PDA

View Full Version : Announcement: ZDay!!!

RogueFactor
05-18-2009, 09:09 AM
http://www.zakvetter.com/z-day800.gif

What: A group day of paintball open invite.
When: Saturday, May 30th. (This way you have Sunday to recover.)
Where: Extreme Paintball (http://extremepaintball.net/), Modesto CA. After game dinner at Chevys of course.

General Field Info
Admission + all day 4500psi fills: $21 (if you buy a case of their paint from their local store in Modesto you get $5 off admission making it $16)
Hours of operation: 9am - 5pm (games do start around 10am)
BYOP allowed: If you have a deal on paint that can be bought in bulk speak now and we can make a group purchase.
Chrono Speed: 280fps
Field Type: Speedball/ More specifically hyperball and airball in X-Ball format I believe.

Extreme has always been worth the drive out to play. They have refs who know how to ref, do not put up with dishonest play, and stay right with the group waiting for us to be ready. Their fields are well balanced and fun to play with as few as 3 vs 3 or 10 vs 10 (ok maybe 8 vs 8 on the airball). The ground is flat and free of rocks and rodent holes but it is hard ground and cleats will not necessarily give you grip.

As the date approaches I will try and work out a carpool of some sort if there are those of you who would like to do that to help cut fuel costs. From Monterey where I am it's about a 3 hour trip.

Things You Would Be Wise to Bring
-Water or other cool drinks in an ice chest.
-Sunblock and a hat or shades.
-NON black clothing. There is shade in the staging area but it's all sun on the fields.
-Fold-out tables/chairs. (can't hurt if you have them).
-An laptop, external USB/Firewire HD or USB thumb drive 4Gigs+. This is handy if you want to get a copy of the pictures taken during the day and not wait for me to get them up on my site.
- possible change of cloths. It is tradition that we head to Chevys for a tasty dinner after a day of play like this. No ifs or buts, we go to eat all the chips, tortillas and salsa.

And for some historical info on the game...

GAME HISTORY
Where did this come from / details for people wondering why

There is nothing like the first time you played paintball. I might back that up a little and say that the first few times you played paintball were the biggest rush you ever had in the sport. Every time after that (while I am sure it was great fun) never measure up to that first high. If you have been playing paintball for a few years you probably know this. Sure there are new things you can try and you can still have great fun but the longer you play the more it takes to capture one of those "perfect" days.

First time I played I was using a Stingray playing in a Poison Oak infested hillside with 3 other guys. It was crappy BE paint and the gun jammed on me like 4x during the day and I ran out of CO2 one game and it was amazing, I loved every minute. Now more than 10 years later I look at what a "great day of paintball" means to me and I have a whole list of things that need to be met. I want good quality paint that I don't have to clean out of my gun because it breaks. I want nice weather because I don't want to drop $100+ to deal with snow and sweltering heat. I want to go some place with reffing that won't put up with cheaters or allows their "local" sponsored team to mow down the pickup groups that come out. I think that this is normal for paintball players. It is an expensive sport and the longer you play the more reasons you need to shell out the large amount of money for even a simple recball day. Add to that list the ever present people who wipe, start fights, and are generally unpleasant to be around and people start thinking "I could be spending this money on water-skiing/BMX/motocross/fishing, where I don't have to deal with people like that". I think it is one of the major reasons that people drift away from the sport which is too bad.

Well I became aware of this feeling in me back around 2003-2004 and figured the best thing to do was to find people like me who wanted the same things in a day of play that I wanted and organize days of play with those people. How can you go wrong? All of you know the "best" field in your area; for some there is only 1 field. Regardless, if you plan out a day and:

-choose the times of the year when the weather is good
-choose a field that offers the best value for your money (in my opinion that means, experienced refs, it means 4500 fills it means BYOP, it means 4+ fields some speedball some rec it means parking and shade)
-and lastly, collect a group of people that are going to be fun to play with. Let me expand, collect 10+ people so that you can play nonstop among yourselves without needing anyone else.

