PDA

View Full Version : Unexpected tank going off

RedEyes
05-14-2009, 09:02 PM
Was at my local shop and they told me about this video.

"i was filling and old ACI 3k/110 that just got rehydro and this tank had a thread reducer on it to except the new reg standards which aci had made as well the reg adapter had broke off when the tank was at 2800psi
i was air lifted to the hospital and all in all check out with just some brusing "

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRYUx0C-q_4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjiyG72NZgA&feature=channel

be careful, safe, and have fun

Dirge
05-14-2009, 10:30 PM
:wow: Lucky bugger!

Ninjeff
05-15-2009, 12:27 AM
:wow: :wow: :eek:

StygShore
05-15-2009, 08:03 AM
I've often thought of making a steel or bulletproof box to house the taks we are filling and the booster assembly becaseu of just this reason.

When HPA first came out I fought it HARD the idea of 3000psi next to my head scared the crap out of me - then 4500s came out and frightened me more ( now there are some 5K tanks out there )

The newer smaller tanks with newer smaller regs lacking LP blowoffs and mass produced in China have rekindled these fears I have always had.

Styg

Chronobreak
05-15-2009, 09:23 AM
I've often thought of making a steel or bulletproof box to house the taks we are filling and the booster assembly becaseu of just this reason.

When HPA first came out I fought it HARD the idea of 3000psi next to my head scared the crap out of me - then 4500s came out and frightened me more ( now there are some 5K tanks out there )

The newer smaller tanks with newer smaller regs lacking LP blowoffs and mass produced in China have rekindled these fears I have always had.

Styg

not to mention as this test shows there is currently no method in place or entity that checks regulators for structural integreity etc.

we are just left taking the manufacturers word that these regs that are cookie cutting are as safe as humanly possible.

Watcher
05-15-2009, 02:59 PM
Wow, I've always heard of CO2 tanks going like that but not HPA.

Glad he's ok.

What flew into the display? Did he get hit with the reg as the tank shot into the stuff, or did the tank hit him, rebound, spin, and then shoot off into the display, or was the reg sufficient enough to nock all that stuff over?

SkinnyHare
05-15-2009, 03:10 PM
epic failure!

(of the tank)

all kidding aside... im glad to hear that there weren't any serious injuries. we had a very similar close call where i'm at and likewise could have turned out very badly. seeing this vid reminded me of how scary that was. i hope this serves as a reminder that the seriousness of high pressure gasses isn't to be taken lightly.

i don't know who that is in the vid, but i wish them a speedy recovery, even if it is just bruising.

Hilltop Customs
05-15-2009, 03:34 PM
thread reducing reg adapter? any chance we can get a picture of the failed part? sounds like a bushing between tank threads and smaller reg threads. Did the threads shear off?

scary to see happen. The video really shows that the tank becoming a projectile and hitting someone 10+ feet away is just as much of a danger as shrapnel hitting someone standing over the tank.