PDA

View Full Version : Questions about RTP rails and sear and other fun things

pinkanese
06-28-2009, 02:39 PM
Questions questions questions

Will a Classic ss body fit on an rtp rail?

Do I need an r/t sear for an rtp rail?

If yes to the above will an r/t sear work with a classic 68 valve?

Will a z frame fit onto an am/mm rail with a vert asa, if not why?

Am I correct in remembering that an rt on/off in a classic valve works and results in a lighter trigger pull? but will it also cause the valve to have an rt affect?

I think that is everything if I have more I will ask. Thanks in advance for any answers :).

pinkanese
06-29-2009, 05:45 PM
oh come now, I am sure there are plenty of people here who could answer all these questions in just a few minutes, so please would some one post for me?

georgeyew
06-29-2009, 05:48 PM

Yes

Yes along with a RTP pin

Yes

Will a z frame fit onto an am/mm rail with a vert asa, if not why?

You could fit it on, but the frame will stick too far forward for you to put a grip on the vertical ASA.

Am I correct in remembering that an rt on/off in a classic valve works and results in a lighter trigger pull? but will it also cause the valve to have an rt affect?

I think that is everything if I have more I will ask. Thanks in advance for any answers :).

See comments in red.

DamianTC
06-30-2009, 05:58 PM
For a classic body to fit on a RTP rail, you need to send the rail to someone like Luke to have it milled to accept the classic body

The RTP rail needs the sear and pin.

Classic valve will work the same as it always did.

A vert ASA will fit using a Z grip and a AM/MM rail. The question is what are you going to attach on the ASA... that might be too big.

The RT on/off works in the classic valve, but your not going to get a lighter pull.. More like a crisper pull. and there will be no RT effect.

vf-xx
06-30-2009, 06:22 PM
For a classic body to fit on a RTP rail, you need to send the rail to someone like Luke to have it milled to accept the classic body

I think that depends on the specific body. Take your mag apart and take a look at where the front screw threads are. If that threaded block is oval, you will need either the rail or the body modified.

If its round then you're good.

pinkanese
07-01-2009, 06:02 PM
Thanks for all the help so far guys.

I have one more really quick question, do RTP rails have a flat bottom? I know classic R/T's do, but I was not sure about RTP and Emag rails.

vf-xx
07-01-2009, 07:34 PM
Yes

athomas
07-03-2009, 04:25 PM

yes, if you make the hole in the rail fit the oval pim of the body, or make the pim of the body round to fit the hole in the rail.

yes

Yes, retro and air valves are interchangeable.

Will a z frame fit onto an am/mm rail with a vert asa, if not why?If you use a rail extender you can use a vertical ASA.

Am I correct in remembering that an rt on/off in a classic valve works and results in a lighter trigger pull? but will it also cause the valve to have an rt affect?A rt on-off will fit an AIR valve and make the trigger pull lighter, but you will not have a reactive trigger like a retro valve.

I think that is everything if I have more I will ask. Thanks in advance for any answers :).I have added to what was already mentioned. See above in red.

pinkanese
07-03-2009, 05:21 PM
I have added to what was already mentioned. See above in red.
Have you actually tried the r/t on/off in a AIR valve or are you just passing on hearsay?

athomas
07-03-2009, 08:26 PM
Have you actually tried the r/t on/off in a AIR valve or are you just passing on hearsay?I have owned mags since 1993. I have a 68 Automag, a retromag, and an emag, and a micromag, and micro-emag. I have tried almost all combinations. I can say without any hesitation that you won't get any retro action. The return force of the regulated air on the top of the on-off pin from the AIR valve is just not enough to cause it.

maniacmechanic
07-03-2009, 09:53 PM
Have you actually tried the r/t on/off in a AIR valve or are you just passing on hearsay?

Mr. athomas does nothing on hearsay , from what i've seen , most definitetly some of Thee Best tech advise around here , I do my best to read every one of his posts ( even the archived ones )

pinkanese
07-03-2009, 10:02 PM
I have owned mags since 1993. I have a 68 Automag, a retromag, and an emag, and a micromag, and micro-emag. I have tried almost all combinations. I can say without any hesitation that you won't get any retro action. The return force of the regulated air on the top of the on-off pin from the AIR valve is just not enough to cause it.
My apologies I was unaware of your history. I did not think it would cause my mag to have a retro effect, I am hoping to get a lighter pull on the trigger. I notice that when I shoot on my carbon framed mag I tend to short stroke the trigger quite a bot when I shoot fast, I know I need some practice :). But I am now building a Z-Frame'd mag adn I wanted to do something to keep from short stroking so much.

KC
07-03-2009, 10:19 PM
If you were planning to buy a RT on/off your only about 30 bucks away from buying a true RT valve and selling off the classic valve...

athomas
07-04-2009, 09:39 AM
A retro valve will help solve the short stroking problem. The charge rate is so fast that even if you don't fully release the trigger, it has enough open time to recharge the front chamber. The AIR valve however, needs a fully released trigger to properly charge in an acceptable amount of time to allow a high rate of fire.

If you have a problem with short stroking, putting a retro on-off in the valve may make it worst. Check your trigger setting as well. If the trigger rod is too long and touching the back of the trigger, it can create a short stroke situation by not allowing the on-off to fully open.

pinkanese
07-04-2009, 08:06 PM
alright I guess I will just see how it all works when I get my new mag built and then save up for a new valve later if I need it. Thanks for all the imput :)

BTW does anyone know the size of the orings on a twistlock barrel? I tried to measure them but wanted to see if anyone had something more accurate than I.