PDA

View Full Version : plugs or condoms? which do you use?

Cha0tic
02-01-2002, 01:52 PM
ok, many people these days are using barrel condoms instead of plugs. i believe it is a rule in NPPL also. at my local field, you are only allowed to use barrel condoms. i like them better because if i shoot a ball with the condom on, only a little paint gets on the tip of the barrel, not all over the place. not too mention the plug flying out. so what do you use, plugs or condoms?

Potatoboy
02-01-2002, 01:56 PM
In my opinion the industry should stop making plugs, a locking type plug is acceptable, but these littls plastic things stop one ball and then it's fair game. A little kid at one of the local fields was goofing around with an EM1 and had it on three round burst, his finger hit the trigger and it fired. First ball broke on the plug and it popped right out, second two luckily hit the wall and not someone's face. You can dump a whole case into most condoms or locking plugs and just get messy, not injured.

HoppysMag
02-01-2002, 02:09 PM
I dislike the condems. I think they ae ugly. And plugs ar only good if its a snug fit, and your a non Multishot gun. I REALLY want a twist lock plug but am too cheap.

Cha0tic
02-01-2002, 02:11 PM
you say they are ugly, but i don't see the point of having a "nice" looking plug or condom. as long as it works. BTW, i think the condoms look better.

Paintchucker
02-01-2002, 02:11 PM
If I had a nickel for every time I have seen a gun with the "safety on" and a barrel plug shoot the barrel plug, I could buy an EMAG. I like the new barrel condoms, but think they need a new name. This one doesn't describe it properly. In Paintball, unlike sex, you take your condom off to shoot your gun. ;)

Potatoboy
02-01-2002, 02:13 PM
I somewhat agree, the big baggy condoms are not good looking, but have you seen the Redz ones? They're neoprene instead of nylon and the slip right over the end of the barrel, no more. They look pretty slick.

And one other thing, I think that even the ugliest condoms are better than a standard plug, just for the saftey reasons.

Edit: Also, the official term is no longer Condoms, because no one wanted to have that stigma attached to paintball. Most of them are called "Caps" or "Covers" now. I like the sound of condom myself, keeps the idea of saftey in the front of your mind.

crash890
02-01-2002, 02:17 PM
They have been called
Barrell Cozzies..

and BBD
Barrell Blocking Device...

At least this is what I have heard.. They probably call them someting else, but this is what I had heard a while back..

HoppysMag
02-01-2002, 02:20 PM
lol good one Paint chucker.

Ya some people calle the "Jimmies" instead of condems.

Cha0tic - Its my opinion that they are ugly, i dont play nppl or any other tourny, so it doesnt matter what i use.And il use a barrel plug for as long as i can. Im stuck in my little rut and i like it here.:D

Iv never shot out my barrel plug, and if you do then you did something wrong. I always use the safty and keep my finger off the trigger.

EDIT: Where can i see the new barrel condoms u speak of????

crash890
02-01-2002, 02:26 PM
Hoppy,

You are right, they are also refered to as Jimmies...

Take a look..
http://www.redzcomfort.com/ProductDetails.asp?Id=234

Potatoboy
02-01-2002, 02:26 PM
Redz Jimmie Caps:

Red
http://www.redzcomfortgear.com/PicsforWeb/AllPics/bcred.jpg

Blue
http://www.redzcomfortgear.com/PicsforWeb/AllPics/bcblue.jpg

And my Custom Black (red turned inside out)
http://www.synreal.net/users/tato/tato_rt.jpg

synreal
02-01-2002, 02:31 PM
http://www.synreal.net/users/syn/synreal_rt.jpg
i'll never use a plug again, pure and simple, barrel bags are better

HoppysMag
02-01-2002, 02:31 PM
Ya see those are ok. The old style ones are ugly in my eyes.

personman
02-01-2002, 02:42 PM
I like to call them Barrel socks. I dont have one now, but I do have a PINK barrel plug! OOOH YEAH!
lol, Im gonna probally get a green freak barrel sock next tuesday.

