PDA

View Full Version : Low Pressure Mag valve?

punkncat
04-29-2009, 12:41 PM
I remember reading a snippet somewhere about an individual that was working on this, but cannot seem to find it. Anyone?

TwilightG
04-29-2009, 02:00 PM
Didn't Garf from G-Force mention this a while back? He basically said that after the whole pneu-frame fiasco that he wasn't going to bother pursuing it.

But I'm sure someone else may have researched it as well.

tech-chan
04-29-2009, 05:23 PM
I was looking into it, but it seemed like we would immediately run into a few patents. Basically, everything but the word Mag is patented.

Ruler_Mark
04-29-2009, 05:36 PM
the same amount of force would have to be sent down the barrel, this can be achieve by increaseing the flow of the air

y0da900
04-29-2009, 06:08 PM
It would be relatively easy to come up with a drop in replacement valve for a mag that runs properly at a nice low pressure. But at what point does it stop being a mag and start being an alternative valve train that happens to share a body?

cockerpunk
04-29-2009, 06:26 PM
what do you gain from going LP?

Tunaman
04-29-2009, 06:38 PM
what do you gain from going LP?Absolutely nothing. A man way smarter than all of us already proved that.

cockerpunk
04-29-2009, 06:39 PM
Absolutely nothing. A man way smarter than all of us already proved that.

that was my point.

GroovYChickeN 2.o
04-29-2009, 10:58 PM
Wouldn't a valve that runs at a lower pressure give better air efficiency? I'm not that smart in the ways of engineering to understand it all, but I would imagine that a lower operating pressure would give more shots per tank. This may not be a big deal for most of us, most fields give unlimited air with entry. However, there are some cases that it would be beneficial.

Watcher
04-29-2009, 11:29 PM
Wouldn't a valve that runs at a lower pressure give better air efficiency? I'm not that smart in the ways of engineering to understand it all, but I would imagine that a lower operating pressure would give more shots per tank. This may not be a big deal for most of us, most fields give unlimited air with entry. However, there are some cases that it would be beneficial.

Although it seems that way and people say the low pressure operation allows the gun to "breathe deep" into the tank, it is false.

Reason being, to get a paintball up to the same speed a lower pressure air system needs to use more air per shot to obtain the same force.

If you are familiar with Piranahs and Tippmanns and other blowback semi's, that is what "volumizers" were for. They increased the capacity of the valve so that it would have enough air to fire the paintball at velocity.

Now, being that it uses more air per shot than a high pressure system, being able to shoot the tank down to 200psi as opposed to 700psi doesn't seem to be that big of a leap, and it isn't. In fact, a low pressure gun has the same if not lower shot count effeciency than a high pressure gun, and they may even recharge slower than a high pressure gun.

The only advantage low pressure guns have is quieter operation, and possibly less wear and tear.
However, in the case of Automags that isn't necessarily true :p

You can't even argue that it is easier on paint as the paintball is still recieveing the same accelleration speed and distance and still obtaining the same velocity

Another thing LP guns are claimed to do is be more consistant. It makes sense, less pressure means less friction and less temperature fluctuations. However, try this.
Dig your finger into your bed-sheet, and slide it a good 2 feet as fast as you can. You felt it get hot right?
Now take your finger, rest it on the sheet, but move it the length of the bed as fast as you can.
Seems the same right? Right, because it is.
In my opinion, faster recharging guns are more consistant as they have more time for the air to settle between cycles than LP guns. And faster recharging guns are high pressure...

Now, it takes more than a volumizer to make a gun low pressure. SmartParts had a device called a MagicBox that was meant to be a low pressure device IIRC, but being only a volumizer it may have actually hurt the performance of the high-pressure, fast recharge automag valves. :rofl:

temps
04-29-2009, 11:47 PM
I'm not sure if this is it or not.. but this is what came to my mind. post by the electrician about increasing air flow (http://automags.org/forums/showthread.php?t=197572)