PDA

View Full Version : Smokers

maniacmechanic
07-05-2009, 10:00 PM
I don't want to debate the cons or pros of smoking , I am just interested in how much smokes are where you live , At this point name brands are up above the 5 dollar mark in florida

behemoth
07-05-2009, 11:01 PM
Well, i've been clean for 5 weeks and 3 days.

But they're up to about 5.65 here for Camels.

We used to be able to drive to the Indian reservations in NY, but they've changed the tax laws. Used to be ,any cigs on the res had no taxes, as such we'd get cartons for 24 bucks.

Now, the only cigs excempt from the taxes are the Indian cigs - Herons, Senecas, etc. The nasty ones nobody smokes anyway :D

[NA]WARLORD
07-06-2009, 12:02 AM
I don't want to debate the cons or pros of smoking , I am just interested in how much smokes are where you live , At this point name brands are up above the 5 dollar mark in florida

Yeah, as of July 1, cigarettes went up 1 dollar per pack across Florida. Funny thing is, there are more alcohol consuming people in Fl then smokers, why not impose a tax on beer/wine and booze and let us smokers decide when to kill ourselves vs having the Govt decide for us ? Since Fl is a tourism state, I would tend to think they would make more money hand over fist, raising taxes on alcohol.

BTW, MM, smokers in NY pay upwards of 9.00 per pack, so 6.00 a pack really isn't that bad ;)

Fred
07-06-2009, 12:10 AM
the new tobacco taxes here are already killing the cigar industry in Tampa.

Way to go government!

maniacmechanic
07-06-2009, 06:03 AM
Well, i've been clean for 5 weeks and 3 days.

But they're up to about 5.65 here for Camels.

We used to be able to drive to the Indian reservations in NY, but they've changed the tax laws. Used to be ,any cigs on the res had no taxes, as such we'd get cartons for 24 bucks.

Now, the only cigs excempt from the taxes are the Indian cigs - Herons, Senecas, etc. The nasty ones nobody smokes anyway :D

CONGRATS , i've tried & tried , still can't kick em

maniacmechanic
07-06-2009, 06:05 AM
the new tobacco taxes here are already killing the cigar industry in Tampa.

Way to go government!

Hav A Tampa allready shut down thier Tampa factory , from what I heard

robo1
07-06-2009, 07:26 AM
What are they gonna do when people quit? Your right, they should have taxed alcohol. Think of the lives saved when drunks are off the road.

BigEvil
07-06-2009, 07:35 AM
Wifey's smokes are $10.25 a pack on the corner of my street. :tard: My usual stogie went from $7 to $10 a pop now also.

Warwitch
07-06-2009, 07:37 AM
But yeah Hank, they are at $5 in Ft. Myers too. Pretty sure they were about $7 in NY. :eek:

I dont smoke cigs anymore. Best thing I ever quit. Well, a close second after strippers maybe. :rolleyes:

robo1
07-06-2009, 07:57 AM
Im paying 35 a carton for 305s, and they are cheap cigarettes.

behemoth
07-06-2009, 09:24 AM
CONGRATS , i've tried & tried , still can't kick em
The way i see it, you'll quit when you're ready to - or when you're forced to.

Sad thing is, I enjoyed smoking. I'm young and dumb and couldnt care about the health risks.

I got sick the day we left for tunaball, some freak stomach-virus thing. I carried my smokes that whole weekend, and didnt have a single one. I couldnt. By the time i felt decent enough to potentially smoke one, it was 3 weeks later, and i asked myself "Why start now?"

We'll see. I hope to make it last, but with my luck, something tremendously stupid will happen, set me off, and i'll go grabbing for a smoke out of habit.

SSP REAPER
07-06-2009, 10:50 AM
The way i see it, you'll quit when you're ready to - or when you're forced to.

Sad thing is, I enjoyed smoking. I'm young and dumb and couldnt care about the health risks.

I got sick the day we left for tunaball, some freak stomach-virus thing. I carried my smokes that whole weekend, and didnt have a single one. I couldnt. By the time i felt decent enough to potentially smoke one, it was 3 weeks later, and i asked myself "Why start now?"

We'll see. I hope to make it last, but with my luck, something tremendously stupid will happen, set me off, and i'll go grabbing for a smoke out of habit.
I agree with you there behemoth. I ended my smoking career in NJ @ TB3. I have smoked since I was 11 and am now going to be 27 this month. I have not had one since, and could care less about smoking ever again. I feel alot better every morning I wake up, and every time I make a run playing paintball. I like being healthier, and will continue to stay away from cigarettes.

behemoth
07-06-2009, 10:55 AM
I agree with you there behemoth. I ended my smoking career in NJ @ TB3. I have smoked since I was 11 and am now going to be 27 this month. I have not had one since, and could care less about smoking ever again. I feel alot better every morning I wake up, and every time I make a run playing paintball. I like being healthier, and will continue to stay away from cigarettes.

Yep, i started at 12. Lucky strikes. lol.

Mongoose
07-06-2009, 10:58 AM

Wow...sounds like TB3 was more then just a paintball outing. Glad to hear we were a good influence :D .....although i still continue to smoke....and for the record i pay $7.24 after tax.

Mongoose
07-06-2009, 11:00 AM
Yep, i started at 12. Lucky strikes. lol.

Wow.....i didnt start until i was 18......i was always against it until i got wasted at a bar one night and well it all went downhill from there......"Yes i had a fake ID" :ninja:

Glad to hear your feeling alot better and sticking with it :cheers:

Next year lunch is on me :)

flyingpootang
07-06-2009, 11:38 AM
I started when I was 14 quit for 5 years at 27 and been on a 2 years off a year etc. Finally got tiered from trying to hide it from the wife and kids in January. Back then it was 4.85 for name brand, but my mother in law bought a pack 2 months ago and it was 7.85 in CA. For me it's not the last one that is hard to put down it's the first one. It starts with 1 a week, to 1 a day, then 2 a day, to 3 only at work, then next only when no ones around to man I gotta quit.....

Ando
07-06-2009, 03:57 PM
Sucking on the Tail of the Devil is BAD..BAD..BAD!!!! :p

I don't smoke but do like the smell of it for some odd reason. I think cigs in MD are going between $5-7 a pack depending on the brand.

trevorjk
07-06-2009, 05:08 PM
chicago is upwards 8-9 for a pack of camels. northern illinois is around 5ish a pack of camel. wisconsin is around 6ish a pack of camel.

if you guys want smokes, find some one in the military and have them pick you up a carton for 10 bucks when they come back. that or order online

sjrtk
07-07-2009, 10:30 PM
nj 7.86 a pack name brand but i do live in a beach town. still only .75 cheaper off island and in land. quiting. :)