PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a new laptop, completely overwhelmed, need some guidance

BobTheCow
06-29-2009, 06:36 AM
Hey AO,

I haven't been around as much lately, but hopefully you'll still find it within your heart to help me out a bit here.

Last time I bought a laptop was right around four years ago, and while I was only moderately familiar with hardware and options at the time, I'm completely overwhelmed now. I have no idea where to even begin, I was hoping I could get nudged in the right direction as far as features/specs to look for that would be right for me without going overboard.

My requirements:
- Not a Dell (had a string of awful experiences with them, and even if it was a fluke, have no interest in doing business with them)
- Web browsing
- Photo editing/managing (Photoshop and Lightroom)
- Watching movies/TV shows
- Decent battery length would be very nice, but I suppose isn't essential... 4 hours would be great, but is that realistic?
- Potentially light video editing in the future, but this is the last possible feature focus

I'm looking for something in the 13-15" range. I've had a 17" in the past which was too big, I have a 15" now that I'm fairly happy with, but I'm looking for my next laptop to be significantly more mobile and so I'll go play with some 13" models in person somewhere before I make my final decision.

Price range: Certainly under $2,000 as a hard and fast limit, closer to $1,000 would be ideal. I don't need to buy any fancy software with the initial purchase other than OS (and I don't really care what OS, I have XP now but have no doubt I'll be able to get used to Vista or Windows 7 in no time.)

So I guess what I'd like to know is what sorts of numbers/brands should I be looking at for RAM, processor, etc? Or even brands of computer overall? I'm completely in the woods. Thanks so much. I promise once I have some sort of basis to work from I'll be able to do plenty of my own research without asking a million new questions each day of you fine folks.

Lohman446
06-29-2009, 07:52 AM
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9167689&type=product&id=1218041150488

14.1" screen
Decent built in speakers
HDMI port - in the end this was a must have for me
Radeon graphics card (forget which one)
4 gigs ram

I'm happy with it - doing everything that you described for under $600

And now a free upgrade to Windows 7 when it comes out - I just preordered mine for $50 so not too annoyed by that

teufelhunden
06-29-2009, 08:53 AM
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9167689&type=product&id=1218041150488

14.1" screen
Decent built in speakers
HDMI port - in the end this was a must have for me
Radeon graphics card (forget which one)
4 gigs ram

I'm happy with it - doing everything that you described for under $600

And now a free upgrade to Windows 7 when it comes out - I just preordered mine for $50 so not too annoyed by that

Forget that. Get a Lenovo. I just got a new laptop a month or two ago, it's a Lenovo Ideapad Y530. Awesome machine, solid, and, hands down, best laptop keyboard I EVER used.

Lenovo Y450 and Y430 are both 14.1" screens. A little more expensive than some other brands, but it's not wasted money. Solid machine, good ergos, extras.

www.lenovo.com - also check their refurbs (under outlet), some good values.

vf-xx
06-29-2009, 09:49 AM
Forget that. Get a Lenovo. I just got a new laptop a month or two ago, it's a Lenovo Ideapad Y530. Awesome machine, solid, and, hands down, best laptop keyboard I EVER used.

Lenovo Y450 and Y430 are both 14.1" screens. A little more expensive than some other brands, but it's not wasted money. Solid machine, good ergos, extras.

www.lenovo.com - also check their refurbs (under outlet), some good values.

Another vote for Lenovo's. I got a set of high end 730's for myself and my wife back in November. Good sturdy build. One of the fewer laptop series that has a descrete video card. Costs extra, but makes a difference if you're wanting to do gaming or video editing, etc...

I'd say definately look into their 500 series if you want something smaller.

My personal mentality on laptops (because they're my primary computer): Buy the best you can afford at the time, because they're generally non-upgradeable. Go for DDR3 memory if you can, minimum of a dual core processor possibly with 1000MHz front side bus. Etc...

Lohman446
06-29-2009, 10:01 AM
Another vote for Lenovo's. I got a set of high end 730's for myself and my wife back in November. Good sturdy build. One of the fewer laptop series that has a descrete video card. Costs extra, but makes a difference if you're wanting to do gaming or video editing, etc...

I'd say definately look into their 500 series if you want something smaller.

My personal mentality on laptops (because they're my primary computer): Buy the best you can afford at the time, because they're generally non-upgradeable. Go for DDR3 memory if you can, minimum of a dual core processor possibly with 1000MHz front side bus. Etc...

There is some question of how much better DDR3 actually is over DDR2 due to some latency issues - I did check into that when the MAC guy (I looked at MACs) told me it was four times faster (BTW - its not).

The problem I had with HP was it took me awhile to get rid of all the HP add-on software that slowed the thing down.

