PDA

View Full Version : Need help on my MagRifle

bojangles1983
05-28-2009, 05:30 PM
Pics:
http://i43.tinypic.com/2afdf9j.jpg
http://i39.tinypic.com/24l3g28.jpg

Ok, I will try to explain this to the best of my abilities...

I have a standard mag valve/rail/sear combo mounted into a rifle stock. It is all well and good except that I want to pull the sear back instead of push it back like a stock mag frame, in my mind this should pretty much be the same concept but when I try it out the following happens.

Oops.. before the steps, the valve works great in a stock mag trigger frame (got that out of the way now)

1. It airs up fine, no leaks, bolt is locked back with the sear
2. I pull the camshackle attached to the sear (basically the same motion as pulling the trigger on a stock mag frame)
3. It fires then just dumps air through the valve.

I can get it to stop dumping air by pulling back on the camshackle, which pushes the on/off up. This is pretty tentative though since as the pressure builds in the valve it gets harder to hold. When I let go it just dumps air again. I try to push on the camshackle to try to get the sear to grab the bolt but this does not seem to work either.

Any ideas?? I figured this would be a pretty easy part, but as D-day approaches I am rushing to get this part troubleshooted. Thanks guys!

Spider-TW
05-28-2009, 05:38 PM
It sounds like your body and valve are loose or mounted off of your rail a little. How did you accommodate your rail bushing? The sear not going forward could be bolt stick from the valve, body, rail not being completely aligned.

bojangles1983
05-28-2009, 05:46 PM
The rail bushing is still in, I added a small washer to take up the bit of slack but it tightens down well. Everything seems pretty solid, just as if it was on a standard mag frame.

Spider-TW
05-28-2009, 06:04 PM
Plenty of clearance in your stock for the sear to come down on both ends and clear the sides?

bojangles1983
05-28-2009, 06:06 PM
Yes, I made sure of that after the first test I felt some resistance. Its about 1/2" wide in there and plenty deep to keep the sear away from any part of the body.

Spider-TW
05-28-2009, 06:19 PM
Is the valve sitting on only the rail? Could the stock be pushing on the valve, body and/or the barrel? Is the barrel free floated?

Is that a twist-lock or ULE body?

Make sure the front frame screw doesn't go too far in to a twist-lock body or isn't a little loose when it bottoms on a ULE. Also, on a twist-lock, check that the twist lock pin has clearance underneath and isn't pushing back up.

If it works on a regular frame, it should be an alignment or clearance problem...

bojangles1983
05-28-2009, 06:48 PM
[QUOTE=Spider-TW]Is the valve sitting on only the rail? No, the body is mounted up just like normal.

Could the stock be pushing on the valve, body and/or the barrel? The whole combo is sitting flush on the stock, its a complete unit that just sits in the body and then tightens down with the standard screws.

Is the barrel free floated? Yes

Is that a twist-lock or ULE body? ULE

Make sure the front frame screw doesn't go too far in to a twist-lock body or isn't a little loose when it bottoms on a ULE... Took the front frame screw out just to see, still doing it.

Working on a short video to show you

maniacmechanic
05-28-2009, 08:15 PM
Bo , it sounds to me like your bolt is sticking WAY forward & air is escaping by your bolt stem , in stock Mags i've seen the front frame screw come up too far & hit the bolt ( think you checked this ) A detent screwed in too far will also cause this

I bet it does get tough holding air psi with that little pin

bojangles1983
05-28-2009, 09:10 PM
Hey, got it figured out, like you guys said, it was all in the fit. The body,rail, valve was in pretty tight, but by changing a couple little things I was able to lock it down a bit better and now she is working great! Thanks for your help, I will add some picks when she is all finished up!

Spider-TW
05-29-2009, 08:26 AM
Some D-day pics would be best, but we will want to see it regardless.

It looks like a good start. :clap: