PDA

View Full Version : What do you think about q-loaders?

om3n
04-29-2009, 08:37 AM
I play a ton of woodsball, in fact that's really all I play. I have never had the opportunity to ask anyone who had one what they think about q-loaders, and since I am in the market for a new hopper now (if I can end up canceling my order for a halo I was trying to buy off amazon.... the seller shipped me the wrong color :rolleyes: ) I am considering the q-loader. Now I love the idea of a full mechanical extremely fast feeder (since I love the idea of pwning guys who have electric guns with my mech automag- a mech feeder would be a nice addition) but I have heard that q-loaders chop alot of paint, and also have other problems. What do you guys think?

Thanks again guys- I hope i'm not starting too many topics here. I really want to get into paintball this summer, and this is the best forum I've seen for paintball! So it's your own fault for being such a great place for information :p

punkncat
04-29-2009, 09:23 AM
My personal opinion of them is that it's a great idea in theory that just did not pan out to be as nice in real life.
My issue with them is the loading and smooth operation of the system ,as well as it's overall ruggedness. They are a pain to load, and even bigger pain to load correctly, they require a special kit to load in the first place, and the whole system is just prone to various breakages.

om3n
04-29-2009, 09:32 AM
My personal opinion of them is that it's a great idea in theory that just did not pan out to be as nice in real life.
My issue with them is the loading and smooth operation of the system ,as well as it's overall ruggedness. They are a pain to load, and even bigger pain to load correctly, they require a special kit to load in the first place, and the whole system is just prone to various breakages.

I don't mind taking the time to load them, but is the system poorly designed? What sort of breakages do you mean?

punkncat
04-29-2009, 09:47 AM
Well, I have seen the springs, pods and lids break fairly easily.....as well as the loader itself breaking in various places.

Good friend of mine bought the system and four pods. I have seen him use it twice. Two of the pods are already broken, and the loader is "repaired" with this super glue baking soda mixture he made up. One of the pods broke during loading, the other after being dropped behind the bunker during a game...have to keep in mind that it is only a bit over 100 shots as well....The loader broke just seemingly for no reason in the middle of loading.

If the loading of it doesn't go "just so" then either you skip shots, or the last dozen or so balls stay in the tube. It is of course a learning thing, once you figure out the "how" or properly loading, and changing pods on the fly and all. For all the trouble it is I will just stick with a hopper or a warp.

There are quite a few people on here that use them as well, and I am sure that they will have different opinions on the system as a whole.

malJohann
04-29-2009, 09:53 AM
I don't mind taking the time to load them, but is the system poorly designed? What sort of breakages do you mean?

I don't agree with punkncat at all. I absolutely love my Q-loader. Only thing is it doesn't tolerate brittle shell paintballs, but you want tough shell paintballs for woodsball anyway so that's a non-issue. Since you already have a force feeder loading will be a breeze for you, just hook it up to the crank, switch on and load your q-pod in a matter of seconds. Oh, and if you get this hook your 'mag up with a Warp Body.

Pro's for me:
No balls that rattle when I move.
Low profile, since it doesn't sit on top.
No batteries to die on me.
Previous issues seem pretty much resolved with Gen3, which is what I have.
Tool-less maintenance.
And of course, its still the fastest loader on the market at 100bps freefall.
Feeds in absolute silence and is always ready, no auto-shutdown to save batteries.

Con's for me:
Limited ball capacity of 100 paintballs per Q-pod, would have liked 140 paintballs.
Initial setup may take a while, but then you're set, just keep the 14 factory prewinds.

punkncat
04-29-2009, 09:56 AM

This may be an important factor in the issues as well. I have not seen any of the "new" ones.

om3n
04-29-2009, 09:58 AM
I don't agree with punkncat at all. I absolutely love my Q-loader. Only thing is it doesn't tolerate brittle shell paintballs, but you want tough shell paintballs for woodsball anyway so that's a non-issue. Since you already have a force feeder loading will be a breeze for you, just hook it up to the crank, switch on and load your q-pod in a matter of seconds. Oh, and if you get this hook your 'mag up with a Warp Body.

Pro's for me:
Tool-less maintenance.
Feeds in absolute silence and is always ready, no auto-shutdown to save batteries.

Con's for me:
Limited ball capacity of 100 paintballs per Q-pod, would have liked 140 paintballs.
Initial setup may take a while, but then you're set, just keep the 14 factory prewinds.

Cool :) Yeah I only use high quality paint (fireball is the only paint I use), so I think I will look into getting the q-loader if my order for the halo is canceled.

I heard they are considering making pods with a 140 round capacity... is that only a rumor? And more opinions would be great! :)

malJohann
04-29-2009, 10:00 AM
..If the loading of it doesn't go "just so" then either you skip shots, or the last dozen or so balls stay in the tube...

Loading with a force-feeder resolves the "just so" issues, cranking one revolution before you start loading balls resolves the problem of balls staying in the Q-pod, and extra balls staying in the tube is a non-issue in my mind, especially because I preload my tube for full capacity pods from the start and since it behaves the same as a stock feed (rock'n'cock baby) if the pod is empty.

malJohann
04-29-2009, 10:04 AM
Cool :) Yeah I only use high quality paint (fireball is the only paint I use), so I think I will look into getting the q-loader if my order for the halo is canceled.

Its not about quality paint, its about tough shelled paint. I tried Allstars on my first day, which broke in the pods and feed neck. Switched to Formula13 on the same day and no problems since.

I heard they are considering making pods with a 140 round capacity... is that only a rumor? And more opinions would be great! :)

Don't know, but it would rule though, especially if they found a way to pack the 140 rounds into the same space, like two helixes of paintballs one inside the other.

om3n
04-29-2009, 10:06 AM
Its not about quality paint, its about tough shelled paint. I tried Allstars on my first day, which broke in the pods and feed neck. Switched to Formula13 on the same day and no problems since.

Don't know, but it would rule though, especially if they found a way to pack the 140 rounds into the same space, like two helixes of paintballs one inside the other.

I see. Yeah fireball is extremely tough too- I have in my mag (long story... the on/off was messed up) had about 5 round actually JAM on the bolt and get stuck there without breaking.

Would you suggest getting a new system, or used?

Swamp Thing
04-29-2009, 10:08 AM
I have mixed feelings on the q

I have had mostly gen 2 and I had to send a lot of them back cause the plastic spiral housing in the middle would crack after use.

Loading is a pain so I like many developed a bulk loader tht used a home depot five galllon bucket and a force fed hopper to be able to load multiple pods at a time.

When it works it is sweet but lately I find myself using a hopper more and more. I do miss the unobstructed sight line that I have with my q and may give it one more try.

Other pain is that unless your whole team is useing them you can not swap paint in the heat of the battle either to give or get.

Swamp

going_home
04-29-2009, 10:11 AM

I heard they are considering making pods with a 140 round capacity... is that only a rumor? And more opinions would be great! :)You will need to keep the Halo and use it to load the Qloader.

punkncat
04-29-2009, 10:20 AM
I have mixed feelings on the q

I have had mostly gen 2 and I had to send a lot of them back cause the plastic spiral housing in the middle would crack after use.

Loading is a pain so I like many developed a bulk loader tht used a home depot five galllon bucket and a force fed hopper to be able to load multiple pods at a time.

When it works it is sweet but lately I find myself using a hopper more and more. I do miss the unobstructed sight line that I have with my q and may give it one more try.

Other pain is that unless your whole team is useing them you can not swap paint in the heat of the battle either to give or get.

Swamp

Yeah, it is kind of hard to beat the simplicity of snap....pull.....snap....pour.

om3n
04-29-2009, 10:32 AM
Yeah, it is kind of hard to beat the simplicity of snap....pull.....snap....pour.

Well I think for the type of playing I do the q will work just fine- we often have tons of time between games and I'll be able to load pods with enough time. I will look at picking up a cheap used halo for loading in the future, but thankfully I was able to cancel my order so I can now consider other options.

