PDA

View Full Version : Trigger pushing against sear?

om3n
05-04-2009, 02:41 PM
So I just bought an RPG splinter trigger, and after I installed it (which was a pain) I gassed up the gun and noticed the sear pushes against the trigger constantly, even between cycles. Shouldn't there be like a fraction of a millimeter of space between the trigger and the sear to prevent damage to the on/off or valve? By the way, I did remove the trigger stops.

RogueFactor
05-04-2009, 02:47 PM
So I just bought an RPG splinter trigger, and after I installed it (which was a pain) I gassed up the gun and noticed the sear pushes against the trigger constantly, even between cycles. Shouldn't there be like a fraction of a millimeter of space between the trigger and the sear to prevent damage to the on/off or valve? By the way, I did remove the trigger stops.

Yep, if your sear is to spec there should be space. Sounds like someone has adjusted your sear rod out of AGD spec.

om3n
05-04-2009, 02:50 PM
Yep, if your sear is to spec there should be space. Sounds like someone has adjusted your sear rod out of AGD spec.

Nope no one ever messed with the sear.

I just removed the old trigger and it was fine up till then. Do I need to re-adjust my sear?

Wanta B Sniper
05-04-2009, 02:54 PM
Well, if your trigger rod is too long then yes you need to re-adjust it.

om3n
05-04-2009, 03:00 PM
Well, if your trigger rod is too long then yes you need to re-adjust it.

It wasn't too long with the old trigger... oh well. How do I go about adjusting it?

xero28
05-04-2009, 03:03 PM
Take the sear assembly out of the frame and turn the trigger rod with a pair of pliers until it gets to where you need it. You may also be able to do it with it still installed if you have a skinny pair of needle nose pliers, you risk scratching the frame though.

om3n
05-04-2009, 03:06 PM
another thing that seems strange is that just the very top edge of the sear rod is hitting the trigger... I don't know if it is or not, but it seems odd to me.

Do you guys want pictures?

om3n
05-04-2009, 03:07 PM
Take the sear assembly out of the frame and turn the trigger rod with a pair of pliers until it gets to where you need it. You may also be able to do it with it still installed if you have a skinny pair of needle nose pliers, you risk scratching the frame though.

ok I'll do that- I didn't know if it was that simple, or if there was some trick I needed to know (like when removing the old trigger). Thanks guys.

om3n
05-04-2009, 03:26 PM
Ok I just readjusted the trigger. There is now a tiny small (a fraction of a millimeter) space when I pull the trigger with the gun gassed and level, but if I were to tip the gun forward so that the sear moves forward as well with the gun degassed, it will touch the trigger. Is that ok or should I give it more space?

Wanta B Sniper
05-04-2009, 03:32 PM
There should be 1/16" between the trigger rod and back of the trigger.

om3n
05-04-2009, 03:34 PM
There should be 1/16" between the trigger rod and back of the trigger.

Oh ok- I'll unscrew it a bit more. Thanks again!

Is there some known ratio of turns of the trigger rod to inches? Like 1/4 turn of the rod = 1/32" for example?

Tunaman
05-04-2009, 03:39 PM
Make sure the top trigger stop set screw is not sticking out and hitting the frame...

om3n
05-04-2009, 03:39 PM
Make sure the top trigger stop set screw is not sticking out and hitting the frame...

it's not. I removed the trigger stops- I mentioned that in the first post ;)

BTW thanks for the trigger! :p It looks and feels great- the feel is so much better than the stock trigger

RogueFactor
05-04-2009, 04:13 PM
You can find the trigger rod spec length here: http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?t=67604