A day like that is pretty hard to beat and pretty hard to ruin. If you have chosen the good times to play, the weather is going to be fabulous, the field is going to be top notch (you chose the best one right?), and the players are going to be everything you want. In my case I honest players. Far more important than skilled, or brilliant, or funny, or wealthy, or dyslexic, I want to play with people who call themselves out when the are shot. I want to play with people who play fair, who are not out there to prove something to me or whoever they are playing with, and who don't scream "GET OUT!GET OUT!GET OUT!GET OUT!GET OUT!GET OUT!GET OUT!GET OUT!GET OUT!" all game. Plus since most paintball players have extra equipment; If something should break, I got a backup, and if I didn't there are 10 other people who do...

And that is what I have done since then. I try and organize one of these games every month or so at a field that fits the bill and the weather. I have a fantastic little group of about 15 people, most of whom can show up each event. We play the whole day at our pace among our group and it's all peaches and cream. We even have a few hundred pictures and 30-45 min of video that I cut down and make into some short movie (everyone likes pictures and video). It is the closest thing to an ideal day of paintball for me and because I can rely on it I am more than happy to dump $2-300 into a day like that (not that you have to but I want lots of paint for these days :) ).

I had not given much thought to an official name for these events but they were usually just a forum event. They started as "AO Days" and then "PBL Days" but I started thinking about that and realized that if I want to find people, I would need to make these identifiable events.

Let's face it, the people who would be attracted to games like this are few and far between. Sure NATION wide we can find a few hundred on MCB alone but it's paintball and because you have to drive out to play somewhere that means you are limited to a localized region. Great day or not, it's a lot of money to travel 400+ miles for a 1 day game. Consider this game, between Monterey and Sacramento I have found about 15 people who both want to play this way and actually come out when a game is organized. So that is what this whole post is. It's a little post-it note listed among dozens of other great games you can go play. If this idealized sounding game day sounds too good to be true or you are interest, come on out and see if I am BSing. Worst case, you have a day like any other rec day, best case you have a new group to play wtih. If you have a chronic disease that makes you wipe paint hits and compels you to show off your testosterone by getting in my face because that his how you resolve your conflicts..... ya maybe we just aren't destined to be BFF's and all that other crap that children say.

Eatem Alive
05-18-2009, 04:52 PM
Shoot Zak...go to Chevy's...makes for a great weekend.

Beemer
05-18-2009, 11:40 PM
Sounds like fun, you all should have a great day of balling. :dance:

behemoth
05-19-2009, 10:27 AM
Man, a bit short notice.

I'd have loved to come out.

Oh wait, its the same date as Tunaball?

Why does everyone plan events on the same day... :tard:

punkncat
05-19-2009, 10:54 AM
Man, a bit short notice.

I'd have loved to come out.

Oh wait, its the same date as Tunaball?

Why does everyone plan events on the same day... :tard:

It's 3000 miles away from the other event.......it is a real shame, I was going to make one early and then drive over to the other. :argh:

Loguzzzzzz
05-19-2009, 11:07 AM
Zak is a good guy. I would have gone to this event but I have long had plans to attend Tunaball 3.

I wait for his emails to get notice of his games. I have never had a bad time when Zak is involved. I am sad that he does not like AO enough to post this himself but we have talked and I understand his position.

If you can make this, I highly reccommend it. Played there many times and great pricing, great people, good fields and facilities.

I am disappointed that I have to miss this one but I am sure that TunaBall 3 will make me :D though!

:cheers:

SCpoloRicker
05-19-2009, 12:02 PM
Man, a bit short notice.

PM'd you about a future game.

Rudz
05-19-2009, 03:17 PM
PM'd you about a future game.

You both should bring your sorry butts to vegas in oct...and bring that zak guy, lol

behemoth
05-19-2009, 07:15 PM
I'll most likely be in Vegas.

RogueFactor
05-21-2009, 09:52 AM
Shoot Zak...go to Chevy's...makes for a great weekend.

I couldnt agree more! :D

A-Tach is trying to get me to show up for Z-Day. Sorry y'all cant make this one. As long as everyone is playing paintball somewhere, thats what really matters.

Hope you all have a good time wherever you are playing!

behemoth
05-21-2009, 10:31 AM
I couldnt agree more! :D

A-Tach is trying to get me to show up for Z-Day. Sorry y'all cant make this one. As long as everyone is playing paintball somewhere, thats what really matters.