So I have a few questions because I've never had the chance to feel/study a q-loader for myself...

1) when the loaded pods are not on the gun, what keeps the rounds from shooting out of the pod? Is it easy for this mechanism to become disengaged and for paint to shoot all over the place, for example from diving or sliding behind a bunker?

2) how does the stock loading process work, without a force feed hopper?

3) If I do decided to buy a used one, is there some indication on the system's parts to indicated it's a gen. 3 q?

pk5
04-29-2009, 11:12 AM
Well I think for the type of playing I do the q will work just fine- we often have tons of time between games and I'll be able to load pods with enough time. I will look at picking up a cheap used halo for loading in the future, but thankfully I was able to cancel my order so I can now consider other options.

So I have a few questions because I've never had the chance to feel/study a q-loader for myself...

1) when the loaded pods are not on the gun, what keeps the rounds from shooting out of the pod? Is it easy for this mechanism to become disengaged and for paint to shoot all over the place, for example from diving or sliding behind a bunker?

2) how does the stock loading process work, without a force feed hopper?

3) If I do decided to buy a used one, is there some indication on the system's parts to indicated it's a gen. 3 q?

1) It is hard to disengage this mechanism simply because the only way to disengage it, is to take a screw driver or another pointy object and push down on the hole at the top of the lid. It still require some force, so it is not easy to trip that mechanism accidentally. It basically work nearly the same was as your clicky pen, where if it is pushed down by the mounting mechanism, then it rotate.

2. Without a force feed hopper, you use the silo and kinda have to shake every now and then like a regular (non - force feed) hopper, even a revy will work, just that like any standard loader, the silo can be jammed every now and then and you have to shake it.

3. I am not sure on that one at all, maybe the white plastic core instead of the black plastic core?

Warwitch
04-29-2009, 12:18 PM

Pro's for me:
Tool-less maintenance.

Con's for me:

Johann hit a lot of the pros/cons. A couple Id like to add:

Pro: much more simple system than any elec loader out there. Except the Revvy of course.

Con: reloading efficiently during a firefight takes lots of practice.

I used one almost exclusively for about a year and just found that a normal, top feeding hopper setup just made more sense. They have their uses but generally speaking they arent worth the learning curve IMO.

om3n
04-29-2009, 12:27 PM
Johann hit a lot of the pros/cons. A couple Id like to add:

Pro: much more simple system than any elec loader out there. Except the Revvy of course.

Con: reloading efficiently during a firefight takes lots of practice.

I used one almost exclusively for about a year and just found that a normal, top feeding hopper setup just made more sense. They have their uses but generally speaking they arent worth the learning curve IMO.

yeah another question I had- how difficult is it to switch pods in a firefight? Is it just like removing/putting in a magazine?

pk5
04-29-2009, 12:34 PM
yeah another question I had- how difficult is it to switch pods in a firefight? Is it just like removing/putting in a magazine?

Yes, just like switching a magazine, just make sure that if you still have extra rounds inside the hose don't let them fall out.

The way i mounted mine, i just turn my gun horizontally, pull out empty pod, put in new one, twist it to activate and i can fire again - faster than feeding a loader for my case.

Warwitch
04-29-2009, 12:36 PM

Well its a twist-lock kind of deal so it does take some getting used to. Thats a biggie for pod placement on the marker too. Lots of arrangements look cool but are not very practical. I found (after much experimentation) that a forward facing pod is by far the best for reloading times.

Here is how I ran mine. Pretty much right where a Warp would be.

http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/4979/cqbtacxy0.jpg

No, I dont own it anymore so dont ask.

om3n
04-29-2009, 01:03 PM
Ok it sounds like I'm really going to like a q-loader.

unfortunately I can't see pictures right now (at work... sites like photobucket are blocked) so I'll check it out later, but I am definitely going to get one now :) I think I'm going to buy new because I want all gen. 3 stuff.

Thanks again guys- any more pictures or advice are still welcome!

MKing
04-29-2009, 02:34 PM
I also run mine low and on the side. I have since cut down my feedneck about an inch so the tube doesn't stick up as much.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j205/mking2673/automagrtproqloader.jpg

As far as recomendation goes, it really comes down to what type of player you are. If you want to gas up your marker and go without any headache DO NOT get a qloader. Even when you know the system it takes some work and maintanance. If you don't mind (or even enjoy) spending some time prepping and cleaning your gear then you can should start considering the qloader.

If you do get it, make sure that you spend a good amount of time before you play a game getting to know it in your back yard. Load it, unload it, reload it, take it apart and try to shake down all the problems that you may have. If you don't then your first day with it will have problems and be sitting trying to fix it.

om3n
04-29-2009, 05:22 PM
Thanks for the pictures guys- and btw your kid is awesome in that pic

and also, this may sound strange, but all that prep is actually appealing to me :p

When I first got my mag, the first thing I did was pull it all apart and figure out how it worked... that's just how I am. I like to build my own/modify my own stuff when possible, and that is actually one reason I decided to try getting into mags. I think the q-loader sounds perfect for me actually.

So what do you guys think I will need for the setup like you have? Does the mounting bracket you guys use come with a new q-loader package? Also, do I need some odd feed neck thing to screw in where my current neck is?

BTW, since you guys uploaded some pics of your mags, here is the one I'm planning on putting the q-loader on. BTW I am planning on getting a 15* asa for the front grip... my current one is all scratched up :( Also I am about to buy an RPG splinter pro from tuna here in a bit if he will pm me back... ;)

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii191/om3n07/n1035217252_419931_8079553.jpg

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii191/om3n07/n1035217252_419935_5919209.jpg

Warwitch
04-29-2009, 05:43 PM
Mine was mounted using the CMS and a Warp mounting plate.

maniacmechanic
04-29-2009, 05:44 PM
Q's are ok , so are hoppers , just depends on how you play here are some more pic's for ya
Just don't be dissapointed , like someone else said there is a learning curve , a 1/4" difference in hose length can make a world of difference in how well it will work

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m156/maniacmechanic59/100_1614.jpg

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m156/maniacmechanic59/markers/IMG_2986.jpg

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m156/maniacmechanic59/100_1078.jpg

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m156/maniacmechanic59/100_0825.jpg

MANN
04-29-2009, 05:47 PM

I concur. :cheers:

great theory. but they are a pita

om3n
04-29-2009, 05:49 PM
Mine was mounted using the CMS and a Warp mounting plate.

cms? What is that?

MANN
04-29-2009, 05:50 PM
cms? What is that?

a kit qloader makes.

pk5
04-29-2009, 05:50 PM
Basically for the mounting, if it look like it is clamping into a round part like an asa or a barrel, then it is the stock one that come with it. If it look like it is mounted using a bar of some sort and doesn't attached directly into an asa/round rod of somekind then it is the CMS that you need to buy as an add on.

I manage to pick up about 15 extra Qpods when everyone was getting rid of them for cheap, so now if one of my pod doesn't work i just pull a new one and fix it later when i get home.

maniacmechanic
04-29-2009, 05:51 PM
& here is a kit for ya ; http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?t=241968

om3n
04-29-2009, 06:10 PM
& here is a kit for ya ; http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?t=241968

I think I want all gen 3 stuff anyways, but thanks for the link to that kit- I actually have been pm'ing the seller of that kit for a while and we couldn't agree so for now I'm not going to pick it up :) I will probably just get new from q-loader.

EDIT

wow you guys are helpful :clap:

I think I have enough info for now; I am convinced that the q-loader is probably going to be perfect for me. once I get it, I may have some more questions for you guys, (like about hose length as mentioned above) but for now I feel satisfied :D

Watcher
04-29-2009, 11:15 PM
The Q is a wonderfully engineered system and props to the guys who thought it up, but in executiuon there are some flaws.

The biggest (pun intended) are the pods. They are as big as DYE lock lids and will refuse to fit in certain paks. You need to be careful choosing a pak or if you already have and use a pak you need to make sure they will fit.

