PDA

View Full Version : Reanodize a ULE body with small threads?

mr doo doo
07-03-2009, 11:00 PM
i currently have a pump mag, but want to make it interchangeable to a semi using the same body and rail. but...i have a strange gripe about full length ULE bodies on classic rails (yea, call me crazy :tard: ). looks good with a pump though in my opinion.

i want to cut the front of the ULE body to sit flush with the rail, but by doing that i'll have to reanodize the body. what makes me so concerned about it is i've had the body drilled for a horizontal feed tube (8-32 x 5/8), and since its already been anodized once, im scared another run will eat the threads away. and also, i guess, the barrel threads and feedneck threads.

would it be ok to do so and not have to worry about the screw hole? maybe get it cut, reanodized, and retapped?

kcombs9
07-04-2009, 09:06 AM
don't think anodizing any parts will eat the threads away.

people re anodize body's and rails and frames all the time and this is the first time I've heard this claim.

fsrxc1
07-04-2009, 03:46 PM
Actually yes it can ruin a body...it is not the annodizing that ruins the body...it is the stripping process...if you have only had it done once you should be ok...two to three times is the max and when the metal starts getting thing...but you should be ok

StygShore
07-04-2009, 05:40 PM
a good anodizer will mask the threads so as not to throw off any thread tolerances.

Liquid Latex/Rubber cement is your friend in this case just make sur eyou only get it on the threads

Styg

Mongoose
07-04-2009, 06:05 PM
a good anodizer will mask the threads so as not to throw off any thread tolerances.

Liquid Latex/Rubber cement is your friend in this case just make sur eyou only get it on the threads

Styg

what he said :cheers:

maniacmechanic
07-04-2009, 10:16 PM
Actually yes it can ruin a body...it is not the annodizing that ruins the body...it is the stripping process...if you have only had it done once you should be ok...two to three times is the max and when the metal starts getting thing...but you should be ok

What he said also , stripping removes metal or was that clothes :confused: i'm old I forget :rolleyes:

Shane-O-Mac
07-05-2009, 04:46 PM

Yes stripping the body for re-annoing removes .0005 of metal or so, but when re-annoed properly the anno adds that back, as long as it is done by a reputable, experienced shop, your fine.

cockerpunk
07-05-2009, 04:57 PM
well anno is about .004 thick, the oxidation grows during the process both on top of, and into the metal, most of the time symmetrically. this means the anno grows by .002 each time, but is 4 thick.

so when you strip and reanno, you pull 4 thou off, and your new anno grows the part by 2 thou, so you have a net loss of 2 thou.

now, you do that 3 or 4 times, then you start talking 5 thou off which is measurable and such.

mr doo doo
07-05-2009, 06:39 PM
for sure for sure, thanks for the input everyone. got my body anodized by 125 Customs, and it came out well. also want it to be the same color, so what better to go back to the same company. i'll probably let them know about the thread situation. thanks again!

Shane-O-Mac
07-06-2009, 04:44 PM
well anno is about .004 thick, the oxidation grows during the process both on top of, and into the metal, most of the time symmetrically. this means the anno grows by .002 each time, but is 4 thick.

so when you strip and reanno, you pull 4 thou off, and your new anno grows the part by 2 thou, so you have a net loss of 2 thou.

now, you do that 3 or 4 times, then you start talking 5 thou off which is measurable and such.

yup..had an extra zero in my numbers...lol