PDA

View Full Version : Help with my setup....

WARHEAD
05-05-2009, 12:39 AM
I've been collecting the parts to make my Tac-One based mag, but something is not right with the rail I managed to come by.

A gentleman on these forums was selling it, it was attractive because it was in more or less good condition, it's warp left milled (the tac body is WL) and it was cheap cheap. Problem now is that despite what the seller told me, it does not fit what I assume are the newer style foregrips (with two mounting screws) and the sear doesn't seem to fit either. Everything else looks ok although I haven't tried fitting the ULE body I have to it yet.

I was told it was an AM/MM rail. Anyone have any ideas and/or solutions to this problem? Thanks.

Frizzle Fry
05-05-2009, 12:49 AM
I've been collecting the parts to make my Tac-One based mag, but something is not right with the rail I managed to come by.

A gentleman on these forums was selling it, it was attractive because it was in more or less good condition, it's warp left milled (the tac body is WL) and it was cheap cheap. Problem now is that despite what the seller told me, it does not fit what I assume are the newer style foregrips (with two mounting screws) and the sear doesn't seem to fit either. Everything else looks ok although I haven't tried fitting the ULE body I have to it yet.

I was told it was an AM/MM rail. Anyone have any ideas and/or solutions to this problem? Thanks.

Newer bodies should work fine on AM/MM rails, it's AM/MM bodies on RTP-or newer rails that require modifications.

As far as the sear goes, there's not a sear pin like on a newer rail but rather a drop-in axle that's short and fat that goes through the sear, so that when you hold the rail upright the sear hangs down below and a frame can be mounted around it.

Foregrip-wise, you've got an older rail so it takes 1-hole foregrips and ASAs. Benchmark/PTP makes plenty of items for the old style single-hole rails, and frankly they're very plentiful used. If you're looking for something with a more modern look than that, try TheMagSmith for some RPG parts that are compatible with new and old rails (http://themagsmith.com/store/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=60).

Hope that helps.

WARHEAD
05-05-2009, 12:52 AM
Newer bodies should work fine on AM/MM rails, it's AM/MM bodies on RTP-or newer rails that require modifications.

As far as the sear goes, there's not a sear pin like on a newer rail but rather a drop-in axle that's short and fat that goes through the sear, so that when you hold the rail upright the sear hangs down below and a frame can be mounted around it.

Foregrip-wise, you've got an older rail so it takes 1-hole foregrips and ASAs. Benchmark/PTP makes plenty of items for the old style single-hole rails, and frankly they're very plentiful used. If you're looking for something with a more modern look than that, try TheMagSmith for some RPG parts that are compatible with new and old rails (http://themagsmith.com/store/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=60).

Hope that helps.

Sounds like I may as well just sell this thing and pick up a ULE rail of somekind.

Frizzle Fry
05-05-2009, 01:05 AM
Sounds like I may as well just sell this thing and pick up a ULE rail of somekind.

To be honest, I think Tac1 bodies look better on AM/MM rails... They're much less obtrusive and compliment the tactical feel of the marker (not curvy or extensively milled) and overall they're pretty small compared to Emag or RTpro rails... They also, once again, use the old-style foregrip mount for which there are far more aftermarket options.

It's all a matter of what you're planning to do; if you're using eMag lowers you'll need an RTP rail, otherwise you can do just about anything with the rail you've got that you could with any other. Keep in mind that if you're using a Tac1 body, you'll have to remove the "twistlock barrel assembly" (the piece that extends below the rail and has a springloaded pin above).

Again, it's a matter of opinion and style; there are positives and negatives for either rail.

WARHEAD
05-05-2009, 01:11 AM
To be honest, I think Tac1 bodies look better on AM/MM rails... They're much less obtrusive and compliment the tactical feel of the marker (not curvy or extensively milled) and overall they're pretty small compared to Emag or RTpro rails... They also, once again, use the old-style foregrip mount for which there are far more aftermarket options.

It's all a matter of what you're planning to do; if you're using eMag lowers you'll need an RTP rail, otherwise you can do just about anything with the rail you've got that you could with any other. Keep in mind that if you're using a Tac1 body, you'll have to remove the "twistlock barrel assembly" (the piece that extends below the rail and has a springloaded pin above).

Again, it's a matter of opinion and style; there are positives and negatives for either rail.

I honestly don't mind at all in terms of aesthetics. This build is for function over form and I think bothering to mill out/buy more parts specific to this rail will just end up costing as much as a newer style rail anyways. In addition, I would actually prefer the full-length rails because I would like the foregrip mounted more forward, to keep my q-loader setup (which is to the left side) more out of the way.