PDA

View Full Version : Pneuing a Chimera Frame

OPBN
05-14-2009, 08:38 PM
I am wanting to do a sleeper pneu using a tickler LPR in a Chimera frame. Looking at how to approach it, I was thinking of taking a 1/8NPT coupler and milling it down to fit into the hole in the bottom of the frame. Once I have a decent fit, I was thinking of either jbwelding it into place and screwing the LPR into it. I could then use a CP reg with a hole drilled into the top as I have seen others do. Does anyone see any potential issues with this setup?

My other thought was to take semi fill in the hole with lab metal and actually retap it to be 1/8". Seems like more work.....

rawbutter
05-15-2009, 07:41 AM
It's better to leave the coupling alone and drill/tap a bigger hole in the bottom of the frame.

BREAD_DA_PAINTER has already done this, and so has pneumagger (multiple times)... and probably cyberave too. I would PM one of them. Bread used to have a long thread with lots of pictures showing you exactly each step of the process, but the pictures are all gone now.

OPBN
05-15-2009, 07:51 AM
So basically, my idea is sound, just a matter of milling the frame or milling the fitting? It looks like pretty tight between the two mounting holes, that is why I opted for the milling the fitting.

chafnerjr
05-15-2009, 08:00 AM
cyberave68 has a whole do it yourself thread with pictures and the like somewhere here or on bigevilonline I just don't have the link in front of me to send. Someone here will have the link! :cheers:

OPBN
05-15-2009, 08:27 AM
I have the link for the basic Pneu set up, but it doesn't go into detail on the sleeper setup for a chimera. I found some pics, but for different frames. Nothing specific to the Chimera. Or if I did, the pics aren't working.

rawbutter
05-15-2009, 10:28 AM
I've seen plenty of sleeper vert frames... not sure if they were done with the chimera or the logic vert frame.

One issue I do see with your idea is securing the coupler to the frame. You will be rerouting over 800 psi through that thing, and I'm not sure I would trust JB weld to hold that kind of pressure. Heck... I'm not sure I would trust a real weld to hold that kind of pressure. I'd much rather have plenty of threads to hold it tight.

Edit: here's a post I found with a sleeper chimera
http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?t=239210&highlight=pneumag+chimera

OPBN
05-15-2009, 12:06 PM
The inside bottom of that frame is different, or has been milled flat. Here is a pic of what I have:

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn308/oldpbnoob/DSC06821.jpg

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn308/oldpbnoob/DSC06829-1.jpg

Can't get the camera to focus that close.

According to the JB weld info it has a 3960psi tensile strength. If I didn't use the coupler, I don't know what else to do besides trying to fill in the hole with Lab Metal and retap it, but seems like a lot more work. The current hole through the bottom of the grip is larger than the 1/8" fitting on the LPR.

However, enlarging the hole slightly and possibly angling it a bit back would allow the LPR to angle towards the back of the grip and allow more room for the Pneumatics.

Smoothice
05-15-2009, 12:40 PM
angling the hole will make it harder for you to get a good seal between the asa and the fitting. Or maybe I just don't quite get how you are sealing those 2 points.

loguzzzzzz here on AO is the MASTER of the sleeper lpr's. You may want to consider just sending him the frame...

OPBN
05-15-2009, 01:15 PM
Angling the the hole was more of an idea not quite fully thought through. I thought by angle cutting the fitting and opening up the hole a bit more at an angle and using the JB weld to further seal the joint would help. I was planning on flattening the bottom of the frame as well to help seal it against the ASA. Using some o-rings of course as well.

I realize there are several people on here that are capable of setting this up for me. I am trying to do it myself. It really doesnt look that hard. For me, this looks less daunting than actually setting up the Pneumatics.

BigEvil
05-15-2009, 01:18 PM
cyberave68 has a whole do it yourself thread with pictures and the like somewhere here or on bigevilonline I just don't have the link in front of me to send. Someone here will have the link! :cheers:

http://www.bigevilonline.com/showthread.php?t=7

:dance:

OPBN
05-15-2009, 01:30 PM
I have this link, but it does not specifically show how to mount the LPR in the frame, or am I missing something? In the two frames where is shows sleeper apps, I assume the two frames used have smaller holes in the bottom that are able to be threaded?

chafnerjr
05-15-2009, 08:34 PM
I have this link, but it does not specifically show how to mount the LPR in the frame, or am I missing something? In the two frames where is shows sleeper apps, I assume the two frames used have smaller holes in the bottom that are able to be threaded?

Yep you would be correct... Mine is threaded 1/8 thread, not a chimera either. Hrm... sounds like an interesting problem to have :tard: You got me on that one... I'm sure that someone here will have the answer for you :cheers: