PDA

View Full Version : Duckslide Phantom: Should I paint or anno?

Stayhuge
07-07-2009, 08:38 PM
Hi everyone,

I am at a cross roads here. I just got a Duckslide Phantom, and it is all chrome. I usually would just get the whole thing annoed, but most of the guys that I have had do my work in the past, aren't taking on new work. The only reputable place that I know of is Gruntbull, and I have seen that they have messed up some things, so I am not too confident in them. Also, funds are a little tight right now. Don't really have $200 to drop on anno. My questions are: Should I just paint the marker? If so, what will be the best paint to use? I really just want something that isn't going to just scratch off. Thanks everyone.

behemoth
07-07-2009, 08:56 PM
If you paint a duckslide, i'll cry.

DevilMan
07-07-2009, 09:04 PM
Since it's chrome already, I would go with PAINT. Just do a nice coat of duracoat on it.

That way it's easily removed, don't muck any tolerances and don't really hurt the over marker.

It's more easily removed.

And the chrome is going to be major protection for the most part from dents and dings.

Def take before and after shots though.

DM

Newt
07-07-2009, 09:45 PM
I've worked with Duracoat a good amount.

The stuff is tough to remove after it's been allowed to cure fully (usually a couple weeks). It will abrade off fairly easily before that time. I took a spill with my mag sporting a week old Duracoat job at D-Day, and the gravel bit a nice chunk of it off. 'Course, it also took off some of the aluminum. :rolleyes:

The only way I know is a combination of abrasives, lots of elbow grease, and lacquer thinner (with gloves, a breather mask, and lots of ventilation of course).

That said, chrome is smooth stuff which it does not like to stick to. The obligatory sandblasting helps, but it's not ideal. IMHO, chrome is a final finish.

Stayhuge
07-07-2009, 09:52 PM
Apologies, and this may change your recommendations, but it's not chrome. It's silver, or raw I believe. My bad. I was just typing and chrome leaked out of my brain. Thanks for the tips guys!!

Newt
07-07-2009, 10:10 PM
Raw/polished opens your options your options up pretty much all the way. It can be sandblasted for painting, or just anno'd if you prefer.

Richter
07-07-2009, 10:27 PM
anodize it. Look for local places in your town/city especially if you want a single color.

Stayhuge
07-07-2009, 10:28 PM
anodize it. Look for local places in your town/city especially if you want a single color.

What types of places would do annodizing? I am in the New York area. I would do a single color if it was pretty cheap.

behemoth
07-07-2009, 11:47 PM
Yeah i assumed 'polished' as much - if someone paid for a chroming job, i'd doubt you're gonna wanna have it stripped, and re-finished.

Since its already polished up, a nice gloss wouldnt look bad ;)

Richter
07-09-2009, 07:41 PM
google is your friend: i typed in the following: anodizer new york

came up with theses:

A. Anacote Corporation - www.anacote.com - (718) 361-1740 - More
B. Hill Cross Co - www.hillcross.com - (201) 864-3393 - More
C. Able Anodizing Corporation - www.finishing.com - (718) 252-0660 - More
D. Hergo - www.hergo.com - (718) 894-0639 - More
E. Structural Processing Corporation - www.structuralprocessing.com - (718) 326-7226 - More
F. Victoria Plating Co - www.victoriaplating.com - (718) 589-1550 - More
G. Miller & Son - www.millerplatingnj.com - (973) 759-6445 - More
H. Passaic Engraving Co Inc - www.passaicengraving.com - (973) 777-0621 - More
I. Interplex Industries Inc - maps.google.com - (718) 961-6212 -

look at their websites find ones that seems to suit paintball markers; (one of these guys anodizes building internals) give them a call maybe stop by there place of business. In this economy I imagine very few will turn down work.

never now; you might find the next supreme paintball anodizer
most of these guys should be able to get you some single color
happy hunting

Stayhuge
07-10-2009, 12:33 AM
Hi Richter. Thank you soooooo much. I appreciate it. I had gotten a price from another anno guy that I would have to ship too, and he wanted $170 for a single color dust, and $200 for acid wash dust. If I can get a local guy to do it for much less, I will go with that. Thanks again!!!

Stayhuge
07-10-2009, 12:38 AM
Also, is there anything I should ask the annodizer that is paintball specific? Just curious if there is a special type of coating. Thanks again, and the first one seems to be good. I will check with them tomorrow. :cheers:

Warwitch
07-10-2009, 07:15 AM
If you paint a duckslide, i'll cry.

x2

What are you thinking man? :pimp-slap:

Edit: take your time soliciting an ano company. High prices dont necessarily equal high quality. You should pick one of these up.

http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/4467/warwitchcliffnotes.png