PDA

View Full Version : Some basic questions

derfalpha
06-24-2009, 04:32 PM
What's the operating pressure of an Automag? Is it like a Tippmann, ie, something like 800 psi?

If the operating pressure is much less, something like 400, I presume the regulator is the thing that's responsible in dropping it to that? After all, the air comes from a HP tank, which means 800 psi or thereabouts.

If, the operating pressure is infact around 800 psi, then what purpose does the regulator serve? Does it make the output more consistent? How much more so?

If the regulator merely makes the shots more consistent, would we be able to in theory fire the marker without the regulator? (if we figure out a way to bypass the air straight into the volume cylinder.

Basically i want to imagine a high pressure version of the automag, with no regulator, assuming the automag is infact low pressure.

kcombs9
06-24-2009, 05:05 PM
I don't know all the answers but I know the Valve is rated at 3000psi.

don't use anything less then 750ish psi

So you can use a 1000psi out put air tank and it will work fine.

Spider-TW
06-24-2009, 05:27 PM
The automag regulator operates between 425 and 450 psi, depending on the bolt installed. This is why low pressure HPA bottles don't work on mags when they are putting out about 450 psi. Regulators don't flow very fast without a good differential pressure.

It's common for RT mags to be set up with about 1000 psi to the regulator, but the pressure in the dump chamber is still in the 450 psi range (for the same 300 fps or so).

For significantly higher pressure in the dump chamber, you would need to redesign the whole front end of the valve and bolt.

xero28
06-24-2009, 05:34 PM
If I remember correctly, I believe the actual pressure in the air chamber is something around 400 psi. It is recommended that you use around 700-800 psi going in to the gun so you don't starve it on fast strings. The regulator is in fact the thing that drops the pressure. I'm not sure if you're familiar with them, but take for example an Autococker. You will usually have a standard HP tank (800 psi) going into the gun. There is a High Pressure Regulator between the tank and the valve that takes that 800 psi and drops it down to a working pressure of 300-400 psi. The AutoMag valve is essentially the High Pressure Regulator, hence the original name A.I.R. (Advanced Integrated Regulator). Where guns like cockers require a completely separate air chamber and external regulator, the AutoMag has everything bundled up in a nice, compact package.

derfalpha
06-25-2009, 06:56 AM
Some good answers.

So why did AGD decide to want ~400 psi in the dump chamber instead of using the air tanks ~800 psi regulator?

Looper
06-25-2009, 08:10 AM
Some good answers.

So why did AGD decide to want ~400 psi in the dump chamber instead of using the air tanks ~800 psi regulator?
I can only speculate because I am not AGD.

The size of the chamber and the ~400 PSI allows for the ball to travel at the required speed. They could have used a smaller chamber by increasing the pressure but my guess is they found this to be the optimal ratio.

Also something to think about is Consistency. If they relied only on the tank regulator for output pressure then it would be all over the place from different manufactures. By incorporating a regulator into the valve they have added the ability to adjust the chrono of the marker and add shot to shot consistency, even when swapping HPA tanks.

Looper
06-25-2009, 08:22 AM
If the regulator merely makes the shots more consistent, would we be able to in theory fire the marker without the regulator? (if we figure out a way to bypass the air straight into the volume cylinder.

Basically i want to imagine a high pressure version of the automag, with no regulator, assuming the automag is infact low pressure.

There is a lot going on with the valve... change one thing and you'll need to adjust for it in other places. If you where able to increase the dump chamber pressure it would probably cause havoc with the re cocking of the bolt because the spring may not behave the way it should with the higher output pressure. (too much air pressure to re cock)

You might want to do some research on the FN 303, (Manike Youtube vids) it had a larger dump chamber for higher velocities, but then I start to ask why would you want to do that?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AS0SehHVS2Y

athomas
06-25-2009, 03:48 PM
The level 7 bolt uses somewhere around 350 psi and the level 10 bolt can use over 500 psi depending on the bolt spring used. The integrated regulator allows consistent chamber pressure independent of the bottle used. This was especially useful when the gun was first invented and CO2 was the primary source of propellant. It had a habit of changing output pressure as the temperature of the day changed. This would alter the velocity. By having an integrated regulator, the mag was one of the most velocity stable guns on the market.

If you measure the output of a bottle regulator, you will find that it will change a bit from full to empty. This is why almost all present setups have a second regulator involved somewhere in the line. Again, the mag has it built in while others have it as a front vertical regulator.

You can bypass the mag integrated regulator and utilize a vertical regulator. It will do the same except now you have the weight of an additional regulator on your gun. You can ditch the heavy stainless back section if you have an aluminum plug/cap to screw on in its place.