PDA

View Full Version : FN303 in the news

Gunga
04-27-2009, 09:10 PM
GAO report on non lethal weapon programs (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,518142,00.html)

"The FN303 Less-Lethal Launching System, a souped-up paintball gun, was heavy and fell apart easily. Nevertheless, it was deployed for a while even though the DoD never figured out how to properly supply the compressed-air canisters the guns needed."

Smoothice
04-27-2009, 09:40 PM
hmmm

Thats the first i've seen calling it a hunk of junk.

Interesting. Very interesting.

mechman
04-27-2009, 10:05 PM
DoD never figured out how to properly supply the compressed-air canisters the guns needed
i dont get it they had trouble acquiring what a 13 yr old with his mothers credit card can get easily or was it a matter of not being able to figure out the fill stations? :confused:......im very concerned about the individuals running our government honestly the stupidity boggles the mind. :tard:

Geronimo7
04-27-2009, 10:11 PM
Nevertheless, it was deployed for a while even though the DoD never figured out how to properly supply the compressed-air canisters the guns needed.[/I]"

:rofl: they coulda just posted here on AO...... we would have helped em :rofl:

Bagheera
04-27-2009, 10:35 PM
It's on "Fair & Balanced" FOX news, so take it with a grain of salt. Or a whole sackful of salt.

zondo
04-28-2009, 12:08 AM
It's on "Fair & Balanced" FOX news, so take it with a grain of salt. Or a whole sackful of salt.

Well...

The FN303 Less-Lethal Launching System, a souped-up paintball gun, was heavy and fell apart easily.
Compared to...

For example, the FN-303 Less-Lethal Launching System program, which DOD spent about $2 million to evaluate, was terminated because the weapon was too heavy and
ergonomically cumbersome, the weapon and ammunition magazine was too fragile...

and...

Nevertheless, it was deployed for a while even though the DoD never figured out how to properly supply the compressed-air canisters the guns needed.
Compared to...

...and the weapon required compressed air canisters in order to launch its non-lethal munitions. However, several dozen FN-303s were fielded to units even though their utility was limited by the availability of the canisters and the infrastructure to replenish them (see fig. 4).

I don't think it's too much opinion...

Old School 626
04-28-2009, 01:12 AM
The Emperor wears no clothes....

druid
04-28-2009, 03:35 AM
Well, I'm no DoD employee but we use 6 of them at work and I have to tell you...our 870 shotguns are a lot heavier............My almost stock A5 weighs more.

........and the inmates really HATE getting shot with them....

........and are simple to fill that even my 9yr old could do it.....

.....but it's the DoD and they already have a predisposition to less-lethal implements. remember their job.......to kill people and blow crap up. Can't do that with the FN303 (unless you shoot them in the head like a zombie)..... :tard:

Destructo6
04-28-2009, 03:52 AM
I think it's more a matter of "where do I get a HPA tank filled in Kirkuk?" rather than, "how do I fill a HPA tank."

I have little interest in using it, past the novely factor. I'm certified in the pepperball launcher (Tippman 98) and rarely use it. If I'm carrying something long, it will be my M4.

JesseB
04-28-2009, 09:45 AM
Probably hard to find a 3k compressor in Iraq. Makes good sense to me.

But you would think if they spent 2 million testing it they could afford a few hundred thousand to buy compressors for the places they were using them

Or buy one compressor and ship a few SCUBA tanks in the supply chain to the places that have the FN on duty.

Watcher
04-28-2009, 01:11 PM
Sounds like a guy writing a report just to get the paycheck :rolleyes:

I have sincere doubts that anything made by the combined efforts of Tom Kaye and the staff at Fabrique Nationale De Herstal would "fall apart"...

Smoothice
04-28-2009, 01:56 PM
I wonder how one of these would work on co2?

It would have been pretty easy to put a 12 gram changer on there. Who cares if you only get 12 good shots. The thing only holds 10 rounds anyways.

So while you put a new magazine in you stick a new 12 gram in too.

Would be a big weight saver as well.

paullus99
04-28-2009, 09:01 PM
GAO has a tendency to be over-critical, especially on anything related to DoD. They are also the same ones that claimed the HUMVEE was a huge waste of resources.

doc_Zox
04-28-2009, 09:26 PM
a US soldier can break an aluminum baseball bat,
They can bend rifle barrels using flash hiders as prybars
stepping on a FN303 magazine would be quite easy to accomplish

I gather 3000 psi fill stations are not part of the supply chain

rifleman wi
04-28-2009, 11:33 PM
a US soldier can break an aluminum baseball bat,
They can bend rifle barrels using flash hiders as prybars
stepping on a FN303 magazine would be quite easy to accomplish

I gather 3000 psi fill stations are not part of the supply chain
if i run into the guys again who use them out here, ill have to ask them what they do for fills.

DamianTC
05-03-2009, 10:23 PM
I doubt those soldiers shooting them were walking the trigger firing off case after case of 2000 pepperballs.. It wouldn't look like the line of players waiting at the fill station between games.. enough air wasn't the issue... all this "less lethal" stuff came out after 9/11 at the begining of the war when we wanted to capture.. not kill the people responsible for 9/11. It seems our goverment is starting to lose interest in that plan now

Frizzle Fry
05-03-2009, 10:46 PM
Sounds like a guy writing a report just to get the paycheck :rolleyes:

I have sincere doubts that anything made by the combined efforts of Tom Kaye and the staff at Fabrique Nationale De Herstal would "fall apart"...

The clamshell body screams Tippmann to me, and though they're hard to break, they're easy to f-up while attempting to maintain them. Also, there's lots and lots of plastic in the magazine and forend. I've handled one once and it could survive a long lot of woodsball play, but in the desert that'd be a different story. Automags work fine exposed to water, but simple STBBs are the only semi automatic markers I've encountered that can handle constant sand and grit...

JesseB
05-04-2009, 01:09 PM
So does this mean we could possibly purchase some surplus!?!?

Look at the bright side their loss is our gain!!!

rifleman wi
05-04-2009, 01:50 PM
So does this mean we could possibly purchase some surplus!?!?

Look at the bright side their loss is our gain!!!

the sad part is seeing all the crushed or broken coded out ones over here.... :(

rifleman wi
05-06-2009, 02:53 PM
talked to some of the guys today... they were pretty vague.. but they said there's a place out here that has a fill station that fills the tanks for them.

druid
05-06-2009, 04:48 PM
let's not forget that these aren't going to be used in hot (combat) zones..........more like border crossings, detention areas, places where less-lethal instruments keep the "Public Relations" aspect of the 'invading force' at a 'more reasonable' level....

Hell, we use them almost every day at work. In our use of force paradigm, they are in the same category as our Tasers and OC spray......

rifleman wi
05-06-2009, 11:38 PM
let's not forget that these aren't going to be used in hot (combat) zones..........more like border crossings, detention areas, places where less-lethal instruments keep the "Public Relations" aspect of the 'invading force' at a 'more reasonable' level....

Hell, we use them almost every day at work. In our use of force paradigm, they are in the same category as our Tasers and OC spray......
out here ive heard stories from guys on the streets saying that their more scared of the 303 than the M2.