I probably have a slightly different mentality with laptops. I don't do any gaming or anything too intensive - frankly any of them out there would have worked for me. The graphics card and the HDMI ports were what seperated this one out for me.

vf-xx
06-29-2009, 10:06 AM
There is some question of how much better DDR3 actually is over DDR2 due to some latency issues - I did check into that when the MAC guy (I looked at MACs) told me it was four times faster (BTW - its not).

The problem I had with HP was it took me awhile to get rid of all the HP add-on software that slowed the thing down.

I probably have a slightly different mentality with laptops. I don't do any gaming or anything too intensive - frankly any of them out there would have worked for me. The graphics card and the HDMI ports were what seperated this one out for me.

Right wrong or otherwise, I got DDR3 because it's bus speed was the same as my processors and it seems to be working just fine for me.

But we also wanted 17" screens with a built in 10key and non dell machines, so our options were limited to Lenovo, HP, or Toshiba, and I don't like HP either.

Lohman446
06-29-2009, 10:10 AM
Right wrong or otherwise, I got DDR3 because it's bus speed was the same as my processors and it seems to be working just fine for me.

But we also wanted 17" screens with a built in 10key and non dell machines, so our options were limited to Lenovo, HP, or Toshiba, and I don't like HP either.

I don't think there is anything wrong with it. What I ran into is the only non-Mac I found that used it was $1100 and kinda defeated my purpose of wanting a cheap kick around laptop. And mine does not have the full keyboard either, that may be an issue for some.

BobTheCow
06-29-2009, 01:44 PM
Whoa, lots of good info pretty quickly, thanks a lot guys.

I wasn't previously familiar with Lenovo, but I've been hearing lots of good things, so I'll have to look into them further.

Lohman - what do you use the HDMI port for? It seems interesting, but I can't see myself ever needing to push HD video to a TV from my computer, and I'm not sure what other uses would exist there.

vf-xx - possibly a newb question here, but I haven't been able to google any helpful answers. I know basically the difference between integrated and discreet video cards is the physical location, but what are the pros and cons of each, in relation to speed, multitasking, and battery usage?

vf-xx
06-29-2009, 01:56 PM
vf-xx - possibly a newb question here, but I haven't been able to google any helpful answers. I know basically the difference between integrated and discreet video cards is the physical location, but what are the pros and cons of each, in relation to speed, multitasking, and battery usage?

Biggest issue is video memory. Descrete 'cards' have their own memory that they don't share with the system RAM. This makes them faster and more powerful.

Integrated 'cards' share RAM between the system and the video card.

At this point, I'd say that most people would be fine with integrated cards, however video intesnive applications still benifit from a descrete card (video games, photoshop, some CAD programs etc...).

Quick guess is that this one is worth looking at (it's in the 3rd column).

Lenovo IdeaPad U330 - 22672FU (http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/controller/e/web/LenovoPortal/en_US/catalog.workflow:category.details?current-catalog-id=12F0696583E04D86B9B79B0FEC01C087&current-category-id=8EFAD587E2724C6D8A32A8D5048982CF)

Lohman446
06-29-2009, 02:17 PM
Whoa, lots of good info pretty quickly, thanks a lot guys.

I wasn't previously familiar with Lenovo, but I've been hearing lots of good things, so I'll have to look into them further.

Lohman - what do you use the HDMI port for? It seems interesting, but I can't see myself ever needing to push HD video to a TV from my computer, and I'm not sure what other uses would exist there.

When plugging into a monitor to use as a desktop replacement it gives me another port option. And besides - I could conceivable use my large tv as a monitor if I wanted. Besides, with the HP remote I use it as a DVD player (I did not get hte blu-ray option) in my workshop cause I was too cheap to buy a DVD player (what are they now $50). It was one of those things that I just wanted.

The HP I bought (and a handful of others) have discreet video cards, which was a MAJOR point in things I had to have. I looked specifically for that when looking at them.

teufelhunden
06-29-2009, 02:53 PM
My Lenovo also has an HDMI port. I don't use it often, but when I do, it is excellent. I've previously rigged setups to run PC video to a TV - great with Hulu and other less-than-legally obtained video. HDMI is convenient because it will carry audio, plus with HD sources it obviously carries the full resolution.

Lenovo, I believe, purchased IBM's consumer division (or maybe just laptops).

As for discreet vs. integrated, generally the more powerful chips are discreet (not available as integrated) and, as mentioned, have their own physical memory. This comes at the cost of additional heat output and battery usage though. Some laptops have both an integrated and discreet card, with the option of using either depending on your usage - a la, use integrated for web browsing to keep battery life up, use discreet for video editing or something.

