PDA

View Full Version : Getting a Minimag body to fit an RTPro rail

OPBN
05-04-2009, 12:49 PM
Am assuming it would make more sense to mill out the RTP rail to fit the body than to grind the body to fit the rail? Or does it matter?

Konigballer
05-04-2009, 02:33 PM
I would assume the rail. Luke does it for $20 I think.

OPBN
05-04-2009, 02:37 PM
Ah, you're right. I didnt see that as one of his services. -1 for me.

athomas
05-04-2009, 08:05 PM
It doesn't matter. If you have the time, file the pim on the bottom of the body so that it is round and fits the rail. If you have a dremel, a vise and a steady hand, you can grind out the rail or grind the pim a lot faster. Either way will work.

Frizzle Fry
05-04-2009, 08:20 PM
It doesn't matter. If you have the time, file the pim on the bottom of the body so that it is round and fits the rail. If you have a dremel, a vise and a steady hand, you can grind out the rail or grind the pim a lot faster. Either way will work.

Doesn't even have to be round; the few I've done have fit better as a 6 sided shape; just make sure that at least 2 sides (opposite each other) are slightly touching the hole in the rail or it'll float a tiny bit. I even did one on the field with a bastard file once. It takes 10-15 minutes minimum, but it's not by any means a tedious job.

athomas
05-05-2009, 05:12 PM
I just stated round rather than the ellipse shape of the pim on the standard and minimag bodies. But yes, it doesn't have to be perfect. It doesn't even have to touch the side of the hole. Its the screw that holds it in place.