PDA

View Full Version : Milling ReTro valve for ULT

Newt
06-29-2009, 10:28 PM
I have a basic machine shop that should be more than capable of performing this operation, provided I understand everything correctly. It's just a square-bottomed hole 0.375" wide, same depth as the classic A.I.R. valve on/off hole, right?

Newt
07-11-2009, 02:14 PM
Adding to this, and narrowing the question down. Hopefully someone here with an Xvalve/RT Pro valve and a digital caliper can help on this...

I need to know what depth to mill my ReTro valve for the ULT.

I have a ReTro valve. The on/off hole is the type which accepts one oring. I also have a classic valve.

My measurements (all are from flat top lip to bottom of the hole):

ReTro:
0.542" (top step)
0.615" (bottom step, accepts oring)

Classic:
0.647"

Xvalve / RT Pro:
???

If you have a valve designed for the ULT and a digital caliper, could I get a quick depth measurement? I'd really like to get going on this.

Newt
07-14-2009, 09:13 PM
Update:

Got an initial [?exploratory] milling done. Basically I milled it about 0.005" past the bottom oring, bringing the hole to 0.620" deep.

And...

it works! Sort of. Well, it doesn't leak anyway. I can only use two shims in it, so there's really no adjustment room. I am curious how it would feel if it were to actual spec. It's certainly not walkable right now.

Maybe I should have posted this in the workshop subforum? I feel like I'm talking to myself. :ninja:

atech2
07-14-2009, 09:18 PM
The workshop might be a better place for this, but would still expect someone could help. Tunaman does this, so he should know for sure. Try emailing him.