PDA

View Full Version : Picked up a classic mag, got questions

alittletippy
05-21-2009, 01:41 AM
ok guys sorry if this is a asked to often questions. Anyways I have always used tippmanns except for a couple tac ones i still regret selling. Long story short I traded my current tippmann off for a classic mag. some info on it i guess, it has the classic valve with matching numbers, level 7 bolt, and a intelliframe. here are my questions as i am not familiar at all with this marker and not really with mags in general.

what things should i be watching out for with this marker(leaks, valve, etc.)?
what are my upgrade options? can i run a ule body and level 10 without any modifications?

any wisdom long time mag users may have for me I greatly appreciate it. thanks for your time.

Frizzle Fry
05-21-2009, 01:55 AM
what things should i be watching out for with this marker(leaks, valve, etc.)?

There are really only a few leaks. Out the back of the valve is generally a regulator nut issue, down the barrel is usually an On/Off issue (holding the trigger down) or a powertube O-ring (not holding the trigger down).

what are my upgrade options? can i run a ule body and level 10 without any modifications?

You can install level 10 quite easily on any classic valve (unless it says rental). Tuning it is the hardest part, but with practice you'll get the hang of it. A ULE body can be used as easily as stripping down the marker, and putting it back together with that instead of the SS body... No mods are needed, and mags are very modular so it's simple

xero28
05-21-2009, 09:15 AM
As far as looking for leaks and how to fix them, go here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vehPc7vuK20

It is the original video that used to come with all mags, hosted by the man himself, Tom Kaye. It's 10 or so parts on youtube, about 10 minutes each, but if you pay attention, there will almost never be something wrong with the gun that you can't fix.

The best thiing to do is just drop 3-4 drops of oil (use a paintball oil of some sorts, I use Gold Cup) into the asa before you gas it up and shoot about 20 shots dry without the barrel on. This will lube all of the internal parts of the valve and keep your gun going strong.

Spider-TW
05-21-2009, 09:58 AM
Two sneaky things:

1) Don't loose the rail bushing. It's a little 1/4" sleeve of metal in the rail and frame where the fieldstrip screw goes through. Some are loose and can fall out during disassembly, then you have some odd problems later.

2) The bolt spring wears out. When the bolt spring sits at or below the tip of the bolt, you'll start developing "bolt stick". As long as it works and you have backup, play on. If you play tournaments or don't have a backup, treat it as a maintenance item and replace it when it looks short.

Other than that and the seals / leaks above, the hard part like xero says is putting oil through the marker but remembering to do it without the barrel attached. :argh:

alittletippy
05-21-2009, 10:24 AM
guys thanks for the replies so far. I knew about keeping it oiled as i had two tac ones before and thats what i was told. glad to hear i can swap out bodies without any problems. does anyone know if the tac one foregrip will bolt up to the classic body?

alittletippy
05-21-2009, 10:27 AM
also was going to ask. anyone running a classic body, what kind of hopper do you run? I am looking at small 50 rounders, dont know if there is anyone in particular i should get. im liking the winchester one.

Wanta B Sniper
05-21-2009, 03:13 PM
I have a Brass Eagle Pocket Hopper, I advise wrapping it well in some kind of tape, I hear that it's not uncommon for them to be shot through.

Pretty much any upgrades you can find (except stuff that is for the Classic RT) will go into it. Do what Xero28 said and WATCH THE TOM KAYE VIDEOS! I guarantee that watching those videos will help fix a very large amount of problems.

Enjoy! :cheers:

frans42000
05-21-2009, 06:11 PM
does anyone know if the tac one foregrip will bolt up to the classic body?

I'm pretty sure it would.

I think the grip on the RT ULE's are the same grips as TAC's too.

Frizzle Fry
05-21-2009, 11:25 PM
I'm pretty sure it would.

I think the grip on the RT ULE's are the same grips as TAC's too.

Nope. I believe R/T ULEs have two small holes, classics have 1 large.

...I just resisted making a dirty joke. Thank me?

esperto96
05-24-2009, 08:54 AM
also was going to ask. anyone running a classic body, what kind of hopper do you run? I am looking at small 50 rounders, dont know if there is anyone in particular i should get. im liking the winchester one.

Of the small hoppers, I like the winchesters with pod lids added the most. My Brass Eagle and WGP ammo box style ones would jam and not feed as reliably. The BE ones were more brittle too. My Winchesters seem to feed much better.

The stock lid is crap on it but finding an old broken pod with a good lid was pretty easy. Or you can cut out a 10-rnd tube hole in the stock lid. Or you can tie a string to the lid and the hopper so they don't get lost when refilling. Of the three solutions the pod lid is my favorite.