I also think the Q is large and bulky as a kit.

The second issue is the loading. I don't know if they fixed it, but I've seen guys cigar-slice paintballs twisting the pod to lock it in place.

If you don't preload the feed-tube you can break a lot of paint letting the balls fly loose into the gun.

No over-ride so that if the Q somehow fails you are screwed.

You can't share or borrow paint to/from anyone unless they also have Qs.

No partial loading because if there is paint in the pod and you detach it, you can break paint or make a mess. If you have 15 rounds left you need to use those 15 rounds.

Only 100 rounds in a pod.

Depending on where it is mounted it can throw off the weight of the marker severely.

And the attachment point of the Q reciever seems small and flimsy.

However, no loader is faster, it is easy to clean, low profile, and it will work on any gun.

Now the warp has some disadvantages as well, but I think when you weight the disadvantages and the advatages of the warp and the Q the warp comes out on top.

The warp uses existing pods and loaders and that means you can also paint share and pods don't cost $50.

You don't need to preload the feed tube before loading.

It feeds about 16bps or 26 with the 18V mod which is plenty fast.

It has a manual override button if the sensors give out, and in the event of an emergency with some quick thinking you can ghetto-rig the hopper to the adapter elbow and still feed paint.

It is lower profile than the Q depending on what hopper you use (some argue it is a bigger profile because it sticks out farther to the side, but your arm completely covers the warp to the extent that anything that would hit the warp would hit you first). The Q, though smaller from the front, is a much larger system.

The warp itself holds about 16 paintballs, add a hopper and you can have, in the case of a Pinokio, over 400 paintballs in a load.

The warp is fairly quiet.

The warp is super easy to clean (open shell, remove wheel, whipe out shells, whipe wheel, replace wheel, close shells).

It mounts to the grip frame centering the weight in the middle of the gun.

And the mounting bracket for the warp, though limited in range of positions (which it really doesn't suffer from), is super strong.

The disadvantages are batteries, no on/off switch, hoppers can interfere with the hose placement, and you need to take time to set up and tune it to your gun.

I swear by the warp, and will never use a Q, many are the exact opposite.
It all just depends on which factors you like better.

malJohann
04-30-2009, 03:10 AM
I bought 4 pods and the Tiberius mod kit, which is by far the most versatile kit available when it comes to 'mags. The feed elbow adapter even screws directly into your angel threaded 'mag body. Here's my setup, mounted directly to the rail wings.

Current:
http://i40.tinypic.com/27zdu6a.jpg
http://i44.tinypic.com/14vsqqq.jpg

Before (please note that there was no gas or paint anywhere nearby when these photo's were taken):
http://i34.tinypic.com/2ebtvud.jpg
http://i37.tinypic.com/2ps27f9.jpg
http://i33.tinypic.com/2en01i1.jpg
http://i35.tinypic.com/10dtlra.jpg

..Would you suggest getting a new system, or used?

Get a new one, then you're guaranteed its gen 3 and you get a warranty.

..Con: reloading efficiently during a firefight takes lots of practice...

IMO not if you get the Reckless Fistpack from the Q-loader site. Because then each pod has a sleeve on with Velcro on the outside, so take the pod off your marker, stick it to the belt then rip off the next one and put it in the marker. Simple really.

Also, another pro for me is the fact that your marker can be oriented any which way, the Q-pod will still feed, even upside down or pointing directly up or down.

..I found (after much experimentation) that a forward facing pod is by far the best for reloading times...

Agreed. I run mine on the side. Balance isn't really affected, and I play one-handed pistol grip style.

..I think the q-loader sounds perfect for me actually...

It does and by the look of your setup my guess your playing style is a little laid back or you play ghost flanker, which makes it perfect for the role.

The second issue is the loading. I don't know if they fixed it, but I've seen guys cigar-slice paintballs twisting the pod to lock it in place.

With the supplied ball retention spring in place and the correct hose length this will never happen.

Actually the Q-loader is better than all others in this respect, since each pod contains its own mechanism, so if it stops feeding you just twist it out and put in another pod.

No partial loading because if there is paint in the pod and you detach it, you can break paint or make a mess. If you have 15 rounds left you need to use those 15 rounds.

Absolute nonsense. I have removed partially loaded pods from my marker countless times to top up and have had absolutely no problems. It spits out about 2 paintballs that were in line to be fed, but other than that there's no problem.

..and pods don't cost $50...

If you're payed $50 someone took you for a ride. You pay $21.95 directly from Q-loader at the moment for a single pod and get discount if you buy more pods. Matter of fact $109.95 buys you six pods.

..It mounts to the grip frame centering the weight in the middle of the gun...

The warp still puts leverage on that attachment point, so the felt weight is still off to the side.

WARHEAD
04-30-2009, 04:07 AM

This is an issue with not having the proper length of hose. They discuss this in the manual. The hose needs to be an approximate size so that where the magazine and receiver meet will be as close to being "in between" paintballs as possible.

If you don't preload the feed-tube you can break a lot of paint letting the balls fly loose into the gun.

I don't really see how this is a problem... It takes 2 seconds before a game to preload the hose.

The q-loader is a helical magazine, which means that the entire functional (read: mechanical) part of the feed system is in the magazine itself. If it "fails" you remove the magazine, and replace it with another, as they are all self-contained systems.

Again, if the hose is the proper length, detaching a partial magazine is not a problem and will never break paint. You will more than likely have to drop 4 or 5 balls, but it will not break paint.

Only 100 rounds in a pod.

This could be argued as an advantage for the sake of weight savings. The Q-loader itself is not light, but I am willing to bet it is lighter than a warp setup with a fast loader and 100 balls. This comes down to preference. You may want to take 400 rounds already in your loader, but quite often I will come off the field and have used less than 30 balls. The majority of the time I have no reason to reload on the field other than very large woodsball games.

Depending on where it is mounted it can throw off the weight of the marker severely.

I don't see how this is any different from any other "alternative" feeding design, and in cases where it would throw off the weight so much, it is likely for a trade off of having a very compact setup.

Some of your arguments are valid and I can agree, in some situations you would want more than 100 rounds, and q-pods do take a while to fill if you don't use a hopper to assist, but honestly, to be able to do what they do without batteries... they're the perfect match for any fully mechanical gun, especially an automag like mine, that pulls 19bps over the chrono bouncing a ULT. Just like I'd trust my lvl10 over eyes, and just like I'd take a pneumatic grip over an electronic one, the q-loader accomplishes what electronics do (and often outdoes them) without anything to worry about other than good old mechanics... and sorry to say, any electronic system of any kind in a paintball marker is still relying on mechanical parts, often meaning they are just as prone to some sort of failure... other than dead batteries of course.

Watcher
04-30-2009, 04:59 AM
Well from what you guys are saying it looks like the ones I've used either had an incompetent person set them up, were lemons, or any issues they had were resolved by the company.

I guess it all boils down to which you like better.

Me? I like the warp.
You? You like the Q.

Honestly, though, now that I think about it I was foolish to bring it up, the Warp and Q are similar but vastly different in operation and objective.
Although they have their likenesses, you really can't compare them. It'd be like comparing a Subaru STi 4 banger with forced induction to a Ford Mustang full bore V8 naturally asperated...
Or for that matter, apples to oranges.

Aside from that the time periods in which they were used led to different upbringings. The warp was made to combat hi-rise feednecks, the Q was just made to be, well, different if anything else.
Probably to give scenario players more of a magazine fed feeling.

Either way they are both highly innovative products.

Warwitch
04-30-2009, 07:24 AM
IMO Warp > Q.

Something I forgot to note: if you live in a humid area like I do (S. Florida) forget the Q. Its a nightmare in the Summer.

om3n
04-30-2009, 09:29 PM
Another question. For those of you who use the qloader, I am going to probably buy it in the next couple weeks, and I am thinking about getting the kit that comes with 5 pods, the reloading system, the CMS mounting hardware, and the 4+1 pack.

