PDA

View Full Version : Playing stock class

Lohman446
07-01-2009, 12:30 PM
Ok - I intend to play stock class - maybe some light tournaments here and there if I can find them, probably some scenarios here and there just for fun. Since I sold all my gear last year I am trying to figure out what I need and don't need.

Marker - ordered a grey ghost - going to pick up and build my own sniper at some point

Obviously I need CO2 cartridges - so I ordered a box of 50

The gentleman who sold me the marker on MCB was nice enough to include as many ten round tubes as he can fit in the box.

Of course I'll need a harness or belt of some type.

I have an old Flex 7 mask that I ordered a new lens for.

Obviously I am familiar with paintball, but not this aspect. When I get there what am I going to kick myself for not having?

Newt
07-01-2009, 12:48 PM
Elbow and knee pads. If fast and light is your game, that'll be at least as important as your marker.

behemoth
07-01-2009, 12:54 PM
You're gonna need something to put those ten-round tubes in.

I used a neoprene shotgun shell belt from dick's (it was 6 bucks) with a crown royal bag strung to the front for a dump pouch.

Worked good, but the thing streteches a bit, and tubes fall out (i was using it cap-less style, and as such, i lost some paint while running.

I'm thinking of cutting smaller-than-needed holes in the other side (so the tube can slide all the way thru, instead of 3in in, and using it as a harness with caps.

If you want something a bit nicer, check out these guys: http://www.pbmafia.com/packs.html

Lohman446
07-01-2009, 01:13 PM
Elbow and knee pads. If fast and light is your game, that'll be at least as important as your marker.

I really dislike elbow and knee pads :). I have played hard front before and always just dealt with the bruising. Pain is part of the game - we are after all shooting things at each other.

Jaan
07-01-2009, 01:23 PM
Joyride pack from PB Mafia.

Not only is it a great pack, but the customer service is outstanding. There's a thread about it now on MCB in fact. They also make leg harnesses too.

I went through all that stuff in the past; shotgun belts, bandoleers etc. I even made my own bandoleer out of leather. The Joyride's been the best pack I've used so far. I can't say enough about it.

I like my dump pouch too. I made it myself (there's a thread on MCB) for a few dollars, but you can buy them easily enough. PB Mafia sell them too.

I keep my 12 grams on my wrist but that's my personal preference. I used a shotgun shell holder, the kind that slips over the stock that costs like $3.

There's not much to it...that's what I like about stock class play. You don't end up having to carry 30 lbs of stuff with you.

Lohman446
07-01-2009, 01:27 PM
I like the idea of the leg holder better than the pack style. Am I going to find that its better in idea than it is in reality.

Old School 626
07-01-2009, 01:30 PM
Squeegee / swab?

Lohman446
07-01-2009, 01:34 PM
Squeegee / swab?

Thank you - yes - need to make sure I have one somewhere. That would have been a I know better thing

Thordic
07-01-2009, 01:52 PM
I love my Ronin Gear harness. Everything is solid, its light, you can fill it up as much (or as little) as needed. If you fill it entirely, it can you last you for hours.

With belt/leg/wrist holders, I always felt like stuff was jiggling around and getting snagged on things.

http://images.marketworks.com/hi/55/54922/ux0040a.jpg

iisports used to sell them on ebay, they were pretty cheap.

Old School 626
07-01-2009, 02:03 PM
Thank you - yes - need to make sure I have one somewhere. That would have been a I know better thing

Sorry man, it was low hanging fruit.

Jaan
07-01-2009, 02:11 PM
I like the idea of the leg holder better than the pack style. Am I going to find that its better in idea than it is in reality.A lot of people swear by them. I guess it depends on the game. Since I play more woodsball a Joyride is basically what I'll shoot the entire day, I never have to reload. But, in all fairness, I don't think I've gone through 10 tubes in one "session" ever. I didn't even go through 150 rounds at Castle Conquest.

Smoothice
07-01-2009, 02:13 PM
Bounce cap?

Since every shot counts. Every bounce is a bonus.

I know guys that wear those arm pads just for increased bounce-ability.

Smoothice
07-01-2009, 02:17 PM
I use this leg harness. http://www.pbreview.com/products/reviews/5299/

I love it. Holds your 10 round tubes and your 12'ies.

Clips around a belt and around your leg.

FYI - Keep the leg belt kinda loose. Otherwise your pants will get all jacked up and you will be fighting it all day. With it a little loose it moves with your pants and you don't even notice it is there.

turbo chicken
07-01-2009, 02:19 PM
While i can't tell you you won't regret a leg harness... what i can say is i can no longer wear a pack around my waist or on my fanny ...

I also built a sniper this season for a change from SC ... and still use the harness.

It's a great value and you won't loose much if you decide to resell it. :headbang:

Lohman446
07-01-2009, 02:55 PM
Now I remember about paintball...

$100 here, $130there, $2178 there, $50 there, bag of paint to last three weeks, and all of a sudden its expensive again...

And I had forgotten the squeegie btw

Spider-TW
07-01-2009, 03:20 PM
I really dislike elbow and knee pads :). I have played hard front before and always just dealt with the bruising. Pain is part of the game - we are after all shooting things at each other.
At first I thought "yeah.", but if you get into tournaments, you don't get to pick your field. Consider the possibility of playing on a clay soil that was previously wet in the depressions behind the bunkers. It makes those tall ridges and dries hard. Crushed rock is sometimes better than pocketed clay.

