PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Milsim Marker Appeal

derfalpha
07-01-2009, 11:21 AM
Suppose tomorrow there's a new scenario / woods marker with the following features:

- 30 round mag-fed
- .68 cal
- Looks exactly like an M4 (including magazine)
- Performance virtually identical to Tippmann / BT4
- Mid / High end priced
- Low priced magazines

Now, the appeal is obviously for more conservative players who don't feel the need to empty cases of paint to score an elimination. Keep in mind the only competition to this would be:

- 17 round Milsig
- 18 round RAP4 T68
- 25 round ATS (with questionable looks, reliability and huge price)

Would you buy it?

http://www.pbupload.com/data/500/m4.PNG

SSP REAPER
07-01-2009, 11:30 AM
nope, wouldn't give up my mag for one of these. if it has tippmann like reliability then there will be a lucrative parts market. I wish them well with their venture.

vf-xx
07-01-2009, 11:44 AM
Personally, just not into the MilSim thing. Don't mind the style of play, but I'm really not a fan of making markers look exactly like real weapons. Too many bad images for the game.

chafnerjr
07-01-2009, 12:33 PM
automag all the way... you said it would have the performance of a tippmann..

Newt
07-01-2009, 12:40 PM
Dispensing with the fact I have little love left for Tippmann style markers...

No, I wouldn't buy it. I slightly prefer milsim as long as there is no preformance compromise. About the closest I'll come is a TM7.

vf-xx
07-01-2009, 12:56 PM
I will go back and say, if you can do a good clip, I'll be very interested in seeing how.

robo1
07-01-2009, 01:15 PM
Nah, got an a5 and its ok. Love my mag though.

Lohman446
07-01-2009, 01:22 PM
Its better if the markers in my bag not look at all like real firearms

I get easily confused :P

Jaan
07-01-2009, 01:28 PM
I personally hate fake stuff.

Form should follow function. Automags look cool because that's what they look like.

I had the opportunity to get an X7 cheap and I passed it up because I hated the fake magazine.

Frizzle Fry
07-01-2009, 03:55 PM
I would. I've (in the past) loved playing with the Gen3, Gen4 and Gen5 Rap4 T68 but felt that the low capacity and performance issues were too important to allow me to keep them. So yes, if it looked good, was all metal, had internal air and a 30rd+ capacity magazine and was <$400 I would certainly buy one.

Toll
07-01-2009, 04:37 PM
It all comes down to price. If high end price you mean 4-500, maybe. If you mean in the 1k region, never.

dark blade
07-01-2009, 04:43 PM
nope, couldnt do it. Im all for being tactical and woodsball milsim style... but i could never give up my mag or pump cockers.

or the phantom i have....... but thats a random marker.

MechMags
07-01-2009, 04:58 PM
for me and most of my team it would be no go. too many m4 clones out there already and there has been little to out perform our mags from an overall standpoint (downtime, consistency, simplicity of breakdown etc. etc.).

Now something with a little more vavavoom would make it a consideration for some. Largely though.. most of the people i know while they play milsim scenarios they are what would be termed milsim peoples.

The one truer milsim player on my team would prolly go for it, as his Rap4 T68 has been nothing but problematic from the first day on the field. So thats 1 out 10+ would be willing to take such a plunge.

My greater question would be where do you see a mid to high end price?

MANN
07-01-2009, 05:31 PM
not to bust on milsim guys, but IMO its worthless. all it does is look different. There is no advantage. If anything it would be a disadvantage.

of course I wear an orange jersey when playing woodsball, and shoot a viking or rtpro. I dont want them to have an excuse when I shoot them. I dont blend in. my marker is outdated, and I am no where near as sneaky as a ninja.

It is fun tho at the beginning of the day when everyone laughs at what I am wearing only to realize that I am the one that eliminated them.

Toll
07-01-2009, 08:18 PM
The issue for alot of people will be

a) It is still a 98/A5/etc when it comes to it. This is the issue I have currently with alot of "milsim" styled markers.

b) It doesn't bring anything necissary to the table. Lets say it was chambered in First Strike rounds (and I had the the money to drop 30 rounds on some one) in a drum style magazine I could see it being very popular.

In this case an identical marker without the magazine system would infact be preferable, seeing as I have a 200 shot hopper that we've all pretty well learned to keep safe by now vs a 30 round mag. As far as the M4/etc go, I don't really know how else you could change it around. G36/g3/FAL would be neat, Bullpup style would be neat as well though does not lend its self well to the drum theory above

WickedKlown2
07-01-2009, 10:13 PM
not to bust on milsim guys, but IMO its worthless. all it does is look different. There is no advantage. If anything it would be a disadvantage.

of course I wear an orange jersey when playing woodsball, and shoot a viking or rtpro. I dont want them to have an excuse when I shoot them. I dont blend in. my marker is outdated, and I am no where near as sneaky as a ninja.

It is fun tho at the beginning of the day when everyone laughs at what I am wearing only to realize that I am the one that eliminated them.

Not to bust on you Bro,,, But didn't I take you and your wife out with a outdated marker (04 Viking) as well last AO South... :cheers: ;)

Anyway my answer to the OP would be no as well... I love my Viking and both my Mags way to much... Had a Tippmann and got rid of it quick,,, fast and in a hurry... Also I can't stand CRAP 4 ...