I was wondering if any of you have the 4+1, and I was wondering if it was any good. I totally LOVE my current harness; it is soft and uses velcro, and holds very tight very comfortably. The belt is extremely wide, and I really don't want to give it up unless the new harness rocks.

Does anyone have an opinion on the qloader harness?

GoatBoy
04-30-2009, 10:32 PM
It's funny how the lies evolve over time.

This is how "difficult" it is to load a pod with paint.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcvIMxSF9rE

This works just as well:

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_gAgyL4R33AI/SHcVxZ9KPYI/AAAAAAAAB7Q/H1LLn0FcxcY/s400/IMGP1649.JPG

This is how "difficult" it is to change pods in-game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkFE5DpScpw

I wear the pods in my Redz pack just fine.

If you're not mechanically inclined, the Q is not for you. The majority of people who have problems with Q's share one common trait: lack of mechanical aptitude.

om3n
04-30-2009, 11:17 PM
It's funny how the lies evolve over time.

This is how "difficult" it is to load a pod with paint.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcvIMxSF9rE

This works just as well:

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_gAgyL4R33AI/SHcVxZ9KPYI/AAAAAAAAB7Q/H1LLn0FcxcY/s400/IMGP1649.JPG

This is how "difficult" it is to change pods in-game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkFE5DpScpw

Do you have to use a force-feed hopper? The one in the video- is that just an agitated-gravity fed hopper?

WARHEAD
05-01-2009, 10:27 AM
Do you have to use a force-feed hopper? The one in the video- is that just an agitated-gravity fed hopper?

It looks like a revvy, so yeah. You can use a gravity hopper, or load the balls by hand... it doesn't matter.

om3n
05-01-2009, 11:03 AM
It looks like a revvy, so yeah. You can use a gravity hopper, or load the balls by hand... it doesn't matter.

Are the pods about the same size as a normal 120 round pod? I just really hope they will fit in my current pack...

and man I am so excited I am totally getting a q :) I've watched a few video on youtube and man do they look like they perform great. I'm also glad that those videos were posted about reloading the pods and switching them in a firefight- In the video of the guy switching pods he can do it way faster than I can reload a hopper. I'm going to order as soon as my money comes back from amazon...

pk5
05-01-2009, 03:10 PM
The pods are a bit bigger, kinda like the Dye lock lid pods.

Not all the pack will fit, i.e. the Hybrid Agg pack will not fit anything but regular pods (not even the dye).

As for loading the pod, an aggigated loader will work just as well as a force feed, all you actually need is a constant feed since you are not actually cranking the pod that fast anyway.

As a note to everyone else: Can't you guy not turn this into another Qloader Vs. Halo Vs. Rotor Vs. Warp Vs. i am gonna load the ball with my freaken hand thread? Sheesh........if you have had bad experience with the Q, then explain why it was bad and or whether the Gen 3 pods have the same problem. But if you don't, then just please don't copy and paste the same argument over and over and over.

All of us have different preferences when it come to loader some like one type more than other, please leave it just as that, unless it is a technical issues that you run into and cannot fix, please no more bashing one type or another.

MKing
05-01-2009, 04:48 PM
As far as hoppers I just use a clear gravity feed hopper with a little electical tape around the neck so that it fits directly in loader. No hose or awkward holding. It works great. If you go the gravity feeder route make sure you get a clear one so you can see if the balls are loading.

om3n
05-01-2009, 05:06 PM
I bought 4 pods and the Tiberius mod kit, which is by far the most versatile kit available when it comes to 'mags. The feed elbow adapter even screws directly into your angel threaded 'mag body. Here's my setup, mounted directly to the rail wings.

In the picture below, what are you using for the elbow portion? Do I need to buy that separate, or is that standard with the kit?

And also thanks for all the replies guys. I have been getting some really helpful information. I think my current pack will be fine, so I'm not going to spend more on the additional pack.

pk5
05-01-2009, 05:24 PM
That's a separate attachment.

It's one of those standard adapter that they sell.

Watcher
05-01-2009, 08:33 PM
Worse comes to worst, Flurry Industries sells a pod pack with an entirely velcrow back for $20.

Just add some velcrow to the Qpods, pick up the Flurry pack, and git-up-n-go!

om3n
05-01-2009, 11:51 PM
Ok, so would I need something like this? I really would like to use the elbow setup the guy in the picture above uses.

http://www.tunamart.com/index.php?c=20&p=465

http://www.tunamart.com/images/product/RPGVertWarpAdapter1.jpg

EDIT

so this is what I'm thinking... Do I need the feedneck thing above at all?

This is what I was thinking about picking up from q-loader with 5 q-pods and the reloading system. Btw it will be about $190 to buy the package I'm looking at.

http://www.qloader.com/sp8kit.html

http://www.qloader.com/products/sp8mod.jpg

and just for reference I want to mount the qloader under my grip... but have the elbow the guy above is using. I want the mount the qloader probably like this guy:

http://img503.imageshack.us/img503/6104/markerqbow18intipzk6.jpg (http://img503.imageshack.us/my.php?image=markerqbow18intipzk6.jpg)

AND ONE MORE THING :)

if someone has a q-pod and can post a picture of it compared to a 120 round normal pod, that would be awesome :p

pk5
05-02-2009, 01:13 AM
Question:

Are you using vertical feed body or a warp feed body? If you have a warp feed body, i don't see why you would need the attachment (the 90 degrees elbow thing), the one that come with the Q loader is more than sufficient for what you need.

If it is vertical feed, i think you can still stick the stock 90 degrees elbow into the feedneck and just tighten it, those attachment seem unnecessary.

Another option to consider? http://www.proteamdirect.com/warfeedad.html

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/4999/imgp0240.jpg (http://img204.imageshack.us/my.php?image=imgp0240.jpg)

om3n
05-02-2009, 01:57 AM
Question:

Are you using vertical feed body or a warp feed body? If you have a warp feed body, i don't see why you would need the attachment (the 90 degrees elbow thing), the one that come with the Q loader is more than sufficient for what you need.

If it is vertical feed, i think you can still stick the stock 90 degrees elbow into the feedneck and just tighten it, those attachment seem unnecessary.

It's a vertical feed body, and thanks for the pictures of the pods! I'm sure the q-pods will fit my pack. So what would you suggest I get for a vertical feed body, if I want low profile like the below pictured gun? Will just the stock kit plus a CMS kit be enough? Does the stock kit come with a 90 degree fitting like that?...

And also thanks for the suggestion about the warp adapter. I don't think I'm going to be looking at those right now, but maybe in the future I might, unless buying one of those will save me money somehow :) That would just go where the feed neck is right now correct?

pk5
05-02-2009, 02:28 AM
stock come with this elbow
http://qloader.com/products/acc_standrdelbw.jpg

which should be more than enough.

what kind of marker or mag are you using?

that would help determine what you can and cannot get.

as for vertical feed vs. warp body, the warp body give you a much lower profile and straight line of sight, however it will only work if you have a q loader or a warp feed set.

this is a warp body
http://store.airgundesignsusa.com/images/product/large/lg_356.jpg

a vert feed body is a bit taller and doesn't give you a clear line of sight, however it will work with a regular loader if your qloader fail.

Skoad
05-02-2009, 02:56 AM
I bought a ton of Qloader stuff back in the day, still have it but got no marker! ;)

Anyway, when they were working it was great. When they weren't working it was a pain. All of mine were Gen1 Gen2's. Used to be they had a lifetime warrenty, not sure if they changed that...but i've emailed the company before and they promptly shipped me out replacement pod caps, mounting brackets, etc...without me sending in my busted ones. Was nice.

