PDA

View Full Version : Dealing with roll-outs

drewkroeker
04-27-2009, 01:27 AM
Today I went paintballing for the first time this year. It was awesome! A friend and I switched off between my excalibur and my pneumag. I managed to get eliminations with either gun, but I had/still have some issues with the excalibur.

I sized my paint to what I thought was the correct freak bore. I used a .689 in the pneumag and it worked fine all day. I tried the same bore in the excal and ran into problems. I would fire and the ball would get stuck. After five shots of nothing happening, the next shot would send all the balls through. As you can imagine, this shotgun dispersal pattern and the accompanying barrel break made for less than stellar accuracy. It happened twice before I clued in and switched to a bigger bore size ( .693). Keep in mind this was midgrade nightmare brand paint and the weather is unusually cold for the end of april in Manitoba.

Now, there were no more jams, but I had to remind my friend to keep the barrel pointed up to prevent the ball from rolling out. I also advised him to always take two or more shots at his opponent so that he wouldn't miss due to a roll-out. We still had a great time, but it was just one more thing to worry about.

On the drive home I started thinking about what I could do to solve the problem (other than trade the excal in for a viking which is open bolt :rolleyes: ) Would a barrel with wedgits from Palmers do the trick? Does anyone have any close up pics of wedgits? I don't even know what they look like. My other thought was having a machinist mill a small detent slit into the top of the gun and the threaded end of the barrel. I would put a wire detent in, much like the ones already on the excal.

What do you guys think?

Watcher
04-27-2009, 02:56 AM
.689 to .693 is a big step, no wonder they were rolling out.

Generally speaking, underboring wont have paint stick in the barrel unless it is severely underbored (like, won't even enter the bore severe) or the gun is not outputting enough pressure on the ball.

You said that you used the same paint as in the mag and the mag shot fine with the .689 so I'd say your Excal has a problem...

I don't think wedgits would be the way to go, I'd get them only if aftermarket barrels in the right threads are hard to come by and the marker lacks detents and/or is closed bolt.
Perfect example is a PMI Trracer, no detent (unless it's the delux model in which case it is still more of an "anti-double-feed" than a detent), and aside from a J&J ceramic there is only one more aftermarket barrel (the name escapes me) but nothing in a broad range of bores.

They look like this though:
http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/7724/wedgit.jpg