PDA

View Full Version : E-Mag and Micro RT Questions...

Drachen
05-28-2009, 05:04 PM
To start, I'll post a picture with both mags...
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/gallery/data/1009/0521091039.jpg

That might help....

Basically, what I'm wondering, is what's needed to switch the two bodies? I know I'll have to buy a second rail, to fit the stainless steel e-mag body.

~ Will any rail work with the e-mag body? If not, which ones will work?
~ What's needed to fit the Micromag body on the E-Mag lowers?
~ Anyone know of any shops that could drill and tap the Micro feedneck for some nylon screws? I've tried removing the feedneck, but it seems it's welded in place. And I really don't want to completely remove the neck, since it looks nice with the stock neck anyhow.
~ What grips are on the e-mag? They have a strip of rubber down the center of them. I love how they feel, just don't know if they're the stock grips or not.

I'm just not a big fan of all the weight the E-mag has, and then the Micro is so light when compared to it. Figured I could even out a bit of the weight, if I switched the bodies.

I might have some other questions down the line, and I'll post when I think of any.

Thanks in advance for any help.

BiNumber3
05-28-2009, 05:15 PM
emag body can fit any rail with a round slot for the screw thing... very technical i know:P
but u should be able to use the rail u have

as for weight savings tho, the e-mag lowers are what make the mag heavy, the body/rail n valve arent too much heavier than the micro body n valve

Drachen
05-28-2009, 05:31 PM
Does getting the lowers ULE milled really save that much weight? I mean, I don't mind running around with a heavy marker (I used a VM68 with two tanks for a number of years lol), but having lighter is never a bad thing...

MANN
05-28-2009, 05:49 PM
To start, I'll post a picture with both mags...
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/gallery/data/1009/0521091039.jpg

That might help....

Basically, what I'm wondering, is what's needed to switch the two bodies? I know I'll have to buy a second rail, to fit the stainless steel e-mag body.

~ Anyone know of any shops that could drill and tap the Micro feedneck for some nylon screws? I've tried removing the feedneck, but it seems it's welded in place. And I really don't want to completely remove the neck, since it looks nice with the stock neck anyhow.
~ What grips are on the e-mag? They have a strip of rubber down the center of them. I love how they feel, just don't know if they're the stock grips or not.

I'm just not a big fan of all the weight the E-mag has, and then the Micro is so light when compared to it. Figured I could even out a bit of the weight, if I switched the bodies.

not in order to your questions.

-The grips are luke's from www.lukescustoms.com

-dont waste your time tring to put setscrews in your feedneck. you can have the feedneck removed, and another one pressed in. I know A-Tach-One has done it sucessfully. You will have to catch him on PBlegion.com as he is not here often. His work is very detailed.

-To put your micromag body on emag lowers you need: microemag sear, microemag spacer plate, microemag front spacer. (All are hard to find separate), and last but not least a microemag on/off. basicly you need to grind down your emag on/off pin from .712 to ~ .670-690ish depending on the body. (You will find that micromag bodies are sometimes a PITA, but thats for another thread)

-any rail will work with an emag body.

BiNumber3
05-28-2009, 06:25 PM
Id say best bet to makin yer emag lighter would just be to invest in ule parts for the emag. On that note, if u decide to go ule, i'd be interested in buyin that body off ya:P

maniacmechanic
05-28-2009, 08:52 PM

It has to be E Mag or R/T length , you can drop about 4oz milling the rail
Mann pretty well covered this , the sears are a pain to find
( Mann )
( MANN )
Doing this is a pain & you won't end up saving that much weight

If you want to lighten the E Mag ; get a ULE body about 4oz ( & you get cocker threads :clap: ) not sure how heavy the stainless is
Get someone to mill or buy a ULE'd rail , you can shave about 4oz off them
Go to an X Valve , drops about 4 oz
and Chris is making some new lightweight battery packs ( L-ion ? )
I might have some other questions down the line, and I'll post when I think of any.

Thanks in advance for any help.[/QUOTE]