Hope you all have a good time wherever you are playing!

Do you ever make any events?

RogueFactor
05-21-2009, 11:04 AM

Yes I do. :clap: :dance:

behemoth
05-21-2009, 11:11 AM
Yes I do. :clap: :dance:

Which?

You should probably come out to Tunaball, or Sinners Ball in Vegas.

RogueFactor
05-21-2009, 11:19 AM
Which?

You should probably come out to Tunaball, or Sinners Ball in Vegas.

Mostly west coast events all up and down California, from San Diego all the way up to Oroville. Some group events, some tournies, some scenario games.

Been to Vegas twice actually. Once to play in a tournament, once to watch. I might make it out again, it just depends on the timing of everything.

Zaks events are the ones I hate to miss the most. He always puts on good events with good people.

SCpoloRicker
05-21-2009, 03:39 PM

Yes, he does.

/hai guise why threadjack?

behemoth
05-21-2009, 05:30 PM
Sorry Ricker, i'll step off your man.

ej_y4
05-21-2009, 08:02 PM
That sucks, I have to take my exit exam that day at csun. The old Zman events where a ton fun

RogueFactor
05-23-2009, 03:12 PM
The old Zman events where a ton fun

Yo EJ! Havnet seen you in a very long time. Yeah, Zs events were always lots of fun. Maybe you can make the next one.

T-minus-7 days and counting!

SCpoloRicker
05-24-2009, 05:06 PM
I may end up being able to drop by; no guarantees. Really tough work week, so I'll either want to celebrate, or I'll still be working.

RogueFactor
05-27-2009, 09:03 PM
I heard there will be some getting in on Friday night for some Carne Asada... :dance:

Mighty Mike
05-28-2009, 04:21 PM
That's awesome Rogue! I'm flying back in on Friday too from a nice week in Vegas. I can't wait for this Saturday. If you live in NorCal, ZDay is the place to be!! :headbang:

RogueFactor
05-29-2009, 05:58 PM
That's awesome Rogue! I'm flying back in on Friday too from a nice week in Vegas. I can't wait for this Saturday. If you live in NorCal, ZDay is the place to be!! :headbang:
What were you doing in Vegas MM?

Eatem Alive
05-29-2009, 09:50 PM
We got back from Vegas on Tuesday. Ugh...UFC fight = a bunch of idiotic meatheads in town. Coupled with the fact it was memorial day weekend, it was as busy as I have ever seen it.

Mighty Mike
05-30-2009, 02:01 AM
What were you doing in Vegas MM?

Just a mini vacation and plus could not pass up $65 a night at Mandalay Bay. Saw Jersey Boys for the 3rd time which i highly recommend and "O" at the Bellagio. It was a fun week.

Eatem....i wish i knew you were at Vegas also on Memorial Day. That monday we mainly stayed at our hotel swimming and eating. Too many buffets...too many. :(

Now to get ready for ZDay!! Looking forward to this all week. :clap:

DevilMan
05-31-2009, 01:48 AM
Welll???? How'd it go???

DM

:bounce: :bounce:

RogueFactor
05-31-2009, 02:27 AM
An awesome day. Good time players. Good time. :clap:

Indignant
06-02-2009, 11:17 PM
go NorCal

flyingpootang
06-03-2009, 02:46 AM
Good time guys. This thing gets bigger and bigger every time.

Rogue: Big props to you for showing up :dance:

sandfreestyle
06-03-2009, 09:56 AM
And lets get back to the thread topic and not take this any further than it already has.

Tunaman
06-03-2009, 10:10 AM
I cleaned up this thread. Knock it off boys. Any more nonsense and away you go.

Mongoose
06-03-2009, 10:12 AM
Glad to hear everyone had a great time :cheers:

How many of you will be attending Clareball? i'll be heading out to Cali and would love to meet many of you.

A-Tach-One
06-03-2009, 10:27 AM
I cleaned up this thread. Knock it off boys. Any more nonsense and away you go.
Thanks for cleaning up all of our responses, it's why I don't post here much at all.

Paintballing with you guys in Modesto rocks!!!!!!!! :headbang: Im ready for the next event so let Amanda and I know when it goes down. :cheers:

Smoothice
06-03-2009, 07:38 PM
Thanks for cleaning up all of our responses, it's why I don't post here much at all.