Lohman446
06-29-2009, 03:31 PM
My Lenovo also has an HDMI port. I don't use it often, but when I do, it is excellent. I've previously rigged setups to run PC video to a TV - great with Hulu and other less-than-legally obtained video. HDMI is convenient because it will carry audio, plus with HD sources it obviously carries the full resolution.

Lenovo, I believe, purchased IBM's consumer division (or maybe just laptops).

As for discreet vs. integrated, generally the more powerful chips are discreet (not available as integrated) and, as mentioned, have their own physical memory. This comes at the cost of additional heat output and battery usage though. Some laptops have both an integrated and discreet card, with the option of using either depending on your usage - a la, use integrated for web browsing to keep battery life up, use discreet for video editing or something.

You are correct as far as I know. Lenovo = IBM consumer.

vf-xx
06-29-2009, 03:39 PM
You are correct as far as I know. Lenovo = IBM consumer.

And having used a Lenovo Thinkpad, IBM Thinkpad, and an Lenovo Ideapad, I haven't notice the build quality diminish.

etjoyride
06-30-2009, 03:58 PM
I'll throw in a vote for lenovo's as well. However, toshiba, HP, and sony all make nice notebooks as well as far as name brands go and then there are the custom companies.

I would suggest getting
a 2.40 ghz duo core processor or higher (intel)- there are a lot of 2.0ghz out right now but if you want to stay a little ahead of the curve go for a 2.40+
4 gb ram
250GB HD or bigger (you can never go to big) and you definitely want a 7200rpm drive
a somewhat decent video card with at least 256mb ram in it (preferably 512)
everything else is really personal preference but i would definitely try to get most of that so your computer isn't obsolete next week ;)

BobTheCow
06-30-2009, 06:08 PM
Size of hard drive isn't a big concern, I've got a 500 gig external drive that serves me well and I can always pick up another if need be, they're getting crazy cheap. Will 7200rpm significantly diminish battery life? I'd like to have a bit of a mobile option if possible, but I'd also like to be able to move around RAW files quickly with a faster HDD.

vf-xx
06-30-2009, 06:13 PM
yes 72000 will eat into battery life. If you really want fast and low power, then shell out for an SSD. I think I heard that some newer cheaper ones should be out soon.

teufelhunden
07-01-2009, 08:49 AM
Another option would be to get a 5400 internal HDD and a 7200/SSD external and run it via e-sata to store your videos there. Might be the most economical while affording you more cord-free life.

Lohman446
07-01-2009, 09:10 AM
Size of hard drive isn't a big concern, I've got a 500 gig external drive that serves me well and I can always pick up another if need be, they're getting crazy cheap. Will 7200rpm significantly diminish battery life? I'd like to have a bit of a mobile option if possible, but I'd also like to be able to move around RAW files quickly with a faster HDD.

I was thinking that exact thing when I was looking at them. The price difference to go up in size of hard drive was 3 times what I could buy externals (bigger) for.

Army
07-01-2009, 11:13 AM
I bought this Toshiba from the PX in Balad Iraq when my Acer took a royal dump (dooooooon't buy Acer)

http://laptops.toshiba.com/laptops/satellite-pro/U400

LOVE this little thing! I do not game on mine other than COD, MOH, and Battlefield 2, as it doesn't have the graphics gear for most games (barely runs these). I use it for writing reports, Power Point presentations, and internet...which it does most excellent.

The case (mine is all black) is sleek, slick, easy to use, has all the ports you need including card readers, and built in camera and fingerprint security. I especially love the keyboard surface and touchpad as they are glass smooth, and so far have not shown any indication of rubbing into the plastic (like silver colored surfaces do). Wi-Fi pickup is pretty dang good (I can get plenty of signal from a neighbor way down the street)

I'm not a techno-geek, so I use what I like, not what has the most bells and whistles and nuclear capability.....and Ilike this!

vf-xx
07-01-2009, 11:29 AM
Oh, as a random note, the IdeaPads don't have a fingerprint reader, but I believe that the ones with a built in webacam have a facial recognition security. I know mine does.

BobTheCow
07-01-2009, 12:10 PM
Oh, as a random note, the IdeaPads don't have a fingerprint reader, but I believe that the ones with a built in webacam have a facial recognition security. I know mine does.
Oh yeah, I saw something about that, and was very curious. Does that actually work/is it worth using? Honestly it sounds pretty gimicky and liable to just cause more problems to me.

vf-xx
07-01-2009, 12:15 PM
Oh yeah, I saw something about that, and was very curious. Does that actually work/is it worth using? Honestly it sounds pretty gimicky and liable to just cause more problems to me.

It's worked for me. I don't think it's quite as advanced as we'd like to think it is. But it works for me, still worked even after I got lasik and stopped wearing glasses, and doesn't work for anybody else.

Lets me be lazy and not type in my password all the time.

Note: It doesn't work well if you're backlit.