PDA

View Full Version : Moving to Oregon...need intell

Runamok
06-03-2009, 07:29 AM
Okay I need info from any of you guys that live or have lived in Oregon. I'm moving out of Florida, and need to figure out where would be a good place to raise my son and get a job that's not dependent on TOURISTS!!! Weather, schools, rent costs, job stability, utilities cost, and any other opinions as to the best place to live. Help me out if you can cause I don't want to drive 3000 miles and be S.O.L.
thanks.
Runamok

Babylon 5
06-05-2009, 01:30 PM
I used to live in Portland it's a nice city. But it is overcast as heck there most of the time and the skys are never truly blue. Trust me you are going to feel the difference in the weather in your mods compared to Florida. Homes are expencive compared to here in the midwest but just about everything is though.

Not to be a downer though I lived here in the midwest before going out to portland and ended up moving back after about 5 years.

trevorjk
06-05-2009, 03:11 PM
dont pump your own gas!

maxama10
06-05-2009, 04:32 PM
I've always liked bend, housing might be a bit expensive though.

Lately it has boomed.

stay out of springfield/Eugene

dunno much past that

robnix
06-05-2009, 10:35 PM
Okay I need info from any of you guys that live or have lived in Oregon. I'm moving out of Florida, and need to figure out where would be a good place to raise my son and get a job that's not dependent on TOURISTS!!! Weather, schools, rent costs, job stability, utilities cost, and any other opinions as to the best place to live. Help me out if you can cause I don't want to drive 3000 miles and be S.O.L.
thanks.
Runamok
If you're thinking Oregon, Salem is nice and not as expensive as Portland. It's close enough that you can work in that region. Vancouver is on the other side of the Columbia in Washington and is cheaper as well, plus you can work in Oregon but pay no state income tax. :clap: :clap:

Don't let people scare you regarding the weather. Yes - it rains a lot from November to May, but the summers are gorgeous and not humid like the south. I live Not in Seattle and love it here.

If you want to stay in the SE, look at Huntsville, AL. It's a high tech city that thrives on the work the military, NASA, and a good number of tech companies give it. Housing is very reasonable and they have some of the best schools in the country. < lived and went ot H.S. in Huntsville. I'd move back so my son could go to school there but I can't stand the summer weather.