PDA

View Full Version : what pressure do c02 tanks output?

om3n
06-14-2009, 02:53 PM
Do any of you guys know with certainty? I am modifying my air cannon (or as some call it, potato gun, even though it has never shot a potato...), and I want an on board automatic filling station on it. I'm going to start using co2 to power it, so I will need to know what pressure co2 tanks output. Also, if it is indeed 800 psi (what I'm afraid of), if you guys know any regulators that can turn 800 psi down to a stable 40- 120ish psi that would be awesome :rolleyes: I'm looking at mcmaster carr right now, and I can't find what I need.... Also do you think using co2 with a standard air regulator is a really bad idea because co2 could freeze the regulator in the open position?

Thanks guys

om3n

trevorjk
06-14-2009, 03:18 PM
CO2 under normal conditions when the canister is full should be coming out right around 800psi. as the tank goes dowwn the pressure will dip a little bit. also, temperatures can fluctuate the output pressure.

as for regulators. as long as the CO2 is changing into a gas before entering the regulator there should be no problems. the only problem with CO2 is the transformation from liquid to gas in the very short time period paintball guns allow them to when rapid firing. that and its a dirty gas compared to properly filtered compressed air

im tired and such, let me know if this makes sense :p

thejere
06-14-2009, 03:24 PM
On an average summer day expect close to 850psi, its temperature dependent.

Don't know much you have to spend, my first recommendation would be Palmers (http://www.palmer-pursuit.com/cart/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=28&zenid=6617c0eb6a63112d13596904ac11d704) Its not going to have trouble with CO2 and can be adjusted as low as you like.

Looper
06-14-2009, 04:06 PM
Depends on the temperature of the day...
http://www.warpig.com/paintball/technical/gasses/co2pv.gif

om3n
06-14-2009, 05:45 PM
What do you guys think about this one?

http://www.mcmaster.com/catalog/115/gfx/small/4158kp1s.gif

4158K72

Lever Controlled

Pipe Size

Max.
Inlet Outlet Range, psi Temp. Pressure Ht. x Lg. Each

1/4" 1/4" 0-150 250° F 150 psi 2" x 3.25" $25.76

I have a no-name regulator designed for high pressure in a paintball gun, and the lowest I can set it too is about 200 psi. Do you think I could attach my co2 tank to that regulator, then go from my paintball gun regulator @ 200 psi to the mcmaster carr regulator, drop it down to whatever I need, and then go from there to my expansion chamber?

EDIT

oh btw I am going to try to make an expansion chamber before the regulator designed to help the co2 to expand into gas... Or I might just use a high pressure air tank instead. I'd much rather try to get this thing working with co2, but I also am afraid of the co2 freezing the regulator open and making the whole thing explode. I'll do lots of testing before I use it in combat of course however.

DanMan
06-14-2009, 06:23 PM
You could go from a normal reg to a cocker lpr. The flow would be really slow but i am guessing that wouldn't be too much of a problem in this case.

Watcher
06-14-2009, 10:52 PM
CO2 has been known to spike up in the 1000s on a hot day.

Palmers Stabalizers can handle CO2 fairly well, other than that you might just want to run a LP HPA tank.

secretweaponevan
06-14-2009, 11:01 PM
Don't do it. The PVC could explode. This is unsafe.

However, a Rock regulator from PPS is excellent for getting CO2 down to around 40-120 psi. ;)

Plus, the cocker hose might blow if the pressure got too high. ;) ;)