I kinda gave up on them after I couldn't get a few of them to properly keep the winding in the spring....was around when I stopped playing so didn't have the patience to try and fix. Used to run it on a Dallara bodied with the warp threaded feedneck.

oh also this :D

http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/8486/bf2.jpg

om3n
05-02-2009, 10:15 AM
http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii191/om3n07/n1035217252_419931_8079553.jpg

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii191/om3n07/n1035217252_419935_5919209.jpg

I put these pictures on the first page- And I'm totally aware of the warp bodies, but I'm not willing to spend an additional 200+ dollars right now just on a body (I would want a tac body) just yet. So I should just the the q and the cms kits?

Gun is a tac 1 with of course an x-valve, lvl 10, and ULT.

that is the T2W stock from spec ops, and I plan on mounting the q below that but on the handle

pk5
05-02-2009, 04:10 PM
Seem like a long way to mount the q pods, but to each his own taste.

I like the hose to be compact so it doesn't get tangle in the bushes and give it a free flow path for the paints.

GoatBoy
05-02-2009, 04:38 PM
For reloading, yes, I use a gravity fed hopper. The reason I use a full length tube between the hopper and the reloading socket is so that there is a large buffer of balls that can help force balls into the reload socket. I can actually reload much faster than the video shows... if I remember to turn the hopper on. I tried directly hooking the revvy up to the socket but found that was kind of annoying.

The plastic elbow that comes with the kit kind of sucks in my opinion; they're big and they crack over time. The metal adapters from qloader are a vast improvement, but unfortunately they are ridiculously expensive. I picked mine up used.

I wanted to mount mine on the rail like malJohann, but I really wanted the top of my gun clear of hoses, etc, which can't be done with that... So I went for the lower side mount:

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_gAgyL4R33AI/SJagzGaLLuI/AAAAAAAACAI/7SvraaCdhUA/s400/IMGP1697.JPG

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_gAgyL4R33AI/SJag0dLIv9I/AAAAAAAACAk/gzyf3_mfhqk/s400/IMGP1699.JPG

I also use a warp plate when I run a larger tank.

om3n
05-02-2009, 10:00 PM
Ok I am buying tonight :) I do want to use the metal elbow: I need to know right now, if I get sp8 kit listed below with the 500 round qloader package, will I also need to buy the warp adapter from tunamart listed below that in order to use that black 90* fitting? I need to know asap guys- I want this kit before thursday if possible so I would like to order tonight!!

http://www.qloader.com/sp8kit.html

http://www.qloader.com/products/sp8mod.jpg

http://www.tunamart.com/index.php?c=20&p=465

http://www.tunamart.com/images/product/RPGVertWarpAdapter1.jpg

EDIT

EDIT

Also, I really like your setup goatboy. And thanks again for all the advice guys, I do read all of your posts and take everything you guys say to mind. That's one reason why I don't think I will like the plastic elbow actually... I think it's too large and like goatboy said it probably won't be as sturdy as the 90* fitting.

om3n
05-02-2009, 11:24 PM
Please guys!!!

I'm going to buy the qloader soon.... I really would like to know if this is what I need

Thanks!

EDIT

Ok well I am going to wait until the morning.... but really guys I need your input on this!! I don't want to spend a couple hundred on this stuff it's not going to work correctly- you guys have helped me out thus far, so if you could just help me finish this it would be great.

For those of you who are using the 90* fitting from q-loader, how are you attaching it to the feed neck? Are you using the warp adapter I posted a link to in the above thread? How are you attaching it?

Again thanks guys!

GoatBoy
05-03-2009, 01:45 AM
From what you've got planned, it should work -- the warp feed neck will go into the clamping elbow, then the elbow will go to the sleeve adapter for the hose, and then the hose to the socket, which is mounted via CMS bottomline-style.

I can't personally vouch for the size of that clamp from qloader though. Most people around here are using the threaded version.

om3n
05-03-2009, 07:46 AM
From what you've got planned, it should work -- the warp feed neck will go into the clamping elbow, then the elbow will go to the sleeve adapter for the hose, and then the hose to the socket, which is mounted via CMS bottomline-style.

I can't personally vouch for the size of that clamp from qloader though. Most people around here are using the threaded version.

Well if I can buy the threaded clamp from qloader that would be my first choice. Which parts are you using exactly?? If you could post a link to my best option that would be great!

and one more thing I meant to ask- if I buy the sp8 + 500 round kit, will it come with everything the normal 500 round kit comes with? Like the reloading equipment, etc?

om3n
05-03-2009, 01:05 PM
Ok guys well I bought that package from q-loader and I bought the warp adapter from Tunaman, who is excellent by the way. I bought it at around 930 this morning and asked him to ship it quickly, and I had a tracking number before 1030 this morning :eek: Will definitely be doing business with him again.

I'm just hoping everything works as planned.... I really want to use this q-loader on Thursday!!!

malJohann
05-04-2009, 02:50 AM
In the picture below, what are you using for the elbow portion? Do I need to buy that separate, or is that standard with the kit?...

Both the part that threads into the Angel theaded body and the 90 degree elbow come with the Tiberius mod kit. The feedneck with lip is what sits on the Tiberius adaptor plate, but it screws right off and into the Automag body.

That's the lowest profile Q-loader setup you're going to get with a vert feed body. Sorry for replying so late, but I was busy the weekend and had no time to get online.

On the following page its the feedneck on the "Tiberius Adapter" and then the "90º Elbow Feed" if you want to buy them seperately: http://www.qloader.com/upgrades.html

ta2maki
05-04-2009, 03:35 AM
.... I really want to use this q-loader on Thursday!!!

Don't get too excited. Like others have stated, the learning curve for the q-loader is very steep. Unlike traditional feed systems and hoppers, you can't just throw it on the gun and go. It will take a while to understand and setup the system perfectly. I have 3 mags with q-loaders that still cause me trouble. I haven't had the time to correctly set them up, too many other projects. :(

om3n
05-04-2009, 08:34 AM
Both the part that threads into the Angel theaded body and the 90 degree elbow come with the Tiberius mod kit. The feedneck with lip is what sits on the Tiberius adaptor plate, but it screws right off and into the Automag body.

That's the lowest profile Q-loader setup you're going to get with a vert feed body. Sorry for replying so late, but I was busy the weekend and had no time to get online.

On the following page its the feedneck on the "Tiberius Adapter" and then the "90º Elbow Feed" if you want to buy them seperately: http://www.qloader.com/upgrades.html

It's alright late is better than never :) thanks for the reply!

Well I already bought everything- do you think that the warp adapter pictured above will work also instead of the Tiberius adapter? Because that's what I bought :rolleyes:

EDIT

Also I realize that this thing is going to take some time to setup properly, and I won't be disappointed if it gives problems at first. I was planning on taking Thursday off work and messing with it all day if necessary. But actually, from the way it sounds I might not even by playing on Thursday anymore anyways.

Thanks again for all the help guys- I'll post back once I get it in the mail and start setting it up!

malJohann
05-04-2009, 08:53 AM
..I wanted to mount mine on the rail like malJohann, but I really wanted the top of my gun clear of hoses, etc, which can't be done with that...

I'm sure you could mod a winged rail so that a warp body would work with it. Doesn't seem to be much to it actually, then just do the same on the other side to make it look balanced and finish it off with a nice flat black anno or powder coat.

..Well I already bought everything- do you think that the warp adapter pictured above will work also instead of the Tiberius adapter? Because that's what I bought :rolleyes:

Sure it will work, but you're going to have a high profile to it. Think higher than a standard feedneck, where mine sits lower than a standard feedneck. Is it too late to change your order (i.e. has the shipment already been sent)?

om3n
05-04-2009, 09:38 AM
I'm sure you could mod a winged rail so that a warp body would work with it. Doesn't seem to be much to it actually, then just do the same on the other side to make it look balanced and finish it off with a nice flat black anno or powder coat.

Sure it will work, but you're going to have a high profile to it. Think higher than a standard feedneck, where mine sits lower than a standard feedneck. Is it too late to change your order (i.e. has the shipment already been sent)?

Well tunaman already shipped the warp adapter, so I don't know if he will take it back.

