PDA

View Full Version : Second/Backup Gun

Nick28
05-19-2009, 09:58 PM
I have my X-Valved Custom and now I'm looking for a good backup to keep in the bag. For when that level 10 decides to go all screwy on me in the middle of a tournament. I would like to keep it cocker threaded so I didn't have to invest in a entire new barrel system, would rather just add to it.

I know how most feel about SP but two guys on my team have Ions and one has a vibe. Reliable guns that have never gave them any problems on the field. Cocker threaded breach for an Ion runs about $30.

On the other hand a Proto UL SLG run about $300, considerably more then an Ion but seems to have good marks all around.

Any suggestions or advice? Would like to spend in the 200 but I'll go 300 to get the right gun.

going_home
05-19-2009, 10:05 PM
I have my X-Valved Custom and now I'm looking for a good backup to keep in the bag. For when that level 10 decides to go all screwy on me in the middle of a tournament. I would like to keep it cocker threaded so I didn't have to invest in a entire new barrel system, would rather just add to it.

I know how most feel about SP but two guys on my team have Ions and one has a vibe. Reliable guns that have never gave them any problems on the field. Cocker threaded breach for an Ion runs about $30.

On the other hand a Proto UL SLG run about $300, considerably more then an Ion but seems to have good marks all around.

Any suggestions or advice? Would like to spend in the 200 but I'll go 300 to get the right gun.

You should be able to get an Invert Mini for about that price range.
I understand they are super air efficient like a Viking.
They are cocker threaded.

;)

Frizzle Fry
05-19-2009, 10:15 PM

2nd production year SLGs can be found used for under $200 and are really fun; I have one that I use as a loaner (only upgrades were a CCM feedneck, scythe trigger and freak barrel). Just don't buy the gen1 (i.e. the 2007 model) as the eyecover screws strip easily and it's got some eye issues.

MANN
05-19-2009, 10:22 PM
stock vikings are 300ish. that would be my #1, and then a mini.

Stingrayman42
05-19-2009, 10:30 PM
I would look for a DM4/5/6. The 4's and 5' can be had for less than 200 and a 6 for around 300.

Miltonyz
05-19-2009, 10:33 PM
I wouldn't use a DM for my backup gun. They are good guns and I like them but they need a touch to much maintenance for a backup gun. For me a backup gun is a gun you can pull out of the gear bag after 6 months and it fires without any tinkering.

StygShore
05-20-2009, 08:34 AM
Invert Mini or a DP G3 - both in the 250-300 price range both very simple to work on
( 5 internal parts on a Mini, 3 on a G3 )

Mini will get better efficiency and has a better stock board if you are worried about such things. G3 is more of a "standard" setup as far as regulators and maintenance - just SUPER simple to maintain, dip switch optical board, but better trigger geometry than the Mini

Styg

punkncat
05-20-2009, 08:40 AM
If it is going to be a backup to a mag it is going to spend a lot of time in the bottom of that bag.....

Look for used markers. There is a lot of good stuff out there super cheap. PM5's can be had for around $100, nice Ions for that and less, older Timmies....the market is right for buyers now, pretty much your choice if you look around a bit.

Chrishew09
05-20-2009, 12:21 PM
Mini.......... $200 - $250

or

another mag...... classic RT around $200 - $250

hobbesTZ
05-20-2009, 01:07 PM
I'd never use a Mini, Proto anything, or DP anything - but thats just me.

For your price range I would look into an Intimidator or an 05 Ego.

BiNumber3
05-20-2009, 01:41 PM
or perhaps a spare valve with another tuned lvl 10:P

divil
05-20-2009, 02:10 PM
what about a lasoya promaster only $100

kcombs9
05-20-2009, 02:31 PM
or perhaps a spare valve with another tuned lvl 10:P

Agree, Why invest in a different make marker if you can have 2 mags with interchangeable parts.

Or get a lvl 7 bolt to change out

68magOwner
05-23-2009, 03:44 PM
Invert mini. I absolutely love mine.

Wanta B Sniper
05-23-2009, 06:46 PM
Just get a second X-Valve and tune them the same, one stops working swap them and you won't even notice a difference. What can possibly go wrong with a Mag other than something in the valve? Just check you sear every morning and have no worries after that.

Chrishew09
05-24-2009, 08:51 AM
the only thing that ever happened to my mag that put me out of commission was when my LVL10 spring broke. but if ya got an extra they can be swapped in like 3 minutes....

Flycatchr
05-24-2009, 11:08 AM
what about the Toberius tac 8, you could actually carry it ON you when you play, that way your backup is right there. if my maths is right it should be around $300, Or even get TWO Zeus G2's and then you can run with one in each hand. :headbang:

SSP REAPER
05-24-2009, 11:11 AM
Go on ebay and find a good used .68 automag classic and keep that around as your backup. If you ever have to pull it out, oil it and go to town. No maintenance every really needed...just oil
:cheers:

Flycatchr
05-24-2009, 01:12 PM
Go on ebay and find a good used .68 automag classic and keep that around as your backup. If you ever have to pull it out, oil it and go to town. No maintenance every really needed...just oil
:cheers:
BUT thats my MAIN gun :ninja:
A5 would be the backup :dance:

WUNDERWAFFEN
05-24-2009, 09:58 PM
You rock as mag as your primary and have $200 or up to $300 to spend for the right gun as a seconday. The choice is simple, just buy another valve. Your minimum spending range will cover another X Valve or you could spend less for other valves. Set them up similarly and when any problems arises it is the quickest fix ever- just swap the valve.