We occasionally play scenarios on a field full of cactus, it is a good place for knee pads, but ballistic nylon pants are even better. I hate wearing codura, but sometimes it is worth it.

Lohman446
07-01-2009, 03:21 PM
At first I thought "yeah.", but if you get into tournaments, you don't get to pick your field. Consider the possibility of playing on a clay soil that was previously wet in the depressions behind the bunkers. It makes those tall ridges and dries hard. Crushed rock is sometimes better than pocketed clay.

We occasionally play scenarios on a field full of cactus, it is a good place for knee pads, but ballistic nylon pants are even better. I hate wearing codura, but sometimes it is worth it.

I played on a dried river bed (complete with rocks once). Myself and the other front player noted it had some issues.

gimp
07-01-2009, 04:14 PM
I use a pbmafia wrist harness, but I put it on my upper arm, by my shoulder. It's tighter and it doesn't move or get in the way. I put a 12gram in my pocket. Sometimes I'll use a ronin wrist harness in addition to the pbmafia one if I think I'll need more.

Jaan
07-01-2009, 05:30 PM
Now I remember about paintball...

$100 here, $130there, $2178 there, $50 there, bag of paint to last three weeks, and all of a sudden its expensive again...Stock Class???

-Gun (like a nice Phantom) $200-$400 new

-Stock class harness $30

-Tubes $.10 each

-12 grams $.30-$.50 each

-Bag of paint 500 for $15 and it will last me 3-5 days of play, easy.

So for $500 you can get set up and play for a whole year.

Sumthinwicked
07-01-2009, 05:30 PM
when i played pump for 10 years i used ronin wrist harness on my ankle LOL great spot right foot cause im right handed and a shotgun belt from walmart in the hunting section they were 3 dollars and i have about 4 LOL they work very well... i switched over to a longbow with a custom harness i dont carry 10 rounders anymore but fyi they fit tight in molly spots LOL

drg
07-01-2009, 05:33 PM
I know guys that wear those arm pads just for increased bounce-ability.

Indeed this is a major benefit of pads of all types, but especially elbow pads. In fact if the tournament allows it, IMO you would be silly not to take advantage of this, even if your elbow never touches the ground.

Lohman446
07-01-2009, 05:40 PM
Stock Class???

-Gun (like a nice Phantom) $200-$400 new

-Stock class harness $30

-Tubes $.10 each

-12 grams $.30-$.50 each

-Bag of paint 500 for $15 and it will last me 3-5 days of play, easy.

So for $500 you can get set up and play for a whole year.

You don't know me well - I tend to overdo everything a touch. :) I already ordered the base marker for my custom build + the grey ghost I have coming to get me through this year.

Sumthinwicked
07-01-2009, 05:47 PM
Indeed this is a major benefit of pads of all types, but especially elbow pads. In fact if the tournament allows it, IMO you would be silly not to take advantage of this, even if your elbow never touches the ground.
i do knee and elbow but im fat and i play snake so i need the bow at least and my knees well im old :P

gimp
07-01-2009, 10:53 PM
I have a habit of running as fast as I can through the woods and just totally wiping out. Elbow pads and knee pads are a must. I use some soccer knee pads. I didn't know people wore knee pads in soccer. They were like 20 bucks and they work great. Super comfortable.

Jaan
07-02-2009, 12:26 AM
You don't know me well - I tend to overdo everything a touch. :) LOL, I'm the same way...however I tend to overdo simplicity, if that makes any sense.

When I go down the keep it simple path, I tend to really keep it simple :D

Smoothice
07-02-2009, 12:27 AM
I didn't know people wore knee pads in soccer.

Maybe the goalie.

Zygote
07-02-2009, 10:28 AM
The joyride pack from pbmafia is really nice. I think they make a leg harnesses as well.

A dump pouch for empty tubes and 12 grams is a good idea too. I remember someone mentioning that they found a good one at Staples. I think it was a litter bag for a car.

The feedgate at the end of the stockfeed tube will tend to wear out over time and will need to be replaced. You can either buy them individually from CCI or whoever sells phantom accessories or buy way more than you will ever need here: http://www.sock-locks.com/buy.htm They are the single ones, not the doubles.

Jaan
07-03-2009, 12:51 AM
A dump pouch for empty tubes and 12 grams is a good idea too. I remember someone mentioning that they found a good one at Staples. I think it was a litter bag for a car.Yup...

Link to MCB page (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/custom-projects-custom-questions/55780-cheap-dump-pouch-revisited.html)

BiNumber3
07-03-2009, 01:11 AM
i've seen something in the making that attaches to your stock, and holds some tubes n 12's, think it may have been on mcb, only down side would be that it'd only hold a few tubes.

GoatBoy
07-03-2009, 06:20 PM

I have a saying for this...

"You're going to have to live with your body for the rest of your life, so take care of it."

Typical bruising is one thing, but messing your joints up is another... probably best to err on the safe side.

Personally, I've never liked wearing holsters/etc. on my legs.

Fred
07-04-2009, 02:01 PM
Stick squeegee will be important when you're getting back into it... you will chop a couple before you learn precisely how to rock'n'cock a ball perfectly into the breech ever time.

Paint in the barrel = hosed when you can't shoot enough behind it to clear it, especially with only 10-15 in the feed tube.

Hard and fast is really the name of the game, and practice your snap shooting.