No the people at q-loader haven't even confirmed my order yet as far as I know- I'll just have to stick with this for now I guess. Later I'll possibly pick up the Tiberius adapter.

EDIT

Maybe I'll just dremel down the Warp adapter after a while if I think it's too high- after all it was only 15.50 with rushed shipping :) The Tiberius adapter is 35 without shipping.

Also, I know of a 10% off coupon for q-loaders if anyone wants it :) pm me if you do

malJohann
05-05-2009, 02:33 AM
..Maybe I'll just dremel down the Warp adapter after a while if I think it's too high- after all it was only 15.50 with rushed shipping :) The Tiberius adapter is 35 without shipping...

Well, there IS a significant cost difference between the SP8 and Tiberius mod kits, so I guess it all depends on what you're willing to spend. With the setup you ordered you'll never get down to the same level ITO feedneck height though, due to the clamping part that goes onto the feedneck, although I guess you could get quite close.

om3n
05-05-2009, 01:54 PM
Well, there IS a significant cost difference between the SP8 and Tiberius mod kits, so I guess it all depends on what you're willing to spend. With the setup you ordered you'll never get down to the same level ITO feedneck height though, due to the clamping part that goes onto the feedneck, although I guess you could get quite close.

Well eventually I might just buy the tiberius adapter... but ultimately I wanted to have a warp body anyways. That's way down the road though, and only if I totally love the q-loader.

by the way...

my order has shipped!!!! :) :clap:

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii191/om3n07/orderisshipped.jpg

I know some of you guys said don't get excited, but I am :p

Flycatchr
05-05-2009, 03:00 PM
Well eventually I might just buy the tiberius adapter... but ultimately I wanted to have a warp body anyways. That's way down the road though, and only if I totally love the q-loader.

by the way...

my order has shipped!!!! :) :clap:

I know some of you guys said don't get excited, but I am :p
woooohoooo
i am excited for you, because as soon as i have some money, i will be getting the q loader for my mag, i am wanting to make somehting similar to famous ganers setup, but above the stock, for protection from bumps when diving and falling. ( more like falling than tripping)

GoatBoy
05-06-2009, 02:30 AM
om3n: you will be fine with the parts you have ordered. If you cut down the warp feed neck, I suspect the clamping feed neck will probably get you pretty close to the height of the threaded feed neck. (Probably within like 0.25" if the photos are accurate...)

Incidentally, when you receive the parts, you may notice how the whole thing is put together.

I believe it would be possible to make a threaded adapter out of the warp feed neck by filing a notch/groove into it so that it mates with the groove in the Q-loader metal elbow. It's hard to describe until you get the part, and then you'll know what I mean. It's a poor design on Q-loader's part, but it happens to be poor in a way that you might be able to finagle a (possibly higher quality) replacement with a regular warp neck.

I'd have done it already if I had a way to mount the feed neck on a lathe... I need some sort of expanding collet chuck...

malJohann: the problem with a simultaneous warp-left feed with a rail-left qloader is the elbow/neck and the pod can't occupy the same place at the same time... so the pod would have to shift out to the left further than I would like. Unless I mount the socket directly into the feed, but then that means the pod's reloading into my face, which I'm not so much into. Unless I turn it forward, and I don't much like that option either.

malJohann
05-06-2009, 02:44 AM
..the problem with a simultaneous warp-left feed with a rail-left qloader is the elbow/neck and the pod can't occupy the same place at the same time... so the pod would have to shift out to the left further than I would like. Unless I mount the socket directly into the feed, but then that means the pod's reloading into my face, which I'm not so much into. Unless I turn it forward, and I don't much like that option either.

Well, there are options around that. If you don't mind a front-heavy setup you can shift the Q-pod forward and have it feed directly into the feedneck or you can mount it under-barrel and feed feed with a piece of hose (and maybe a 90 degree elbow). If you want the weight centered, just mount it to the grip facing forward, either underneath or to the side with a simple custom plate bracket.

Bagheera
05-10-2009, 03:27 PM
I bought a ton of Qloader stuff back in the day, still have it but got no marker! ;)

Anyway, when they were working it was great. When they weren't working it was a pain. All of mine were Gen1 Gen2's. Used to be they had a lifetime warrenty, not sure if they changed that...but i've emailed the company before and they promptly shipped me out replacement pod caps, mounting brackets, etc...without me sending in my busted ones. Was nice.

I kinda gave up on them after I couldn't get a few of them to properly keep the winding in the spring....was around when I stopped playing so didn't have the patience to try and fix. Used to run it on a Dallara bodied with the warp threaded feedneck.

oh also this :D

http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/8486/bf2.jpg

That's a very sweet setup. Did you have to do anything other than cut holes in the appropriate places to get it to feed correctly?

Flycatchr
05-10-2009, 04:12 PM
did he cut a hole in the barrel, or move the detent that holds the barrel in place?

EDIT
on reflection and observating (:) ) this pic, he has actually done a marvelous job of modding his mag. the whole handle has moved back, which means that the sear assembly would need to be moved, as well as bolts to hold the thing together - well done skoad, good job IMHO.

Skoad
05-10-2009, 04:26 PM
-remove/shorten the sear trigger rod
-cut an area out of the gripframe and cut trigger to accomodate the new sear placement
-tap new holes for mounting the gripframe (as it has moved back about an inch)
-bore a hole through bottom of rail/body for feeding
-tap a set screw to keep barrel/body in place
-drilled holes in trigger guard and front of gripframe to put bolts to hold a vertical strip of steel to mount the q-loader
-cut the q-loader feed tube so it would sit closer to the bottom of the rail

was all done with a dremel and a variable power drill w/TI bits

Everything was straight-forward except getting the sear set up. Tom was right, messing with the sear/rod is no joke!

on reflection and observating ( ) this pic, he has actually done a marvelous job of modding his mag. the whole handle has moved back, which means that the sear assembly would need to be moved, as well as bolts to hold the thing together - well done skoad, good job IMHO.

Actually, did not have to move the sear at all. Still sits in the exact same slot/spot in the rail. Just had to cut down the trigger rod to a lil' stud. If I had to move the sear completely, I would have been in a world of hurt - which is why I opted not to move the valve/sear.

om3n
05-10-2009, 07:09 PM
Well my order SHOULD come by Tuesday. UPS rescheduled my shipment :( It was supposed to come Thursday last week... rrg. Well I need it by THIS Thursday because I am playing for sure then!!! I'll probably have some questions for you guys on Tuesday, and I'll definitely be posting some pictures.

om3n
05-12-2009, 03:09 PM
WELL....

to you guys who said don't play with it as soon as you get it... you have wisdom.

Don't worry I didn't play a game with it yet, but man, I have spent a good 2 hours trying to load the pods, attach the system to my gun correctly, make the hose the right length, and make the thing feed like it's supposed to. I have already created 2 paintball shakes with the dang thing.

HOWEVER....

I am not disappointed at all :p Thanks to you guys, I was expecting a difficult time at first. I'm SOOO glad I started this thread, or else I would have thrown my pods against the wall by now from frustration.

My first problem was loading the system. I "configured" the adapter on my gun in the place I thought I would like it best (the position it's in right now), and then I started trying to load the first pod. I used an entire section of hose length between the PIECE OF FRICKING CRAP silo that comes with the system, and the loading socket.

After about 5 minutes of frustration, I decided to try what you guys suggested and do with a agitated hopper instead of the silo. That works excellently. HOWEVER, one section of hose was NOT enough. In fact, I spent about 20 minutes trying to load the first pod because the paint would NOT go into q-pod (lack of force from gravity I soon found out...), and in my stupidity I loaded the q-pod to it's capacity. As soon as I un-twisted it from it's socket, it broke a round in the pod. I almost had an aneurysm from my anger.

Next, I decided to use a longer section of hose length on a fresh q-pod. I then attached 2 sections of hose together at the end of my hopper, and that worked PERFECTLY. Then after I put about 20 round in the q-pod, I attached it to my gun after pre-loading the tube on my gun, and as soon as I attached the q-pod it broke paint. I was upset, but not as much as before.

