PDA

View Full Version : My cars paint is peeling...

ManInBlack
06-09-2009, 01:37 PM
Just a little bit... :eek:

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o234/CrashInBlack/Haley/DSCF9089.jpg

Just a guess, but I'm assuming I didn't get the clear on quick enough after the base. I'm going to have to wetsand the whole thing and re-clear. I had to post because I've never heard of it coming off in sheets like this before.

behemoth
06-09-2009, 02:00 PM
Just a guess, but I'm assuming I didn't get the clear on quick enough after the base. I'm going to have to wetsand the whole thing and re-clear. I had to post because I've never heard of it coming off in sheets like this before.

Your first problem: You're painting your own car...

cougar20th
06-09-2009, 02:03 PM
couple questions.

The base & clear were the same brand & compatible with each other?
You did mix the clear correctly?
preped correctly?

Humidity can effect stuff. I forget how. But I know it is a problem sometimes.

Ive painted several cars & bikes. Never seen that before.

Big'n slo
06-09-2009, 02:25 PM
OMG uz drivin 2 fazt!

:dance:

ManInBlack
06-09-2009, 02:43 PM
couple questions.

The base & clear were the same brand & compatible with each other?
You did mix the clear correctly?
preped correctly?

Humidity can effect stuff. I forget how. But I know it is a problem sometimes.

Ive painted several cars & bikes. Never seen that before.

Base and Clear came as a kit from same manufacturer. Everything was mixed correctly as best as I can tell. Humidity was below 50% when I painted (last September).

cougar20th
06-09-2009, 03:06 PM
The more I look at that picture the more my best guess & it is only a guess is that the hardener used for the clear either wasnt mixed right or didnt work. Wish I really knew. As I said Ive never seen that happen. But have seen some other interesting stuff.

The paint should really be hard & not as flexable as you show. Looks to be damn near as flexable as a clear decal would be.

Sumthinwicked
06-09-2009, 03:25 PM
did u prep the bottom layer aka wash it with vineger ? when i paint metal bare i clean it of all oils FIRST let it dry water it down let it dry paint sounds stupid but oil makes stuff peel

ManInBlack
06-09-2009, 03:50 PM
The base coat is on a layer of primer, and it seems to be staying where it should be. I might have mixed it wrong, I just don't know right now. The clear looks and feels like thick cellophane. It never was particularly hard either. Scratched very easily.

After I get all this off I'm going to sand everything down with 1000 grit, throw another layer or two of black on (there are some chips in front that have gone through to the primer), sand again with 1000 grit, then 4 or 5 layers of clear (being extra careful to mix correctly).

maniacmechanic
06-09-2009, 07:20 PM
Neat , almost looks like skin

skife
06-14-2009, 06:22 PM
that talon boosted?

there was a kid at the gasstaion the other day cruising around with a eclipse with no hood on it, he had a cold air intake, a cheap header that was spray painted, and his valve cover was painted and he was talking it up it was funny.

ManInBlack
06-14-2009, 08:30 PM
No, just your run of the mill non-turbo talon.

So far... ;)

Ruler_Mark
06-14-2009, 08:34 PM
you should sand it all down and do a walmart spray paint camo job!

billybob_81067
06-16-2009, 12:08 AM
you should sand it all down and do a walmart spray paint camo job!

Seconded! :D

ManInBlack
06-16-2009, 10:08 AM
Umm.... No. :p