PDA

View Full Version : barrel kit opinions?

kwood
05-15-2009, 08:19 PM
hey there AO
what are everyone's opinions on the following kits in relation to mags?

WGP Kaner kit (newer style with longer backs)
J&J edge kits
SLY Dual Carbon kits
Dye UL (in kit form)
DW carbon fiber with freak inserts

favorite barrels lengths for mags?
any difference in gas efficiency?
shoot through breaks?
you know all the typical questions
just curious to see what everyone's experiences have been

Ruler_Mark
05-15-2009, 08:36 PM
My DW with SS inserts shoots nice. my guns dont chop so cant say on breaks.

I have used the UL's too and they are a top notch barrel.

The DW is my fav barrel because of weight.

chafnerjr
05-15-2009, 08:41 PM
I'll second the DW... There are other great barrels out there, but the freak is much simpler to deal with. Get that combined with a high quality Fibur barrel and your ready to :shooting: I've given up shooting anything else now that I can order as small a barrel from them as I want. I think 8" on their site? I shoot 14" generally but I want one of the 10" barrels next! :cheers:

P.S. I don't break any in my gun, but I do take a few down the end of my barrel every now and again... (OK at least once per day... what can I say gun hit's don't count during rec play out here. :rolleyes: ) everything swabs out nice because of the coating they use :bounce:

dark blade
05-19-2009, 03:24 PM
i will third the SS inserts. I have literally been shooting at a person who is showing only part of their pack around a tree from 100' or more away and will miss him, re adjust left and shoot again, readjust right and miss again... its so highly accurate that if i move the barrel it shoots to exactly where i move it.

But when i actually aim and shoot at a target, i get ball on ball when shooting 1bps

and i too have never experienced a chop with my freak on my mag :) chuff chuff!!!

but i have with my other markers. And the SS inserts clean like no other. AMAZINGNESS at its best!

EDIT: oh and by the way, i use a standard freak back, and a 10" oldschool teardrop front on it :) and i love every shot i take

kwood
05-19-2009, 03:35 PM
so the DW barrels shoot through breaks nicely

kcombs9
05-19-2009, 03:47 PM
so the DW barrels shoot through breaks nicely

yes the only time I get breaks is cause the paint my field sells is crap. (no chops in breach just half way down the barrel) and in 3-4 shots it works great.

I too have the DW CF barrel with SS inserts and love it.

kwood
05-19-2009, 03:51 PM
any opinions on the other barrels?

TwilightG
05-19-2009, 04:02 PM
any opinions on the other barrels?

I never had any experience with them myself, but the Powerlyte Scepter (and Empire Revolver) kits have an 8" control bore if I'm not mistaken.

A lot of people seem to like them too, although not as popular as freaks.

Others swear by J&J or CP kits which use a set of backs instead of inserts.

It's really all a matter of preference. I personally use a DW Fibur but have never used another kit so I cannot say that it's better or worse than anything else.

Spider-TW
05-19-2009, 05:04 PM
I have a Revolver kit that has never given me any trouble. The porting doesn't shoot out very well on a barrel break (rare), but it has never completely choked and continued breaking. You can shoot it out, but it won't go back to its best ropes until it gets a swab. If a fibur kit can do that, I would think about getting one.

TwilightG
05-19-2009, 05:45 PM
I have a Revolver kit that has never given me any trouble. The porting doesn't shoot out very well on a barrel break (rare), but it has never completely choked and continued breaking. You can shoot it out, but it won't go back to its best ropes until it gets a swab. If a fibur kit can do that, I would think about getting one.

In my own personal experience, I've had at least one bad barrel break where i needed to swab the goop out of my fibur. Out of nowhere my shots were going in every direction (even backwards!) except straight. No amount of shooting was cleaning the barrel. Needless to say, the quality of the paint I was using was a bit poor so it may have had something to do with it.

MANN
05-19-2009, 06:01 PM
I never had any experience with them myself, but the Powerlyte Scepter (and Empire Revolver) kits have an 8" control bore if I'm not mistaken.

nope. the old sceptor kits(200&2004) do have a longer ~7" inserts. The newer ones (empire rovolver type) are only ~3-4"

kwood
05-19-2009, 06:03 PM
the newer style kaner kits have the longer control bore backs as well
what is the advantage to having this

Cockerpunk if you are around, hit me up with a word or two on what effect the length of a control bore plays in consistency (over chrono), precision, and efficiency (of gas)

MANN
05-19-2009, 06:29 PM
what effect the length of a control bore plays in consistency (over chrono), precision, and efficiency (of gas)

somewhere between 4-8". single bore barrels are theoretically a long control bore, and provide no advantage to accuracy. Efficiency is going to be maximized by barrel to bore match. the less room for air to escape the better.

dreadpirate
05-19-2009, 07:40 PM
hey there AO
what are everyone's opinions on the following kits in relation to mags?

WGP Kaner kit (newer style with longer backs)
J&J edge kits
SLY Dual Carbon kits
Dye UL (in kit form)
DW carbon fiber with freak inserts

favorite barrels lengths for mags?
any difference in gas efficiency?
shoot through breaks?
you know all the typical questions
just curious to see what everyone's experiences have been

As has been said, the freak inserts work great. They're simple to use, and shoot pretty good, if you -have- to use a two-piece kit. A one piece Lapco barrel matched to your paint is always better in my opinion. :)

drg
05-19-2009, 08:44 PM
I haven't used it on my mag, but my long-back Kaner kit works great. The long back increases efficiency over shorter backs (including DW barrels). Consistency is more a question of bore vs paint size, underbore significantly for best consistency.

Xceolite
05-20-2009, 12:51 PM
Have used a scepter kit old and new, empire revolver and evil pipe kit with stiffi tip. All have been good to me with no issues. Efficency has been consistant. For the price, they are all good bang for your buck. Some of the old scepter kits have a SS back, so if you are concerned about weight....
Just got a DW, haven't shot it yet.