I then resized the length of my hose on my gun so that there is no space between the last ball pre-loading the hose and the socket (if that makes sense), and then put another about 20 balls into a fresh q-pod, attached it to the gun and..... IT DIDN'T BREAK PAINT!!! :clap:

I went outside, gassed up the gun, and it wasn't loading very well. Long story short, I have sized the hose perfectly, I have figured out how to load the pods perfectly now, and I am so excited to master this thing :) I have spent hours on it now, and now I have to clean "only" two of my q-pods :rolleyes:

As many of you guys said, this is definitely NOT a loading system for a normal player- I will definitely not be suggesting this system to my non-mechanically inclined friends. I am so glad I braced myself for these last two hours, or else I would have been seriously disappointed/frustrated. Thanks again guys, your the best. :cheers:

pics for your enjoyment:

there was no paint in the gun when these pictures were taken

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii191/om3n07/S1050067.jpg

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii191/om3n07/S1050068.jpg

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii191/om3n07/S1050069.jpg

Flycatchr
05-12-2009, 04:29 PM
i would be interested to know how she plays, if you wouldnt mind giving us some feed back once you have had a game. i am thinking of getting myself the qloader as well.

om3n
05-12-2009, 05:38 PM
i would be interested to know how she plays, if you wouldnt mind giving us some feed back once you have had a game. i am thinking of getting myself the qloader as well.

I definitely will. I will be playing this Thursday, so I will post some updates then. Hopefully if I have my helmet cam configured by then I'll have some first person video of me pwning people too :ninja:

GoatBoy
05-12-2009, 11:43 PM
Good job figuring out the hose length's relationship to the ball chopping. That's the primary reason why people complain about not being able to reload a pod without breaking.

If the pods aren't very well feeding, you might want to check for obstructions, like if the gate/valve is seated properly (one of mine wasn't, so I had to do a little sanding to get it to seat properly in the socket). Either that, or it's the prewind spring tension, although I found that they're wound pretty decently from factory.

Same goes for reloading; you really shouldn't need more than 1 length of hose to let gravity force balls into the socket; if you do, you might need to check for obstructions again. Also make sure that they're falling straight down into the socket as you wind.

malJohann
05-13-2009, 01:59 AM
Okay. Glad you're so open-minded about struggling a bit with it. Now, lose the loading hose, put some tape on your hopper's feedneck and attach it directly to the crank. All this gravity necessary to load the pods is a load of bull.

Just a reminder, the reason why your paint breaks so easily could be due to how tough the shell is. If you continue experiencing problems and you know it's not due to a chopped ball from the pod, then change to another paint.

Also, remember to give the pods one wind with the crank before you start loading balls, since this will prevent any of the last balls from staying in the pod.

I agree with you adding one or two more pre-winds, since that's a whole lot of gravity you have to work against with so much of your hose going directly up. I guess you see now what I meant about how tall the feedneck would be.

om3n
05-14-2009, 09:39 PM
Ok guys, I gotta say, the qloader is just totally different. I just played a few 2 on 2 games today in preparation for bigger games later this summer, and since it was 2 on 2, we generally just did a bunch of bunker fighting. I shot a good 3/4 case of paint through the gun and the q-loader system.

Now I gotta say, I need practice reloading with the pods in combat. They are actually a little slower than refilling a hopper for me still, and of course you do have to reload them 2x more often than refilling a hopper. Now I never got shot or rushed while I was reloading, but I still didn't do as well as I normally do because I had to be so conscious of my ammo. Right now my gun is shooting semi auto but quite fast with the ULT, but the other 3 guys I was playing with were using automatic electric guns. I'm definitely gonna get this mag rt'ing ASAP.

How did it perform:
flawlessly. No chops of any sort; in the chamber, barrel, or in the q-loader system. No ball jams, nothing bad at all. I probably put a total of 7 qpods on the gun (including refilling the same ones) and nothing bad happened the whole time.

My impression:
The qloader is impressive. It's definitely not for everyone, and I am going to have to perfect my using it, but I am willing to learn. It's just I have always been the best player amongst my friends (we have always played woodsball) and today I didn't do as well as normal. I don't blame the q-loader, but I am just going to have to get used to it.

However, it's freaking quiet, extremely fast, no batteries, low profile, allows shooting using odd angles, and looks awesome :p It's just something new I gotta get used too.

GoatBoy
05-18-2009, 02:19 AM
Now I gotta say, I need practice reloading with the pods in combat. They are actually a little slower than refilling a hopper for me still, and of course you do have to reload them 2x more often than refilling a hopper. Now I never got shot or rushed while I was reloading, but I still didn't do as well as I normally do because I had to be so conscious of my ammo. Right now my gun is shooting semi auto but quite fast with the ULT, but the other 3 guys I was playing with were using automatic electric guns. I'm definitely gonna get this mag rt'ing ASAP.

I just played today for the first time since November. I routinely play with an on-gun camera, and the footage is up in my Youtube channel. I like to use the footage to get realistic data about what I'm doing.

In game, my reloads take 5-7 seconds. I'm hardly vulnerable during this time since I still have paint in the tube and in the chamber, and I'm free to move the gun however I want while reloading as long as the pod gets engaged, meaning you can reload while tilted sideways or upside down or coming out the top of your bunker. I'm not rushed or nervous while reloading either; in fact I'm normally looking around or screaming at my teammates while I do so.

I'm not sure if RT'ing your gun will actually help. It's useful for bunkering and hitting moving targets, but not so much for snap shooting. In that instance, if you don't hit the guy with the first 2-3 balls, sending another 10 after he's already pulled back isn't really going to do you that much good. You'll probably wind up blowing through more paint, and that's the opposite of what you want to do when running with reduced capacity.

Instead, concentrate on getting the best out of what the Q gives you -- a greatly reduced profile.

On a side note, I've noticed some cracks starting to appear in the plastic of my CMS socket; mine is the first generation, so I've had it for quite a while now. Newer ones may be stronger. Still functional, but probably time for me to get a backup.

om3n
05-18-2009, 07:43 AM
I just played today for the first time since November. I routinely play with an on-gun camera, and the footage is up in my Youtube channel. I like to use the footage to get realistic data about what I'm doing.

In game, my reloads take 5-7 seconds. I'm hardly vulnerable during this time since I still have paint in the tube and in the chamber, and I'm free to move the gun however I want while reloading as long as the pod gets engaged, meaning you can reload while tilted sideways or upside down or coming out the top of your bunker. I'm not rushed or nervous while reloading either; in fact I'm normally looking around or screaming at my teammates while I do so.

I'm not sure if RT'ing your gun will actually help. It's useful for bunkering and hitting moving targets, but not so much for snap shooting. In that instance, if you don't hit the guy with the first 2-3 balls, sending another 10 after he's already pulled back isn't really going to do you that much good. You'll probably wind up blowing through more paint, and that's the opposite of what you want to do when running with reduced capacity.

Instead, concentrate on getting the best out of what the Q gives you -- a greatly reduced profile.

On a side note, I've noticed some cracks starting to appear in the plastic of my CMS socket; mine is the first generation, so I've had it for quite a while now. Newer ones may be stronger. Still functional, but probably time for me to get a backup.

This is true.

Yesterday I reconfigured my qloader to be offset on the side of the gun, and reloading is MUCH faster and easier. I can do it so much faster now in fact that I can do it with my eyes closed. Also, when I first played, because of how long and vertical the ball hose was, paint kept falling out of the socket when I would reload. Now only one round comes out when I reload, and if that. I have been practicing like crazy reloading my gun, and now it's much much more efficient and my profile is much lower too this way. I'll post pictures later.

Also, I reconfigured my ghetto q-pod loader. I now have a hopper sitting directly on top of a reloading socket. Works perfectly- I just have to give the hopper a shake or two while reloading a pod.

