PDA

View Full Version : Everything is going "E"

DamianTC
05-12-2009, 11:35 PM
Since my life turning for the better in the last few years (work-wise) I had the dough to get back into one of my hobbies I had to abandon in the late 90s/early 2000s, and play more than ever... it was a no brainer.. I was back into paintball. I threw a ton of money into my stock cassic mag and upgraded it to a ULE RT... but then I seen the newer "E"mag.. Well I wasn't gonna be left behind... even though I was 8 years late.. one call to Tuna and I had a brand new Emag, and been playing with it ever since...

...now I felt it was time to also get back into another one of my favorite hobbies from years past... Nitro RC Trucks. I bought a Traxxas Revo in about 2004 and played with it for about a year before it started sitting on my shelf for the last 4. Two weeks ago when the weather started to heat up, I felt the urge to get it going again.. so I took it to the hobby shop to buy some gas, oil, and other things needed... I look on the store shelf, and what do I see.... The new "E"Revo.... mine goes 40mph, this one goes 65.... along with a nice $850 pricetag...... I didnt buy it yet..... yet...... yet........ Why do I always pick the most expensive hobbies?.. I guess they are the most fun.

Watch, soon the Playstation 4 will be coming out and I will feel the urge to play video games again...

MoeMag
05-13-2009, 01:19 AM
Why do I always pick the most expensive hobbies?.. I guess they are the most fun.

Truth.
I have a horse. I feel your pain. I seriously spend more on my horse than I do for rent and food combined.
:cheers:

Will Wood
05-13-2009, 06:40 AM
:cheers: is an expensive hobby too
:ninja:

neppo1345
05-13-2009, 08:18 AM
My Expensive Hobbies:

-Paintball
-R/C Helicopters
-R/C Cars
-R/C Planes
-Real Cars
-Electronics/Computers/Home Audio
-High Power Model Rocketry
-Shooting
-Photography
-Travel
-Cycling

My Inexpensige Hobbies:

-Fishing

I feel your pain.

behemoth
05-13-2009, 08:40 AM
My Expensive Hobbies:

-Paintball
-R/C Helicopters
-R/C Cars
-R/C Planes
-Real Cars
-Electronics/Computers/Home Audio
-Shooting
-Photography
-Travel
-Cycling
-alcoholism

My Inexpensige Hobbies:

-Fishing

I feel your pain.

Fixed.

MoeMag
05-13-2009, 04:50 PM
My Expensive Hobbies:

Orly.

I would be curious to hear about this. Thinking about getting into it.

Tunaman
05-13-2009, 04:56 PM
Orly.

I would be curious to hear about this. Thinking about getting into it.You wouldn't believe who is a master at rocketry...The owner of AGD USA...Dave Zupan. ;)

MoeMag
05-13-2009, 06:22 PM
You wouldn't believe who is a master at rocketry...The owner of AGD USA...Dave Zupan. ;)

Really?
A few of my classmates and I are in the process of writting a proposal to design and build a large rocket for our senior design project.

We dont want to use an "off the shelf" motor either.

Sumthinwicked
05-13-2009, 06:32 PM
Truth.
I have a horse. I feel your pain. I seriously spend more on my horse than I do for rent and food combined.
:cheers:
but u can sleep with ur horse if your from down south muahahahaha

Will Wood
05-13-2009, 07:54 PM
If you guys want a cheap hobby ... Start Scuba!
Spent around $2,000 (Course+used gear) to start... and all you need to spend is gas money to some water.

I've been on two dives this week.
I've only spent $4.00 on some antifog gel for my mask.

Hilltop Customs
05-13-2009, 09:13 PM
RC flying isnt really an expensive hobby compared to paintball. Well maybe if your learning and dont have someone to teach you or something. Once you know how to fly, you can go years with your only expense being gas, baring the unfortunate event of a crash.

Those Lipo RC cars are crazy, but I'd never spend that much on something where the only real enjoyment comes from bashing the crap out of it. I broke out my old LOSI RC(JRx2's and LXT's) cars recently to cycle my batteries. Almost 20 year old RC cars flying off a 20 foot drop off. Good thing I have a ton of spare parts :D

neppo1345
05-14-2009, 09:20 AM
Really?
A few of my classmates and I are in the process of writting a proposal to design and build a large rocket for our senior design project.

We dont want to use an "off the shelf" motor either.

It's a fun hobby, lots of good people; all more than willing to help.

I'm currently working on a rocket for my Level 1 certification. Should hopefully launch in late June when I move back to Ohio from Atlanta.

As far as "off the shelf" motors, there's really no reason to not use them. They'll be more reliable, and put out more power than what the average modeler could make. Plus, with the options available today, you've got everything from classic estes style motors, to liquid fueled hybrid versions available for a relatively low price. I would consider going as far as machining my own reusable cases and nozzles, but I would leave the actual propellent production to the people with the experience/explosives permits.

Our senior aerospace students worked on this (http://www.space-rockets.com/launch.html) for their senior project back in 2004. We're thinking about doing something similar for ours next year.

MeŠiCX
05-14-2009, 11:56 AM
I'd love to get into RC planes, helos, and cars. Flying RC planes hard?

neppo1345
05-14-2009, 12:29 PM
I'd love to get into RC planes, helos, and cars. Flying RC planes hard?

It's as hard as you make it.

With a basic 3 or 4 channel trainer, anyone with basic knowledge of aircraft controls (pulling back points the nose up, etc) can get up in the air, do a few laps, and come in for a reasonable landing.

With the introduction of computer simulators (such as real flight), anyone can practice up at home and come to the flying field for the first time ready to do some basic acrobatics.

If you're planning on getting into the hobby, pick up a basic RTF trainer kit such as the hobbico nextstar .46. It will give you everything you need to get up in the air and will allow you to see if you like the hobby before you take several months building a trainer from a kit.

Also, even if you do pick up simulator software; I highly suggest you get in touch with a local club and find someone to give you some basic lessons (and maiden your model) rather than you auger in your new kit the first time up.

MoeMag
05-14-2009, 02:38 PM
It's a fun hobby, lots of good people; all more than willing to help.

I'm currently working on a rocket for my Level 1 certification. Should hopefully launch in late June when I move back to Ohio from Atlanta.

As far as "off the shelf" motors, there's really no reason to not use them. They'll be more reliable, and put out more power than what the average modeler could make. Plus, with the options available today, you've got everything from classic estes style motors, to liquid fueled hybrid versions available for a relatively low price. I would consider going as far as machining my own reusable cases and nozzles, but I would leave the actual propellent production to the people with the experience/explosives permits.

Our senior aerospace students worked on this (http://www.space-rockets.com/launch.html) for their senior project back in 2004. We're thinking about doing something similar for ours next year.

VERY COOL.

Yeah... im going into my senior year next year in Aerospace enginnering. The current class just finished up a RC plane, that wasnt Aerospace as much as it was computer programing, because it was an autonomous plane.

The reason for making our own motor is because I would like to apply what I have learned about C-D nozzle design and go for some high mach numbers. If I really had my way I would like to put a guidance system on it (much like the current class did) and try to hit a target zone at a fair distance. :cool:

bornl33t
05-15-2009, 01:31 AM
I seriously live in a cool place. There's a model airstrip only 1 mile down the road North from here. And a shootgun range about 4 miles NE. And a high power range about 6 miles W.

Anyone go geocaching?