PDA

View Full Version : My Impression of the First Strike Round

Swamp Thing
06-06-2009, 09:39 PM
Been working all day getting my stuff together for d Day

Finally got a chance to get my first Strike Kit into my Tiberius.

Here it is

http://i331.photobucket.com/albums/l458/SwampThing66/First%20Strike/IMG_2654.jpg

This is a T-8 with first strike Kit installed, It hast he Ops-gear Shroud on it and a EOTEC Holographic Sight.

Once I got everything set up I went out the balcony of my house in my back yard. This is a Picture taken from where I was it doesn’t show everything so there is a fair amount of my back yard not in the foreground here.

http://i331.photobucket.com/albums/l458/SwampThing66/First%20Strike/IMG_2645.jpg

First I shot two Clips (16 rounds) Targeting the bottom of the gate post just below the hinge. All of the rounds broke very close to target but it was hard to make out just how good it was.

http://i331.photobucket.com/albums/l458/SwampThing66/First%20Strike/IMG_2648.jpg

So I decided that I should see if I could not get a better idea and I sighted in one the basketball goal. I was standing upright using the stock and holding on to the fore-grip. I did not brace the marker on any object or stabilize myself in any way. I shot in fairly rapid succession about one shot every 4-5 seconds. Basically as soon as I saw the hit I lined it up again where the circle of my sight surrounded the Square of the goal and fired again. All but one of the 8 shots hit. In the pic I can only account for 5. I went down and looked myself just now and the two shots you do not see in the pic hit down in the junction between the rim and backboard one just below the rim and the other on the lower part of the bracket of the rim

http://i331.photobucket.com/albums/l458/SwampThing66/First%20Strike/IMG_2643.jpg

My estimate on this shot would be about 120-150 feet. If I can dig up my range finder I will measure it. I know from experience that I count never place 7 of 8 on that backboard and 3 of 8 in the inner square.

Overall I am impressed.

Swamp

Sumthinwicked
06-06-2009, 09:51 PM
i so need some of these to try out one int he lb and a 20 mag to back it up LOL

Ninjeff
06-07-2009, 01:46 AM
they do hurt though. I got shot with one at Living Legends. Doesnt hurt bad enough to feel dangerous, but i was at an extended range. Just hurts enough to make me say "damn...now THAT didn't feel normal...."

Groovy also got shot with one, on his stomach, and it did leave a bruise.

Frizzle Fry
06-07-2009, 01:53 AM
I've found that too, but even being shot at 50' is no worse than being hit with a few balls from an electro-flinger in the same basic spot.

punkncat
06-07-2009, 08:01 AM
So, tell me something. Is that playground and basketball goal entirely privately owned by your family..or is that a public playground?

drg
06-07-2009, 10:53 AM
Don't mean to be a jerk, but if you can't hit that backboard consistently at 150', you got other problems.

Swamp Thing
06-07-2009, 12:36 PM
I am very poor at estimateing range what I will say is that goal is way beyond the range where you can hit the square with any consistancy with regular rounds. I am packing for D day but IF I can get the time I am gonna use some regular paint from the same marker and post the results.

Swamp

Swamp Thing
06-07-2009, 12:58 PM
I just loaded up the same gun and shot it at the same target.

First I used the Sight to aim which was very effective with the First strike. Out of 8 Rounds aiming dead center I got two hits on the backboard and none in the inner square.

Second I shot eight rounds zeroing in as I would to walk in to my target. Useing this I got 4 hits on the backboard and two in the square. The first few shots where misses the two that I hit with where from the final four rounds after I had zeroed in on the correction that would be needed to hit my target.

My conclusions

First strike shoot straighter and a sight is usable

You are more likely to hit you target at distance than you would be with a normal round.

Hits on backboard First strike useing sight only 7/8 87.5%

Hits on Backboard correcting for the flight of paintball as you usually do 4/8 50%

Hits on Inner square with First Strike 3/8 37.8%

Hits on Inner square with normal paint 2/8 25%

ALSO I did not try to correct for any non linnear flight of the first strike I simply aimed useing the recticle and shot so the results in that trial are not as good as if I had tried to correct for next ball based on how the previous one flew.

Swamp

Looper
06-07-2009, 09:34 PM
Mind if I ask what you have your FPS set to? I brought out the T9 with FS Kit/rounds this weekend after a day of game play at the local field. I was unable to get it to chrono'd in at a safe speed and still allow me to switch over to regular paint and have it be of any value. At 320 fps I was hitting about a 2'x2' area that was 200+ feet away but at those speeds it was VERY unsafe. I would then switch over to regular paint and was hitting 240 fps out of the chrono. To be honest I'm not sure if my local field is going to allow them due to the speed issue.

Swamp Thing
06-07-2009, 09:54 PM
Not 100% sure what it is. The marker was chronoed at the field with regular paint to 280fps. I do not have a chrono at home so I can not tell you what it was with the first strike.

Swamp

zondo
06-07-2009, 10:14 PM
I think it's between Swamp Thing and chafnerjr for BYOTM... :wow:

drewkroeker
07-10-2009, 11:05 PM
Mind if I ask what you have your FPS set to? I brought out the T9 with FS Kit/rounds this weekend after a day of game play at the local field. I was unable to get it to chrono'd in at a safe speed and still allow me to switch over to regular paint and have it be of any value. At 320 fps I was hitting about a 2'x2' area that was 200+ feet away but at those speeds it was VERY unsafe. I would then switch over to regular paint and was hitting 240 fps out of the chrono. To be honest I'm not sure if my local field is going to allow them due to the speed issue.

I guess this means that we will have to choose between one and the other during a game; or perhaps you could sling a T9 on your back and use it as a "sniper" weapon :rolleyes: (no, I am not going to open the "paintball sniper" can of worms). From what I have read the FS round is more accurate at a distance and could certainly give players an edge who favor precise shots instead of high rof.

One question for those that have used them: do you think the fins on the round will scratch the breach or inside of the barrel at all? I would like to try some FS rounds in my viking but not if they would scratch it.

If I like the FS rounds, I might just have to buy a T9... loading them one at a time into my viking during a game doesn't isn't my idea of a good time. :eek:

vf-xx
07-10-2009, 11:38 PM
If I like the FS rounds, I might just have to buy a T9... loading them one at a time into my viking during a game doesn't isn't my idea of a good time. :eek:

Civil war paintball!!! We all have muzzle loaders.

Hrm, but then someone would have to come out with a 36 in barrel.....

SCpoloRicker
07-11-2009, 03:43 PM
...loading them one at a time into my viking during a game doesn't isn't my idea of a good time. :eek:

Actually, there may be something to that idea. Assuming a significant increase in accuracy, one at a time or stock class could be pretty fun.

drewkroeker
07-11-2009, 03:51 PM
Actually, there may be something to that idea. Assuming a significant increase in accuracy, one at a time or stock class could be pretty fun.

It's more that I don't want to be removing and reinserting the bolt for every shot; that sounds like a good way to get dirt in my internals. I agree that single shot or stockclass could be a lot of fun.

neppo1345
07-12-2009, 09:05 PM
Your EOTech sight is worth more than my markers.

You have a lighted basketball court.

What do you do for a living?

/Please say engineer please say engineer

Also, to stay somewhat on topic. Nice review...I've heard a lot of talk about these but never any decent reviews.

cockymag
08-18-2009, 10:53 PM
Who cares about the gun!? Please take more pictures of your house and property, looks very beautiful :).