Lastly, the reason I didn't do so hot against all my friends I think is because I am used to playing with an automatic gun with a 200 round hopper and 5 x 120 round pods on my back. This gun and loading system are just so totally new to me that I need to get a little more experience with them. But believe me, I am totally willing and purposed to learn how to use this new system and get very good with it. I think I am going to stick with semi automatic for now- I want to learn how to not dump paint like I'm used to and start getting more accurate and more efficient. Mags are some of the most consistent guns I've ever shot, so hopefully that can help me make up for my previous paint-dumping playing style.

MKing
05-21-2009, 12:55 PM
That is a sweet looking setup! Congrats. My setup is embarrassingly ghetto compared to that, but for the record I thought I would share it anyway.

After playing a few games more with mine I decided I didn't like the feel of having the qloader pod extending past my front hand. I noticed that I was always trying not to wack the pod when I popped out from behind a bunker. It was just enough to through me off a little. When I want to pop out quick I only want to have to think about whom I am going to shoot and who is going to shoot me. Not about whether I am going to break my loader by hitting it. I also never really liked that the balance of my gun was off to the left with where I had the loader.

So I took another look at my rt pro and thought again about the threads on the bottom of the for grip. I never understood why the fore grip is treaded (I'm sure there is a reason for it) but I decided to make use of the threads. Here are two pictures. The first is how it actually is, the second is the vision for how it will be after my stock and apex tip are on (the scale of the stock is probably off). First the balance is now down the middle. I am also hoping that having the loader back further, rear facing and under the stock will help keep it protected and help keep my mind off of it.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j205/mking2673/smallgun1.jpg

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j205/mking2673/smallgun2.jpg

om3n
05-21-2009, 01:09 PM
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j205/mking2673/smallgun1.jpg

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j205/mking2673/smallgun2.jpg

I really like your setup- once you get a stock I do think it will look more complete though. But to me the classic look and the q-loader do go quite will together :) Actually I now have my q-loader in a setup alot more similar to yours- I have it sort of angled off the side. I'll post pictures of it later. I also have a pneu-intelliframe in the mail, so I will soon be able to take advantage of the q-loaders speed finally :) My mag is almost complete... it will be complete after I get the pneu-frame (I think... and hope. It's already set me back quite a bit :ninja: )

om3n
05-21-2009, 04:26 PM
Ok here are some current setup pictures...

I actually love the apex on this barrel. It came from a standard apex barrel I used for my tippmann, and after doing a TON of testing, I figured it was actually more accurate to use it on my J&J like this rather than using the J&J without it. I attached it by removing it from the old stock apex barrel, taking 2 rubber bands and cutting them so they are simply a long thin piece of rubber, wrapping them around the J&J, and then taking the 2 receivers from the apex and screwing them on over top of the correctly placed/coiled rubber bands. The apex is not going anywhere setup like this. It actually takes alot of force to pull it off the barrel once the receivers are screwed together.

Sometime next week my black pneu-intelliframe will be here too :) Then it will be complete... the ultimate woodsball gun. Seriously... I can't think of anything it needs. Fairly light, uber fast, extremely consistent, stylish, very quiet, NO BATTERIES, rugged, and long ranged. Not to mention it's an x-valved lvl 10 ult (soon to by pneumatic) automag!!!! :) Seriously this is my dream marker :D

When looking at these pictures, remember I'm a lefty, so everything looks like it's on the wrong side. It's supposed to :p

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii191/om3n07/S1050078.jpg

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii191/om3n07/S1050079.jpg

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii191/om3n07/S1050084.jpg

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii191/om3n07/S1050087.jpg

MKing
05-22-2009, 01:06 AM
Yeah there really isn't any room to go up from there.
I look forward to trying the apex. I had a flatline which I liked other than the weight. I am planning on putting it on my crown point barrel, with the crown removed of course.

GoatBoy
05-22-2009, 02:59 AM
I have been practicing like crazy reloading my gun, and now it's much much more efficient and my profile is much lower too this way. I'll post pictures later.

You should make a video of a reload. I'm always interested in seeing how people manage their reloads. Watch enough videos and you start understanding what's reality and what's myth about paintball gear.

om3n
05-22-2009, 12:19 PM
You should make a video of a reload. I'm always interested in seeing how people manage their reloads. Watch enough videos and you start understanding what's reality and what's myth about paintball gear.

I'll totally do that. Seriously, I am starting to love my q-loader. I have been messing with it more and more, and it really is an awesome loader.

I'll take the video a little later today- again I'm not as efficient as you (if you are the one in the video you posted earlier) but I am alot more efficient than I used to be, and even more efficient than refilling with a normal pod. I think a pod takes more effort because you have to worry about spilling paint- with the q-loader it's just like switching a magazine.

WARHEAD
05-23-2009, 09:31 PM
I'll totally do that. Seriously, I am starting to love my q-loader. I have been messing with it more and more, and it really is an awesome loader.

I'll take the video a little later today- again I'm not as efficient as you (if you are the one in the video you posted earlier) but I am alot more efficient than I used to be, and even more efficient than refilling with a normal pod. I think a pod takes more effort because you have to worry about spilling paint- with the q-loader it's just like switching a magazine.

The q-loader is definitely awesome. I just finished my Tac One setup, here's a short vid showing how the loader is mounted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvVjO6x8-k8

and of course, one of it firing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXH__kQ2Dfc

GoatBoy
05-23-2009, 09:59 PM
Does the ferret approve?

The q-loader is definitely awesome. I just finished my Tac One setup, here's a short vid showing how the loader is mounted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvVjO6x8-k8

and of course, one of it firing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXH__kQ2Dfc

68magOwner
05-23-2009, 10:26 PM
just keep the halo

WARHEAD
05-24-2009, 05:05 PM
Does the ferret approve?

The ferret approves, though she would have rather been able to chew a little more on the bike grip...

GoatBoy
05-25-2009, 06:13 PM
Played paintball yesterday despite unpleasant rainy conditions... couple interesting things.

First, I managed to break a ball in the tube, which is like... probably the second or third time it's ever happened to me. This one was caused by a factory pre-tensioned tube, which is a little tight in my opinion -- I usually go in there and loosen them up, but I didn't get a chance to with this one. That, and I wound up emptying the balls out of my feed because I was still firing with an empty pod. In any event, I had to remove the pod and drain the paint out the back to get the break out, and then re-insert the pod. After the game, I cleaned the rest of the tube out, and honestly, it didn't take that much time with a fuzzy squeegie and some water.

Second, I managed to capture one of my trick shots on camera.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-ZuFId1iA1s&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-ZuFId1iA1s&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

About 20 seconds in, I'm in the middle of a back-and-forth with my friend. Unfortunately he's got me pretty well pinned as I can't go out the left side of my bunker, and he's totally posted on me with an Eggy full of paint. I could not poke out to get a shot, and my teammates weren't helping me.

So I lined up a hole (somewhere between a quarter and half-dollar in size) in the bunker, which was about 3-4 feet away from me, and put one single shot through it. It went through and hit my friend right on his lenses just below his eye.

Making shots like that are a Hell of a lot easier when the top of your gun is clear, and that's why I'm so picky about it.

om3n
05-25-2009, 08:28 PM
Second, I managed to capture one of my trick shots on camera.

:wow: :wow:

That one ball through the bunker was incredible... I seriously cannot believe how awesome that was :hail:

I am playing this Saturday, and this will be my second time playing with the q-loader. Also, I do plan on putting up a video of me reloading, but maybe later this week... I am incredibly sunburned right now and moving alot/quickly does not feel good :(

drg
05-25-2009, 11:56 PM
Making shots like that are a Hell of a lot easier when the top of your gun is clear, and that's why I'm so picky about it.

Why would it be any easier when the top of your gun is clear? Shooting paint through a hole in your bunker isn't terrifically difficult. And if you absoutely need to sight down your gun, you can easily tilt it any which way you want -- you are behind the bunker.

Though on most fields in my area, that shot would be against the rules.