PDA

View Full Version : Building a Spyder of all things.

punkncat
06-08-2009, 08:48 PM
The local shop had a deal going on a BNIB 13BPS Hyperframe. On a whim I decided to pick it up, and build an LP Spyder again. I owned a few back in the day that had WAAAAAYYY too much money in them. As cheap and easy as things are to come across now, I am going to be able to rebuild one of my favorite "classics".

I picked up a Bob Long Millenium body, top cocking. Got the hyperframe. Picked up a Spyder Compact with the fatty striker and all the important internals for $10. I have a line on a new in the bag Tornado valve on the cheap as well. Now, if I can just find the Palmer's Stablizer that is lost around this house somewhere, I will be good to go.....

I will get pics up soon, cause I know y'all can't wait to see it..... ;)

SCpoloRicker
06-08-2009, 09:09 PM
I've actually been considering this exact build for 'loaner' markers. I'll be continuing to check in on this thread.

Thordic
06-09-2009, 09:24 AM
Of all the markers I've owned, the only one I've never managed to break is my Spyder. It's held together with JB weld, but it has never stopped working during a day's play.

BigEvil
06-09-2009, 09:43 AM
UTB Board + Eyes for the WIN!

DevilMan
06-09-2009, 01:48 PM
Funny... I was just tinkering with the 2 that I still have... :D Was going to pick up a Spyder 1 as well... but meh... would never get used.

Good luck and if you can't find that PPS Stab I have a nickel one.

DM

punkncat
06-09-2009, 02:28 PM
Funny... I was just tinkering with the 2 that I still have... :D Was going to pick up a Spyder 1 as well... but meh... would never get used.

Good luck and if you can't find that PPS Stab I have a nickel one.

DM

Funny enough, I have a nickle one floating around as well. I had purchased it right before my accident, but it has not been seen since I came home from the hospital two years ago. It is around here somewhere.....

punkncat
06-10-2009, 09:47 AM
I have run into a bit of a snag, if anyone could help out....Details below.

http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/kingman/80861-awright-hyperframe-guys.html

luke
06-10-2009, 10:39 AM
I see you did. ;)

punkncat
06-17-2009, 09:54 PM
Well, I finally have a working marker to build from. I had to ditch the Hyperframe. The sear was too high, and was going to require me to have a spacer made to fit in between the body and frame. Rather than go through all the trouble, I just decided to pass it along to a friend who has been shooting a TL for years....Anywho, It took some doing to get this together. I picked up an old Spyder One, which had most everything I needed. Along with it, and a cocker threaded detent, all I am "operationally" short now is the velocity screw, and a couple of washers so I can put the good metal spring guide in. I have to thank Chaos for the extra bag of parts he sent with. :clap:

After swapping the parts over, I realized instantly that there are some issues with this particular body, maybe all of the Milly's I don't know. Lol, it has been too many fuzzy years ago that I last messed with them. The (stock) valve set screw would not screw into the body properly. I tried several others that I had and they all stopped a bit short. The valve doesn't move, so I decided it would be best to drill a small recess into the frame where the valve set screw is to allow clearance. The stop on the top of the trigger had to be sanded down just a touch as well. It was hitting the body before completing its full travel.

After getting those issues sorted out, I hooked it up to co2 as well as HPA and it shoots fine on both. My next project is going to be to find a madmann (or similar) spring kit and get the marker set up and working properly at high pressure. Right now, I honestly think it is shooting well into the 300's on a preset 850 HPA tank.....that is good though.
The ASA adapter is one of the good ones with the big air holes, I don't have to drill it. I have an obscene sized volly on it. So, when I go pick up the Tornado valve that is stashed away for me, I don't see any problem getting this thing running sub 400PSI right away. Still have to find a reg for it.

Here is a poor pic of its current state.

http://216.77.188.54/coDataImages/p/Groups/259/259802/pages/1103086/DSCN1996[640x480].JPG

Just about the only thing that will change visually is the addition of a reg....and I may have a line on a Milly frame I once owned. We will see. It has the threaded feedneck as well, so that will be changed. More updates and pictures soon.

txaggie08
06-17-2009, 10:30 PM
punkncat- do you wanna get rid of the compacts mech frame? I need one.

punkncat
06-17-2009, 11:26 PM
punkncat- do you wanna get rid of the compacts mech frame? I need one.

Lol, that is what is currently on it, however, if I can procure the milly frame I will keep you in mind.

txaggie08
06-18-2009, 12:55 AM
thank you much. If you happen across another old mech frame period I'd take it. I want to build a spump and don't have a mech frame for one :D