PDA

View Full Version : Diagnose my Retro valve mag please

hobbesTZ
06-20-2009, 12:30 PM
I picked up a Retro valve recently and its not working up to snuff. Its in a old rental mag right now with a single finger AGD frame. I know one thing missing is that softer clear bumper, for some reason it has the blue one right now, would that cause any problems? I'm randomly getting shots that feels like its short stroking. Also when it sits for a little bit the first shot feels weaker than the others, is that normal?

Wanta B Sniper
06-20-2009, 12:46 PM
For the short stroking is your trigger rod to specs?

As for the weak shots I'm unsure.

hobbesTZ
06-20-2009, 12:49 PM
I have it set so theres just a little tiny bit of slack between the trigger and rod.

dark blade
06-20-2009, 01:15 PM
check the spring. My guess is its either the spring, the small on/off o-ring, or input pressure.

The bumper will not be a problem at all. Ive used a blue one and a clear one on my xvalves and emax valve and they work interchangably.

hobbesTZ
06-20-2009, 03:03 PM
The spring looks newish, and I replaced the oring sitting inside the on/off portion of the valve. Its an oring for a fill nipple but it looks the same size/durometer and it seems to be working but we'll see when its not so doused in oil. I still have to try it with paint.

dark blade
06-20-2009, 03:17 PM
but is the problem "fixed" for right now? because with mags, they work the same with and without paint

there really is minimal difference in how they work when comparing the two.

The only difference would be anti chopping vs non

if you want to test it as though there is paint in it, put your finger in the breech and fire it once or twice, or use a stick squeegie if you are too scared.

If it resets and works perfectly with no leaks then you are good to go. :)

hobbesTZ
06-20-2009, 03:26 PM
I just chronographed it with bad results. First shot was hitting 160 then it would climb up and up. Let it sit and it would do the same thing again. If I hold the trigger down, fire, then immediately hold it down again and chrono it like that its really consistant.

dark blade
06-20-2009, 04:05 PM
wats your input pressure from your tank?

hobbesTZ
06-20-2009, 04:07 PM
Over 800

dark blade
06-20-2009, 04:13 PM
i would say check the o-ring in the back of the front half of the regulator... if that makes sense.

Take off the back half (the heavy half) and pull out the pin and parts on there, check the o-ring clean it and oil it.

thats the only thing i can think of other than it just being a dum dum head

BiNumber3
06-20-2009, 04:52 PM
make sure there's no gunk build up in the valve, n what lvl bolt do you have on?

hobbesTZ
06-20-2009, 05:24 PM
I dissasembled everything cleaned and relubed but im still having the issue. Theres no gunk in there its really clean and the orings look fresh. The main problem is that it gets random shots where the velocity just drops. I've tried multiple tanks too. It has the level 7 bolt.

Wanta B Sniper
06-20-2009, 05:43 PM
Could it possibly be the reg piston / spring pack?

hobbesTZ
06-20-2009, 05:47 PM
I oiled the piston and greased the stack, oring looked ok.

hobbesTZ
06-20-2009, 06:29 PM
Also I just swapped the steel hose I had on it with a macroline setup and not its taking off with a crazy RT effect - not what I want here.

Wanta B Sniper
06-20-2009, 07:44 PM
Try replacing the o-ring under the reg seat... Actually, try replacing all of the o-rings. If it still acts the same with all new o-rings that means that the problem is confined to the reg (piston or spring pack).