WK2

malJohann
07-02-2009, 01:51 AM
Milsim has its place in the market and I'm sure there would be lots of people that would buy it, but if you can make a modular marker that adjusts its ergonomics to the user (including the balance point), and make it bottom feed with a 200 round box magazine refillable with conventional pods like a hopper, you'd have a huge market. Plus, with current restrictions on BPS you'd be able to achieve the desired feed rates with ease.

kruger
07-02-2009, 02:52 AM
Mil Sim is great at the tables, showing it off. But, they are not worth the extra weight, or length that you have to carry in the woods. In my opinion, they are not worth the trouble to use, or the lack of maneuverability that you get with one. They do "look" good tho.......

MANN
07-02-2009, 06:38 AM
Not to bust on you Bro,,, But didn't I take you and your wife out with a outdated marker (04 Viking) as well last AO South... :cheers: ;)

:rofl: I am pretty sure more than once. Thats alright tho. I am bringing an extra case of paint this fall for everyone who eliminated me this spring. :D

pillage
07-02-2009, 11:43 AM
Suppose tomorrow there's a new scenario / woods marker with the following features:

- 30 round mag-fed
- .68 cal
- Mid / High end priced
- Low priced magazines

Now, the appeal is obviously for more conservative players who don't feel the need to empty cases of paint to score an elimination. Keep in mind the only competition to this would be:

- 17 round Milsig
- 18 round RAP4 T68
- 25 round ATS (with questionable looks, reliability and huge price)

Would you buy it?

http://www.pbupload.com/data/500/m4.PNG
While milsim can be neat. The M4 stocks suck, when it comes to actual use when wearing a mask. Saying performace being virtualy identical to a Tippman blowback, is like baby formula sellers, toting their product as almost the same as mother`s milk. Sounds like a cop out, because they know their product isn`t as good. Really Rap4 has put out plenty of products with questionable quality, somehow I dont see anything changing with this one.

Pale Rider
07-02-2009, 12:33 PM
I was into the Milsim thing for a while, had an A-5 and still have a 98c. I got tired of all the parts that have to be cleaned. I also found the weight of a marker that looks like a SAW or some other big gun really got to be a problem after 6-7 hours of play.

The one thing I do like is a remote and a stock. It's personal choice for sure. No I would not buy it.

[NA]WARLORD
07-02-2009, 01:21 PM
- 30 round mag-fed
- .68 cal
- Mid / High end priced
- Low priced magazines

Would you buy it?

Nope and the reasons being, a Tippmann isn't what I consider a mid/high end priced gun, therefore if it only offers the performance of an entry level marker, why such a high price ?

Also, I would have to purchase a new harness to carry the new magazines/hoppers in.

If it is based off Tippmann's design (assumed) then field stripping will be a pita.

lastly, if I was going to get a Tippmann clone, why not just buy a Tippmann ?

GRimm
07-02-2009, 06:17 PM
Im not really into the really big milsim guns anymore, I use to have an a-5 tricked out to look like an m-4 and It was extreamly uncomfortable to play with. The only way id buy a milsim gun would be if it was a 100% replica of a p90 with a working magazine + the reliability of a mag, other then that Ill stick with my emag and my phantom.

Xceolite
07-03-2009, 10:50 AM
Don't mean to be harsh on Milsim...Looks cool but is inpractical.
To me, if you want to be a G.I.Joe, play airsoft or join the military. Just my 2cents.

ezcreation
07-03-2009, 12:08 PM
Don't mean to be harsh on Milsim...Looks cool but is inpractical.
To me, if you want to be a G.I.Joe, play airsoft or join the military. Just my 2cents.

join the GI Joe killer team?
I love beginning of games where milsim army GIJoe guys comment on how visible
we are and on how old our markers are...only to realize they got wiped out while camping looking
for the perfect snipe :)

vf-xx
07-03-2009, 12:19 PM

COOOOBBBBRRRRAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!

Sundown
07-03-2009, 01:51 PM
I love beginning of games where milsim army GIJoe guys comment on how visible
we are and on how old our markers are...only to realize they got wiped out while camping looking
for the perfect snipe :)

hahah.. funny and true :) haha

chafnerjr
07-05-2009, 09:01 PM
COOOOBBBBRRRRAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!
Heh... I was on the cobra side of the GI Joe vs. Cobra scenario at OSG last year!

vf-xx
07-05-2009, 09:19 PM
Heh... I was on the cobra side of the GI Joe vs. Cobra scenario at OSG last year!

Now I want to get a blue Grill and match it up with a helmet, paint it blue, and add the appropriate logos....

BenoitOWN
07-06-2009, 02:22 AM
You fogot the tiberius T4 as a competitor, they would need to release a new mag for paintball only bigger than 14. I could see their huge mag hold 30paintball hehe.

Riddler236
07-06-2009, 02:45 AM
I don't personally have any interest in milsim markers.

Style does have a huge place in paintball, however, and I am sure there are those who prefer the milsim thing. I just don't understand why most of them are so ridiculously overpriced for the low-performance platforms they're built on.

Is this because companies don't understand what players want; or because milsim players don't care about performance?

Ravenneon
07-13-2009, 07:08 PM
I have a milsim marker....its called the warp left TAC-One!

Toll
07-13-2009, 07:26 PM
Its just very hard to compete with "regular" markers from a mil-sim sort of thing. I will point out that Oily's Ion/Para-saw is pretty much the ultimate in what could be millsimmy and still competitively functional. Mostly because it's so damn pretty but it cuts out the only two factors that I really hate about milsim markers : Ammo count/ease of loading.

Link to oily's creation : http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/diy-tech/82139-m249-ion-breif-how-guide.html

Sumthinwicked
07-13-2009, 07:26 PM
tacone longbow <<< im happy with it

chinstrap
07-14-2009, 10:51 AM
I have a milsim marker....its called the warp left TAC-One!

Centerfeed here, but I have a CAMO Apache on top. :ninja: