PDA

View Full Version : I'm going with Vegans are nuts

Lohman446
07-08-2009, 10:58 AM
Ok, I figured one week (Ok, five days - cause I am surely not doing it on the weekend) of trying to eat a "vegetarian" diet. No meat, no fish. Still figuring in eggs and dairy to be allowed. Just to see what its like.

Its not that bad, not really. And I will appreciate my steak more on Saturday. That being said, those who do it without eggs and dairy - you are nuts. Its not exactly easy without making all your own food as it is. Lunch is a challenge to order, and I have frankly settled on omlettes when I do order lunch.

sandfreestyle
07-08-2009, 11:54 AM
Salad is not food, salad is what food eats.

KC
07-08-2009, 01:11 PM

:rofl:

teufelhunden
07-08-2009, 01:18 PM
No pun intended in the title, right?

:cheers:

behemoth
07-08-2009, 01:37 PM
Tofu! Hummus! Other nasty sht!

I know a few guys that pull the "vegetarianism is a healthier lifestyle" - They're the biggest drunks, chain smokers, drug abusers, and generally unhealthy people i know.

Vegans can be scary - but some of the ones i know are allergic to that **** anyhow.

Then again, alot of kids now a days do the vege /vegan thing to be trendy.

"Lunch? Oh yeah, i had a VEGAN cookie and Some fruit!"

Who cares.

Lohman446
07-08-2009, 01:45 PM
I think it unbalances the diet pretty heavily. Understand I have not taken any real steps to replace the protein I am missing out of a more normal diet and I will tell you that my daily runs take a much heavier toll on my legs (as in I can feel it) longer into the next day.

I like Hummus - but as part of a normal diet, and Tofu is not making it into the diet plan regardless.

All in all its an interesting "experiment" to try, and I doubt that a few days can have any serious impact one way or another.

chafnerjr
07-08-2009, 02:08 PM
I know that this has been quoted already, but I've got to give a third run on this quote :cheers:

Sumthinwicked
07-08-2009, 03:27 PM
if we were to be vegans why have canines ? we love blood hense why we are the top of the food chain it means we eat everything else even whales :) :argh:

SSP REAPER
07-08-2009, 03:30 PM
nice quote from the comedian John Pinette

Lohman446
07-08-2009, 03:35 PM
There is not any intent to make some political statement with doing it, or even to argue if it is a healthy alternative life style. Factually I will agree with you that our diet is meant to be composed of a blend of meats and vegetables. However, I would point out that we do PROBABLY overindulge in meat in our culture.

That being said I am doing it just to see what it takes :). Short term it is annoying at best.

Smoothice
07-08-2009, 03:53 PM
We overindulge in EVERYTHING here in America.

Do you realize how big a portion actually is? :wow:

I feel like I would starve to death ifI ate an actual portion controlled meal.

Enjoy your vegan experiment. More meat for the rest of us :p

sandfreestyle
07-08-2009, 05:06 PM

This is so true.

sandfreestyle
07-08-2009, 05:08 PM
nice quote from the comedian John Pinette
I couldn't remember who said it. Thanks for the reminder, that guy is hilarious.

MoeMag
07-08-2009, 08:17 PM
if we were to be vegans why have canines ? we love blood hense why we are the top of the food chain it means we eat everything else even whales :) :argh:

QFT.

I like my sharp teeth.

SCpoloRicker
07-08-2009, 08:46 PM
Not my cup of tea, but I played DivI athletics with a few vegetarians. They were a minority, but they didn't have any real disadvantage.

Lohman446
07-09-2009, 06:23 AM
Not my cup of tea, but I played DivI athletics with a few vegetarians. They were a minority, but they didn't have any real disadvantage.

Most full time vegetarians are very aware of the shortcomings of the diet. While it can be overcome one has to be pretty aware of what they are eating to do so.

olinar
07-13-2009, 07:58 PM
Being a vegan is both difficult and unhealthy.

That being said, I am a vegan.
I started January of this year and have gone this long on the diet.

The downside and upside coincidentally is I really cant eat out.
There are not too many places that cater to vegans unless they are a small time place.

Its a great diet to try, really tests your strength and will.

With that said, Im getting off the diet soon as it has run its course.

Thordic
07-21-2009, 11:02 AM
If you do your research ahead of time, there are plenty of things you can use to replace the stuff you are losing by not eating meat.

Your two big losses are protein and iron, IIRC.

Protein is easy. Beans, tofu (you'd be amazed at what you can do with the stuff, it doesn't have to be gross), quinoa.

Iron is easy too. Soybeans, tofu, and quinoa once again come to the rescue, and you can cook in a cast-iron pan, which leaches iron into the food.

I'm far from a vegetarian, but you can do it healthily. And theres plenty of stuff out there that tastes good that doesn't involve meat.

Army
07-22-2009, 01:12 AM
Rack of pork ribs, dripping with sauce, over a perfect bed of coals. Big tater roasting right next to it...real butter and sour cream at the ready. Big ear of corn swabbed with olive oil and seasoned salt, re-wrapped in its husk and placed next to the tater.

Dr Pepper on ice, and it's dinner :)

I have never met a healthy vegan. We had a guy in my unit that played up that he was vegan....until we got in country. He dropped his BS "lifestyle" when the effort to live, work, and fight in the heat was killing him. Meat and milk became his new drug :D

pillage
07-22-2009, 07:52 AM
Normally when the Japanese cook tofu it is with meat or fish. :D

punkncat
07-22-2009, 01:27 PM

Enjoy your vegan experiment. More meat for the rest of us :p

Lol, you are right. Consider that all our daily allowances are built around a 2000 calorie diet. One trip to McDonalds for the day, and that is blown WAY out the window.

Mango
07-22-2009, 02:01 PM
I've been living as a Vegan for 2 years....it's not hard at all. You have to be intelligent in your selections and actually THINK about what you are eating...and how much nutritional value it has.

SCpoloRicker
07-22-2009, 09:22 PM
Rack of pork ribs, dripping with sauce, over a perfect bed of coals. Big tater roasting right next to it...real butter and sour cream at the ready. Big ear of corn swabbed with olive oil and seasoned salt, re-wrapped in its husk and placed next to the tater.

*goes outside and turns on gas grill*

/apartment, thus no coals