut and every thing is all good. I dont think that the spring pak will go bad, but you never know. I never had to replace one.

secretweaponevan
04-17-2009, 05:56 PM
Wow, great post. Very clear.

The two other teflon o-rings are extras. You only need 2.

As stated, you will need a new regulator piston (unless you are handy and have access to a vise and allen keys).

Edit: You should use white lithium grease on the velocity adjuster nut's threads.

wolftune
04-17-2009, 07:12 PM
Wow, thanks all for the great replies. Looks like I'll have to replace that regulator piston assembly. Hopefully that will fix everything.

Thanks again for the quick and excellent replies.