TheTramp
02-01-2002, 02:55 PM
I never liked the idea of raming a plug that could be covered w/ sand or grit into my barrel. To easy to scratch the inside. I got a barrel condom as soon as I saw them for sale.

spacemanspiff
02-01-2002, 03:08 PM
I just got a 32 degrees barrel condom. I think it is worth the investment. Especially for the rec player that only goes every now and then. People that play all the time know how to use the safety and keep there finger off the trigger. I too have never shot out a barrel plug and always turn my safty on. But there is always that one time out off a hundred that I might forget. The barrel condoms just seem alot safer and easier to use.

Load SM5
02-01-2002, 05:04 PM
Last time I was out I got smacked in the by a flying plug and some paint, in the staging area. A new player in a church group tapped of a few shots on his rental, and the plug shot out with the first one. I don't care if it looks like a 7 year old jock strap, I'd rather have a barrel condom (whatever) than have to deal with another flying plug.

ronron2112
02-01-2002, 05:11 PM
i always keep a condom looped on my pack, so im never with out one. i own 3 and my feild is starting to make them mandatory. theyre replacing the plugs with the condoms.. and they were sellin the perect condition JT plugs for like $1 each.. and ofcourse i HADDA buy some :)

SGTKennedy
02-01-2002, 05:18 PM
when things come flying at me i pick them back up and throw them at whoevers fault it is, i take this policy to the staging area. My History teacher says something about "Ends justifies means." i think it fits in this case.

How much are barrel condoms?

Edit:
wasnt it proven that a condom is better protection than a diaphram years ago? sorry. had to add it it.

zvanut
02-01-2002, 05:48 PM
i use nitroduck barrel caps

MikeCouves
02-01-2002, 06:15 PM
I highly doubt there is one barrel condom in all of Newfoundland, Canada. That's no joke, the PBall industry is really slow here. I should see if a company that makes economy ones will give me some so I can give them out to people and say it is a new IPPL (Internation Paintball Players League) rule, and you have to use one according to insurance companies. I want my paintball to be safe around here.

MrRottenTreats
02-01-2002, 08:19 PM
does anyone know what barrel condoms will fit on the 2" diameter Nova barrel??

I was looking to get one to replace my old barrel plug I got with my old Piranha:rolleyes:

and I just have to say that this title got a quick chuckle out of my perverted young mind

lala
02-01-2002, 08:54 PM
I think It will all go to the condoms any way

2000Sabre
02-01-2002, 08:55 PM
MrRottenTreats. Barrel condems have plenty of room so just about anyone will fit your barrel.

AntwanRT. Barrel condems run any where between 5.99 - 8.99. I think the Redz are one of the more expensive. In my opinion they look a lot nicer than the nylon bag style and it's also what I use.

My local field also recently changed it's policy. They won't let you in the staging area unless you have a barrel condem. Even if you've got a plug, they make you change it. I think you'll see a lot more fields start to do this because they are much safer.

irbodden
02-02-2002, 12:58 AM
I payed $3 for my barrel condom, its ugly green and says Warped Sportz on it, but its great. :D

X-Plosive
02-02-2002, 01:35 AM
I love barrel condoms, they make the game easier. When ever you decide to take a dead mans walk casually hang it on your neck and walk down the field. It's great, but may be a controversial topic. All I know is that I have been making 3x the ammount of eleminations ever since I invested in a redz "comfort cover"

st6212
02-02-2002, 07:25 AM
Twist-Lock barrel plugs.

Stays in the barrel no matter how many shots you take.

Easier and faster to put on than a condom.

Fits any bore size barrel.

Doesn't damage the inside of your barrel.

Looks great!! Different colour anno.

Also that Redz jimmie thing that doesn't use strings but just cups onto the barrel, looks like it'll fly off after 1 or more shots.

Panzerr
02-02-2002, 09:39 AM
I prefer to use plugs, as they are easier to use, but I use a condom because it's required by the Polar Bear tournament series here in Minnesota.

