PDA

View Full Version : Question on rules: reffing

Lohman446
06-22-2009, 12:33 PM
At one point in time teams playing used to alternate reffing duties. Of course this was when they were there to do paintchecks and not catch wiping.

Does anyone remember the rules to allow it.

My thoughts involve asking the teams to rotate, sending 3 of the five member team to work as refs. If you have two teams reffing that gives you 6 "paintcheckers" on the field. Two full time "head" refs gives you 8 people reffing every game while only having the labor costs of two.

If a league was formed that tended to promote honest players is the hope of this being a possibility far fetched?

Miltonyz
06-22-2009, 12:55 PM
Way to easy for collusion between teams. Team A and B can agree to let things slide or "miss" hits while reffing each other. At the same time Team A knows that Team C are ten points ahead of them in first. It would be way too easy for them to decide against Team C in all judgment calls. Even if all people were 100% honest it is not good form for judges to have a vested interest in the results of their cases. We make provisions for this in our legal systems and CPA's have very strict rules about their involvement with auditing clients.

sandfreestyle
06-22-2009, 12:59 PM
If there was absolutly nothing on the line (no money, prizes, winning bonuses, etc) then maybe. Otherwise it wouldn't work cause of the reasons pointed out above.

Lohman446
06-22-2009, 01:37 PM
What if... what if there are two divisions and we set it up so reffing is across divisions? Meaning you don't ref anyone in your division?

The key here is this. If we accept that refs get about $50 a day in compensation (and frankly, thats working cheap for what they do) they become a major factor in tournament cost. If we want 8 refs for ten players its $400 / day. If we get this down to two paid refs its a quarter of that. For what I envision cost savings are passed right on to the player - perhaps its not worth it when diluted across ten teams. I guess thats only $30 per team difference / $6 per player.

mtaylor
06-24-2009, 12:44 AM
Honestly, from what I've seen, to get true unbiased reffing, you basically have to bring in a ref crew from another city.

As soon as a ref knows someone, calls start to change, even if it's just that little hesitation.

Chronobreak
06-24-2009, 04:21 PM
What if... what if there are two divisions and we set it up so reffing is across divisions? Meaning you don't ref anyone in your division?

The key here is this. If we accept that refs get about $50 a day in compensation (and frankly, thats working cheap for what they do) they become a major factor in tournament cost. If we want 8 refs for ten players its $400 / day. If we get this down to two paid refs its a quarter of that. For what I envision cost savings are passed right on to the player - perhaps its not worth it when diluted across ten teams. I guess thats only $30 per team difference / $6 per player.

how are things over there in Eden lohman ? :D

I just see it was one of those nobel ideas that just wont work. I like the idea of the home team field reffing and not playing in part of their sponsorship with the field etc.

the savings cost is a huge draw for most, but i just see it being beyond difficult to have reffing even and fair, and refs should be in my opinion trained well and be employees of the field. YOur idea of players refing is kinda like jsut grabbing someone from OP ro tuna private game.

Lohman446
06-24-2009, 04:42 PM
I would like paintball to be like the paintball I remember - of course I seem to be remembering only the good...