PDA

View Full Version : Bolt Killing my NUBINS

Mild 7
01-31-2002, 05:09 PM
I have a stock bolt on my RT for the past 4 years. I've been using the same barrel about just as long, a Lapco Autospirit '12 SS. I have switched the nubin once only in the past 4 years.

Last sunday, my RT fired smoothly all day 'till after lunch time. It was chopping the whole afternoon 'till the day was over. At first, I thought it was a problem with the velocity 'cause I was shooting way too hot. When I went home, I found out that shooting hot was only half of my problem, I had a broken nubin.

Today, I changed the nubin and turned down the velocity. I shot about 30rds of Zap Pro thru my barrel. Then all of sudden, it doubled feeded. I pulled out the barrel, the nubin was gone. So I put in another new nubin, and fired another 50rds., no balls was broken. But I took out the barrel to check just to be safe. For some funny reason, I wasn't too suprised when the second nubin was gone too. Then I put in a 3rd nubin, without a ball in there. After my 1st shot of dry fire, I heard something fly out. I took off my barrel, there it was, another broken nubin. It's obvious to me that my bolt is destroying every nubin I put in there.

I've done my search on AO about broken nubins. I made sure my nubin is not too far in but just enough to hold the ball in place. The O ring for the barrel are fresh. My spring is relatively new. I don't know what else is wrong. Please help.

Thanks

Mild 7
01-31-2002, 05:10 PM
By the way, I am using a stock bolt.

personman
01-31-2002, 05:22 PM
Try switching to plastic nubbins if you havent already.

Mild 7
01-31-2002, 05:25 PM
I thought plastic nubins are for super bolts only?!

Also, this never happend before. What would cause something like this to happen? I mean, 3 nubins broken consecutively in 15 minutes? Perhaps the bolt is out of lined? Spring problem? There's got to be something else..

I tried calling AGD up today but I think they're closed today 'cause of the bad weather.:(

personman
01-31-2002, 05:36 PM
Oh GOD! Not again, this just happened!! Another misunderstanding about the plastic nubbins!
http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=24108
See what I mean cphilip? Happens more than you think!

Paintchucker
01-31-2002, 06:30 PM
I had a similar problem with some of the P style nubbins. In fact, I was using an add-on bolt, and it badly scratched the top of the bolt. I am using the plastic ones now with no problems...

Daniel Morse
01-31-2002, 08:04 PM
at Coram this Saturday. I will be there at around 10:30am. Your brother is a friend of my brother. We have used RT's for about four years and know them inside and out (literally). I would never play without an RT. It's time we get your RT up and running. You must be getting pretty frustrated with it and that's not fun. So let me know if you can make it. Bring any spare parts you have, brand new batteries and the appropriate allen wrenches (don't forget the allen wrench for the power feed plug screws or the sight rail screws). I heard that you already sent it in to AGD which leads me to believe that it may not be mechanical. It may be your short stroking trigger finger. We will find out. Also make sure you have field paint. Your days of breaking paint are over!

Predater
01-31-2002, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by personman
Oh GOD! Not again, this just happened!! Another misunderstanding about the plastic nubbins!
http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=24108
See what I mean cphilip? Happens more than you think!

on automags.org, whare you go to buy the plastic nubins it sez in bold print to only use thim with the super bolt. that is why evryone thinks you should only use them with the super bolt.

headcase
01-31-2002, 10:07 PM
Thats because everyone reads it wrong.

It says "must be used with superbolts"

what it doesn't say is "only to be used with the superbolt".

What it comes down to is this.......you can use the plastic nubbins with any bolt. The superbolt can ONLY be used with plastic nubbins.

Make sense to everyone?

cphilip is completely correct in that other thread. What is written in the plasic nubbin description in the online store, and what people read in the plasic nubbin description are two different things.

[tounge in cheek]I guess some of you need to take high school English again.[/tounge in cheek]

Predater
01-31-2002, 10:18 PM
headcase,
thanks fore clearing that up. they really need to change the wording so morons like me dont missunderstand it.

i flunked highschool englesh, spelling, and grammer.

Mild 7
02-01-2002, 12:08 AM
Headcase, I don't think everyone read it wrong. I just don't think that everyone reads it "critically" as you do.
I also didn't realize it until you mentioned the keyword "only", which would solve a lots of misinterpretion since I know I'm not the only one who misinterpreted. If the plastic nubin can fix my nubin breaking situation, then that's great. I just want the problem to be resolved 'cause I'm planning for a game in a couple of weeks.

PhantomX
02-01-2002, 12:29 AM
It sounds like a worn out Bolt issue! The Bolt is flying outa wack into the barrel area breaking the nubbins (Bolt is worn out and is loose on the power tube). And a worn out sear will make short stroking easier to do I would think. You do say the marker is four years old. So I assume the bolt/spring/sear/nubbin's are as well. If they are four years old I would think they have out lived their usefulness by now.

If the gun has been to AGD and they don't see an issue with these parts then its a gremlin. Mr. Morse and crew seem confident they can weed it out!

Your handled!

:cool:

personman
02-01-2002, 08:23 AM
In his post he said the spring was fairly new, so cross that off your list.
I honestly think that plastic nubbins would help alot, if not fix the problem. Otherwise its probally somthing else.

wheelstander
02-01-2002, 08:43 AM
interesting. i had both "p" style nubbins out of a standard AGD parts pack break within one hopper about a week ago. my marker is stock internally and less than a month old, maybe 6500 rounds through it, with no problems with "v" style nubbins. i'm sure plastic is a better option regardless.

sounds like maybe a bad batch of heat treating? i haven't had a chance to call customer service yet to see if maybe they'll exchange these two for me. :) :D