Drizit
02-02-2002, 10:00 AM
looks like it has strings to me.

also where do you find twist lock plugs?

st6212
02-02-2002, 11:08 AM
Benchmark makes them. You can buy direct from them or

Paintballgear sells them as well:
http://www.actionvillage.com/bentwislocba1.html

X-Plosive
02-02-2002, 12:55 PM
redz jimmie? the redz comfort cover has elastic strings.....

personman
02-02-2002, 01:01 PM
lapco also makes twistlock plugs, I think

HoppysMag
02-02-2002, 03:19 PM
Nice barrel plugz.

http://www.guardianz.net/products.htm

Jonno06
02-02-2002, 03:39 PM
plugs suck,ill never use one ever again,im too smart to.I got a barrel Sok the other week,and its great,i doont take it all the way off my gun,just off the barrel,i could put a case into my sok,and it wont budge,I love it!!!!!!

Cha0tic
02-02-2002, 04:56 PM
well, i picked up my BBD (condom, jimmie, ect.) a few weeks ago when my field told me i couldn't use plugs. i do not think i will ever go back tp plugs.

you can only use barrel condoms in the NPPL correct?

Vegeta
02-02-2002, 06:50 PM
Nowdays, the tech term for condoms is BBD's (Barrel Blocking Devices). Seen them called that in several ads.

I belive that condoms are gonna be the eventual nominal for the industry. Either that, or in the future guns' barrels will have like an electronic shutter on the end of the barrel, like a camera.

And barrel condoms arent that pricey, but plugs arent either. And if your really poor, you can always just put a couple of Wal-Mart bags over the end of the barrel and tie them to your loader. :)

Ahhhh wal-mart bags.
Man's bare nessecities, in order:
1. Duct Tape
2. Wal-mart bags
3. Food (make by eating wal mart bags and tape)
4. Water (make by melting wal mart bags and tape)
5. Shelter (make out of wal mart bags and tape)
6. Fire (make by leaving wal mart bags, tape, or your BE Talon in a hot car)

Cha0tic
02-02-2002, 07:16 PM
i used duct tape on my revvy last weekend. that thing never stays on...i also have a book titled, 3000 uses for dut tape.

i bought my BBD for 3.50 at my field.....

deded
02-03-2002, 04:19 AM
I have a plug now... because I'm a fool and never buy things that I actually need

But for all of you Freak users out there, SmartParts has a freak barrel cover thats pretty stylish... i'm gonna pick up one of those along with some freak stickies to justify the shipping costs :rolleyes:

personman
02-03-2002, 12:19 PM
Yeah, the freak one is the one Im gonna hopefully get.. I dont have a freak, just an AA.. I liek the green tho :D

LaW
02-03-2002, 12:29 PM
I use a condom and I really like them over those plugs... the condoms just seem to be a lot safer... even more so then the twistable plugs..

-now that i reread this it is kind of sounding disgusting but oh well :)

personman
02-03-2002, 12:32 PM
If you like both, you can have a twistlock plug, and put a condom over it! lol

kickass68mag
02-03-2002, 12:55 PM
practice safe paintballing, dont' worry about what it looks like just how it performs and how safe it will keep you, just my 2 cents

JohnBmx
02-03-2002, 04:34 PM
I like the condoms better just throw it on and off its right there you dont have to go diggin threw your pocket to find it. The one thing i dont like though is that you shoot and it shoots off

LaW
02-03-2002, 04:46 PM
I hope your talking about the barrel plug because the condom wont' shoot off :)

JohnBmx I like the condoms better just throw it on and off its right there you dont have to go diggin threw your pocket to find it. The one thing i dont like though is that you shoot and it shoots off

JohnBmx
02-03-2002, 05:02 PM
The Barrel condoms will and do shoot of i've seen people do it and i've done it as a test

LaW
02-03-2002, 05:04 PM
ok it's not possible unless you don't tie a knot in the end of string...geez

and if you don't then duh

Cha0tic
02-03-2002, 08:51 PM
it is impossible to shoot the condom off, unless you shoot the ball at like 600fps....:)

LaW
02-03-2002, 08:55 PM
if the other end isn't knotted then the slider thing will come off and that's the only way i can see it coming off...

Cha0tic
02-04-2002, 06:48 PM
when i bought my BBD, it came tied on the end. i assume most companies tie it for you, its just common sense....