PDA

View Full Version : Level 10 Bolts - Stability/Reliability Over Time?

Lancer X
04-24-2009, 09:48 AM
Hi all. Another Mag newb question coming online... :p

I bought a level 10 bolt kit for my "new" ULE classic (Minimag valve) Mag (http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?t=241476) . I have been prepping for the install by reading about the tuning procedure, etc. and am coming up with questions.

Seeing as the proper function of the lvl 10 bolt depends on the fit of the carrier o-ring, I'm wondering how stable the setup will be over time? Will the setup eventually go kablooey as the carrier o-ring wears during play? If so, how long does the setup usually last before one needs to re-fit a new o-ring?

rawbutter
04-24-2009, 10:13 AM
You are correct... but not exactly in the right way.

A brand new LX o-ring is a little hard and needs to get broken in. So, after a case of paint or two, you often have to go down a carrier size.

After that, however, the o-ring can last a VERY long time (I'm talking years) as long as its kept oiled. Personally, I can tell you that I've had my x-valve for almost two years and I haven't changed any o-rings yet (although I do have to change my carrier size when I play during the summer)... and I have no idea how long those o-rings were in there from the previous owner. I just oil up the internals after every case of paint or so.

The only time I've had to change o-rings on other mags I've owned is when they've been sitting in a closet for a VERY long time and the o-ring dried out, or when I accidentally ran liquid CO2 through the gun.

Edit: nice mag, by the way. I love the clean, simple look.

Lancer X
04-24-2009, 11:08 AM
Thanks, Raw. I'm a fan of light, simple markers, so I really like this configuration. The valve is kinda heavy, but its weight is situated very near the balance-point, so it isn't bothersome. I'll probably get an aluminum X-Valve later on, but for now I need a non-RT setup for a tourney we're playing.

That's good news re. the carrier o-ring. How about shooting drastically different sizes of paint? Can that throw your setup for a loop?

(I'm mostly playing outlaw this year, and I've found that the rec-grade paint is really small - like .382 or so. I'm worried if I tune with this stuff and then play at a field selling .390 paint, the bolt will act up?)

athomas
04-24-2009, 05:23 PM
Once the level 10 is setup properly, you shouldn't have to touch it again after the break-in period. The break-in period is generally due to initial wearing of the inner edge of the oring. Its normal and just smooths the contact surface of the oring. At this point, you're probably not going to have to worry about it for many, many cases of paint if you keep your mag clean and oiled.

Paint size has no affect on a properly tuned level 10 bolt setup.

Lancer X
04-24-2009, 11:12 PM
Thanks all - looking forward to fiddling with the lvl 10 soon.

For tomorrow, just playing with the stock bolt and a force fed hopper (VLocity) - we'll see how it does without the level 10. :)