Glad you are posting here now... :cheers:

DevilMan
06-03-2009, 08:03 PM
ahhhhhh.... I hear Z is still whimpering about his ribs... bwahahahhaahaaa....

Old age sucks!!!!

Not sure when our next get together will be up here, and as much as I'd like to make it down that way to sling some paint that's not in the forecast for me at the current time.

Anyway....

DM

Indignant
06-03-2009, 09:41 PM
Glad to hear everyone had a great time :cheers:

How many of you will be attending Clareball? i'll be heading out to Cali and would love to meet many of you.

wtf is clareball

is clare going to be there

i'm going

DevilMan
06-03-2009, 09:58 PM
wtf is clareball

i'm going

Well it can't very well be called ClareBall if Clare isn't there now can it?

Use your noodle man!!!!

Not sure of the dates/place yet though....

DM

Smoothice
06-03-2009, 10:10 PM
wtf is clareball

i'm going

You need to spend less time building cats and more time in the meet and greet section.

Its a Southern California event. If you are interested shoot me a pm and I will add you to my pm list.

Oh Atach- I always pm you details of our get togethers but your pm box is full. Just in case you thought I didn't love you ;)

DevilMan
06-03-2009, 10:12 PM
Just in case you thought I didn't love you ;)

ummmmm... yeah.... I think I've got plans on that day... whatever day that is... yeah that's it.... :D

Meet n Greet??? meh.... I prefer Meet n Shoot!!!!!

DM

Indignant
06-03-2009, 10:15 PM
You need to spend less time building cats and more time in the meet and greet section.

:(

sleep easy, my sweet prince
http://www.homotron.net/images/homotron/cat%20robot.jpg

A-Tach-One
06-04-2009, 09:58 AM
Not sure when our next get together will be up here, and as much as I'd like to make it down that way to sling some paint that's not in the forecast for me at the current time.

Anyway....

DM

Well just drop a line when it may happen and I will check the timing of it all. Honestly it's so worth the 5 hour drive to get up there. :cheers:

sandfreestyle
06-04-2009, 10:00 AM
Well just drop a line when it may happen and I will check the timing of it all. Honestly it's so worth the 5 hour drive to get up there. :cheers:
Couldn't agree more

RogueFactor
06-06-2009, 07:06 PM
Couldn't agree more

Ill second that :cheers:

Loguzzzzzz
06-06-2009, 07:42 PM
Glad to hear that you all had a great time, not that I am a bit surprised. As I had stated in post #6, I have had some of my best times playing paintball with Zak! I am sure the next time he sets up a game I will be there. Now I have to add TunaBall to the list of many Zak games as my best paintball times.

Good Job Zak! :cheers:

DevilMan
06-07-2009, 01:34 AM
We were pondering where to have the next shindig.... Modesto in August would be a furnace and such so we were pondering maybe Sequoia near Aptos, CA or Gladiator down in San Luis Obispo area...

Still trying to figure out what's what and what will work the best.

Woot!!!! I'm ready to do it again....

DM

Chris
06-07-2009, 12:36 PM
If the next event is anywhere near the bay area, I'll be there. I cant believe I missed this :tard:

A-Tach-One
06-08-2009, 08:22 AM
Woot!!!! I'm ready to do it again....

DM
Word. I look forward to the next one!!!

Somewhere along the coastline maybe a great idea.

edit: August is good but I will need to get out before then to play. You maybe hearing from me. ;)

Indignant
06-08-2009, 03:31 PM
video is up (http://www.zakvetter.com/images/linked_images/z-day_may_2009.mov)

Loguzzzzzz
06-08-2009, 04:40 PM
Just saw the video! Very nice, especially the credit run with Conner! Almost got dizzy at the end of it!

Ouch Zak, that did look painiful! :eek: If you were able to get up, put the hopper back on and continue playing, that is a testiment to the Excal's durability (as well as yours).

Looked every bit as fun as you all described.

Smoothice
06-08-2009, 04:55 PM

Great vid!

Zak- What program do you use to make your videos? That face plant was painful. Anything break? Besides your dignity...

