PDA

View Full Version : need help with inline maxflo on/off

dark blade
06-08-2009, 02:23 PM
i know that there was at least 1 thread that describes the remedy to the chopping of the o-ring... however, the search feature isnt working for me :( I just cannot seem to find it.

Sooo in effect i am making this thread.

If anyone knows how i can stop my inline maxflo from chopping o-rings i would be very greatful. I understand why it chops i just do not know how to fix it.

Spider-TW
06-08-2009, 05:05 PM
The on/off plug is sharp on the edges of the flow passage. As you turn it on, the pressure pushes the oring in the hole (which is about the same inside diameter and cross section) and the trailing edge cuts a bite out.

Use your finger and feel the edges on the oring side of the plug. Then take a stone or little spindle of sandpaper and take a little (0.005 inches) of the edge off, mostly the trailing edge as you would turn the air on. It's aluminum, so be gentle. Polish or use some 1500 grit paper to finish. You want a smooth oring seat, but remember it's high pressure and needs most of that support material. After that, be gentle in turning the air on and off and it should be good for a while.

If you get desperate, you can flip the nibbled orings over since they only seal on one side.

dark blade
06-08-2009, 06:14 PM
update... i just looked inside my on/off and took out the o-ring... here is the surprise real kicker. THE O-RING WAS 100% FINE!!!!

what is the deal? Que pas? Por que? i knew that they would chop the small bit into the o-ring seeing as this is the 3rd o-ring in there but damn. I never knew it would keep constant air even when the o-ring is completely fine. Im confused, any ideas?

Spider-TW
06-08-2009, 10:39 PM
Is the plug free of scratches and dents? How about the cup that holds it?

Is it clean?

Check the outer edges of the o-ring?

Was it the right size of o-ring?

dark blade
06-08-2009, 10:55 PM
correct size o-ring...

i completely tore down the reg and rebuilt it today so hopefully that will help

the plug and the cup that holds it were both a bith greasy from lube and oil so i cleaned those and then i took a polishing bit on a dremel and some brasso and gave it a very light polishing and its very smooth now... not gritty (so hopefully that helps)

and the edges of the o-ring were fine. Completely fine... so hopefully it was soemthing else and i was able to fix it during the tear down.

Spider-TW
06-08-2009, 11:13 PM
Be sure and go light on the oil and avoid flammable oil completely. The SP guys are un-afraid of dow grease though. They used a lot when trying to fix mine. It was just dirty.