PDA

View Full Version : Possible Mag owner with a few questions

xX TANK Xx
07-09-2009, 11:25 PM
Hey all,

I've wanted a mag for several years now, but just kept putting it off for other paintball purchases. One of the things that kept me from getting one was being afraid to run into problems with one and have to try to tech it myself. After lurking through this site for a few days I feel confident that there are enough of you knowledgable folks here to get me through any problems I might ever come across. I have an affection for mechanical markers and would most likely be looking for either a Classic or a MiniMag at first, depending on what falls into my limited budget. In saying all of that is the Classic bolt as much of a blender as I've read on various forums or does that pertain more to the "short stroking" effect. I would upgrade the bolt to the lvl 10 if applicable for the Classic whenever I was able to purchase one. Is the Classic minus the lvl 10 bolt mediocre at best or is it a stable platform that I can run stock for the time being and enjoy my Mag? Are there some key questions that I should be asking sellers about the Mag they have for sale? I've never owned one or shot one before, and I don't know anyone that owns one that I normally play with. So I have no one local to go to with these questions and that's why I'm here. :D

Also, if anyone could maybe give me some ballpark figures on the going price for more of a bare bones Classic or Mini Mag that would be greatly appreicated! Thanks in advance for any advice and help. :)

Smoothice
07-09-2009, 11:49 PM
If you are worried about chopping then get a force fed hopper. A revi will work just fine. You don't need anything too fancy.

And yes ANY problem that may arise your answer is just a post away. Or you could try the search bar. Most questions have been answered before. But don't be afraid to ask it again.

Rough price for a automag or minimag is probably in the $125 range.

Welcome to the family :cheers:

BiNumber3
07-09-2009, 11:54 PM
with a lvl 7 bolt, a mag can chop, a lot (pulling trigger faster than time alotted for next ball to enter chamber), however this is quickly and easily remedied with a lvl 10, which i think is 75 new, but you can usually find a mag witha lvl 10 already for pretty cheap.

I still run some of my mags with lvl 7's, with no probs really. Should you break, u can usually shoot it clear, or clear enough. So yea, u can enjoy a stock lvl 7 mag

Agitated, or better yet forcefed loaders will do wonders if u find you're chopping a lot.

Id say a lightly modded mag would go for around $100ish, give or take. if u can spend more, I'd try to find a package, with as many of the things u need as possible, particularly the lvl10.

drewkroeker
07-09-2009, 11:57 PM
A classic or minimag would be a good start for someone just getting into mags. A stock one can be had for anywhere from $150 to $200 I think; check the BST section. I have bought a number of guns on this forum and everyone I have bought from have been 100% straight-shooting honest people.

As far as a Level 10 goes, I would recommend it. I don't think a stock classic valved mag would shoot all that fast so maybe a low rate of fire would prevent chops but the level 10 is just nice to have. Set up correctly, it will give you virtually no chops.

Servicing/teching mags is fairly simple compared to many guns. If you search the forums and ask questions you will no doubt be able to solve any issues that arise. If you don't feel confident teching it yourself or you don't have the required parts/o-rings, there are several users on here who could service your mag for you.

CatoRockwell
07-10-2009, 12:18 AM
I can vouch for all of this. I just got my first mag last year a Tac-One. Every time I've had a question on something everyone here has been awesome about answering my questions and getting me the solutions I needed.

Spider-TW
07-10-2009, 09:22 AM
If you buy an older power feed mag, the feed plug is important to check to avoid chops. It's an $8 part, but it makes a big difference. My old one chopped for years until I got a new plug for it. After that, it didn't matter what kind of feeder I used as long as the feeder matched my firing rate.

http://www.automagsuk.com/otherimages/powerfeed~plugs.JPG

xX TANK Xx
07-10-2009, 09:34 AM
Wow! Thanks for all the fast replies everyone. After Seeing everyones answers, I think this has helped me to get serious about my search for my first mag. I can tell just by the few days I've spent trolling the forum that this seems to be a great little online community. Those are always nice to come upon. Hopefully next time you hear from me it will be me introducing my first Mag. :shooting:

Smoothice
07-10-2009, 09:48 AM
http://www.automagsuk.com/otherimages/powerfeed~plugs.JPG

runs to marker to check plug... :cheers:

Smoothice
07-10-2009, 09:49 AM
Wow! Thanks for all the fast replies everyone. After Seeing everyones answers, I think this has helped me to get serious about my search for my first mag. I can tell just by the few days I've spent trolling the forum that this seems to be a great little online community. Those are always nice to come upon. Hopefully next time you hear from me it will be me introducing my first Mag. :shooting:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230355823321

Not my auction but looks to be a pretty good package/deal. He also states he will add a hp tank with buy it now or if the price goes over $75.

HP is highly recommended for your mag!

xX TANK Xx
07-10-2009, 10:14 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...em=230355823321

Not my auction but looks to be a pretty good package/deal. He also states he will add a hp tank with buy it now or if the price goes over $75.

HP is highly recommended for your mag!

Thanks for the heads up. It's something I'll keep in mind while I'm searching. I've got a VL Eye Force loader now and I'm tripping over all my HPA tanks in my office at home. LOL! My Eye Force feeds at up to 18bps, can a loader put too much force on the ball and push it past the widget causing double feeds? I may pick up something with a lower bps anyways since the Eye Force is a bit bulky.