Mook-I'm so confused. You said you weren't going to this event. Then after the event you posted this

Welll???? How'd it go???

DM

:bounce: :bounce:
http://www.automags.org/forums/showpost.php?p=2634132&postcount=25

But you were obviously there. Do you have an evil twin? His goatee was looking longer then normal...

A-Tach-One
06-08-2009, 05:48 PM
Hahaha Connor, were you just killin time behind that bunker? Pretty good happydance.

sandfreestyle
06-08-2009, 05:53 PM
Is it just me or did Conner take hyper pills or something that day?

"Run child" made me laugh so hard.

Eatem Alive
06-08-2009, 06:08 PM
His goatee was looking longer then normal...
That it was. You should have seen how many tortilla chip crumbs it collected.

sandfreestyle
06-08-2009, 06:10 PM
That it was. You should have seen how many tortilla chip crumbs it collected.
He was saving them for the trip home.

Indignant
06-09-2009, 03:07 AM
Is it just me or did Conner take hyper pills or something that day?

"Run child" made me laugh so hard.

ya boi can gig

glad i livened up the video for everyone... this one is for Matt Sluzars wherever he may be. don't trip

Z-man
06-10-2009, 10:58 AM
Zak- What program do you use to make your videos? That face plant was painful. Anything break? Besides your dignity...

Logos made in Photoshop, editing done in iMovie and Final Cut Express. 5 min 49 sec movie, 9 hours editing time. Besides my pride I broke 1 rib. Bah.

Smoothice
06-10-2009, 12:48 PM
Logos made in Photoshop, editing done in iMovie and Final Cut Express. 5 min 49 sec movie, 9 hours editing time. Besides my pride I broke 1 rib. Bah.

Nice. Yeah editing time is a killer. The last family movie I made was 1 and 1/2 hours long. It took me well over 45 hours. I did condense 10 hours of home movies into something watchable but it still took forever.

1 Rib?!! Bummer. I hope you found that gopher that tripped you and made him pay!

A-Tach-One
06-10-2009, 05:16 PM

You really do make some nice video's and your own footage in them is always entertaining. :D Thanks for putting them together.

sandfreestyle
06-10-2009, 05:21 PM
You really do make some nice video's and your own footage in them is always entertaining. :D Thanks for putting them together.
He's hardcore like that

A-Tach-One
06-10-2009, 05:27 PM
We were pondering where to have the next shindig....

DM

Know anyone up that way with some land? I could supply a 5 man airball field and air compressor. Just sayin.

sandfreestyle
06-10-2009, 05:48 PM
Know anyone up that way with some land? I could supply a 5 man airball field and air compressor. Just sayin.
I know a couple of people with some land down here, but they don't play paintball at all.

A-Tach-One
06-10-2009, 05:57 PM
I know a couple of people with some land down here, but they don't play paintball at all.
Not sure if that works well for this group. What's their general area?

sandfreestyle
06-10-2009, 05:59 PM
Not sure if that works well for this group. What's their general area?
Acton/Palmdale - In other words, the surface of the sun

A-Tach-One
06-10-2009, 06:00 PM
Acton/Palmdale - In other words, the surface of the sun
LOL, that's what we're trying to do, stay away from the heat heat.

DevilMan
06-10-2009, 06:05 PM

Actually I do know of some.... wooded areas and all... and he's a fellow baller and has invited me out to their field numerous times... let me see what I can dig up...

DM

SCpoloRicker
06-10-2009, 08:12 PM
There is a group of mainly pump/Palmers/MCB types that play on a private field near Sacto. The only screenname I remember offhand is FirePro... but I think a few folks are on AO as well.

Great guys to play with.

DevilMan
06-10-2009, 08:34 PM
There is a group of mainly pump/Palmers/MCB types that play on a private field near Sacto. The only screenname I remember offhand is FirePro... but I think a few folks are on AO as well.

Great guys to play with.

FirePro is also known as ToolBox who is also known to have too many markers.

But that's all the way up in Sacramento!!!!

That's a 4-5 hour trip for us.

The place I'm talking about is between Gilroy and Moss Landing.

DM

Indignant
06-11-2009, 03:24 AM
so you broke a rib? dang