PDA

View Full Version : Grinding the on/off pin ?'s

om3n
07-16-2009, 12:18 AM
So I am going to try grinding down my on/off pin a bit to help me RT better... I already have a 1100 psi input into my gun, but it's still not RT'ing like I'd like it too.

My question is what side do I grind down? The longer thinner side, or the shorter fatter side?

Thanks guys

http://store.airgundesignsusa.com/images/product/108.jpg

Watcher
07-16-2009, 01:11 AM
If you grind it you do so at your own risk.

Now that that is out of the way, you grind down the thin side. The fat side seals air, so to throw off the sealing surface would be a problem.

Remember that metal is easier to remove than add. Check often, cut half of what you measure, measure twice.

om3n
07-16-2009, 01:19 AM
If you grind it you do so at your own risk.

Now that that is out of the way, you grind down the thin side. The fat side seals air, so to throw off the sealing surface would be a problem.

Remember that metal is easier to remove than add. Check often, cut half of what you measure, measure twice.

Some more questions :)

1. What is the danger of grinding it, other than ruining an $8 part?

2. Also, would I be better off pushing more air out of my air tank's regulator, to say, 1200 psi?

3. What I want is I want my mag to RT like my Tippmann 98. Will that ever happen? Right now I cannot RT my mag in combat while I can if I concentrate off the field, but I can RT my Tippmann whenever I want. The Tippmann is second nature to me... the mag is no where near as easy. So will I ever get my mag as easy to RT as my 98?

Watcher
07-16-2009, 02:14 AM
You can run the risk of premature bolt wear if you take too much off the pin.

Yes, you'd be better off just upping the pressure (search for Zak Vetter and you'll see what I mean).

You might get yours to RT like your Tippmann, but then again all mags are different and the LVL10 can adversely effect your marker's performance as far as speed goes.

For example, my RT Pro would easily sweetspot in the teens and would top 20bps if I concentrated, and this is off of a 850psi output Crossfire reg!

Now that I have a lvl10 bolt installed, I can barely get a 2 shot burst off of the RT effect.
Does it suck not having the firepower? Not really, but that isn't how I play.
Does it suck not being able to show off an RT's true potential? Yes, it totally sucks.
Am I willing to part with the lvl10 to have the speed again? Not in a million years!

I'd be cool to get it to RT again, and I'm willing to tune it as much as I can and up the pressure a lot to try. But if it never happens again I'll still be happy enough just to know that it once did.

Sometimes you just have to play the cards you are dealt.

Looper
07-16-2009, 07:31 AM
Unless you have digital verniers I would not do this yourself. Go to the AGD Store and buy a quad o-ring and the emag pin (.712). For $12 plus shipping you will have your original as a backup if you want to change it back.

http://store.airgundesignsusa.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=catalog.prodInfo&productID=195&categoryID=24
http://store.airgundesignsusa.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=catalog.prodInfo&productID=395&categoryID=24

MANN
07-16-2009, 07:52 AM
as long as you measure it it will not matter. I grind them down all the time to put in e/xmags (from .750 to .712)

Looper
07-16-2009, 11:19 AM
But pick up one of these if you are going to do it yourself
http://www.mpja.com/prodinfo.asp?number=17471+TL

It only takes me 30-40 strokes on a flat file to bring a .750 down to .721 and unless you measure every 10 strokes or so you will have no idea how long your pin is.

While you are there you might as well pick up a set of these for changing out regulators in tanks.
http://www.mpja.com/prodinfo.asp?number=14455+TL

:cheers:

Looper
07-16-2009, 11:25 AM
BTW, Are you anywhere near Muskegon, MI? I used to work for a Paper Company that had a Mill in Muskegon. I've been other there a few times doing ESX Server work, nice area.

edit: Never mind... SE not W... Muskegon is on the West side...

om3n
07-18-2009, 01:57 PM
Unless you have digital verniers I would not do this yourself. Go to the AGD Store and buy a quad o-ring and the emag pin (.712). For $12 plus shipping you will have your original as a backup if you want to change it back.

http://store.airgundesignsusa.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=catalog.prodInfo&productID=195&categoryID=24
http://store.airgundesignsusa.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=catalog.prodInfo&productID=395&categoryID=24

Thanks for all the replies guys. So what would I need the o-rings for? I'm probably gonna go this route... I think that there is too much risk with whole filing idea :/

So what is the purpose of the o-rings?

And no sorry, I'm not near Muskegon

You can run the risk of premature bolt wear if you take too much off the pin.

Yes, you'd be better off just upping the pressure (search for Zak Vetter and you'll see what I mean).

You might get yours to RT like your Tippmann, but then again all mags are different and the LVL10 can adversely effect your marker's performance as far as speed goes.

For example, my RT Pro would easily sweetspot in the teens and would top 20bps if I concentrated, and this is off of a 850psi output Crossfire reg!

Now that I have a lvl10 bolt installed, I can barely get a 2 shot burst off of the RT effect.
Does it suck not having the firepower? Not really, but that isn't how I play.
Does it suck not being able to show off an RT's true potential? Yes, it totally sucks.
Am I willing to part with the lvl10 to have the speed again? Not in a million years!

I'd be cool to get it to RT again, and I'm willing to tune it as much as I can and up the pressure a lot to try. But if it never happens again I'll still be happy enough just to know that it once did.

Sometimes you just have to play the cards you are dealt.

Yeah I know what you mean- I have been playing alot with my mag purely on semi-auto and I've been doing excellently, but the last time I played I was pinned down by a couple of guys with automatic guns and man it would've been nice to have an automatic gun to combat them with. But I agree, I will never get rid of the lvl 10. The lack of chop is amazing :)

om3n
07-18-2009, 02:09 PM
Yeah man!!! :headbang:

Again if you guys could let me know why I need the quad o-rings that would be great :)

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii191/om3n07/yeahboi.jpg

Coralis
07-18-2009, 03:34 PM
Quad orings have two sealing surfaces instead of one so they do not have to sit as tight on the on/off pin to provide a seal thus making the on/off pin slide up and down easier which in theory make the gun a bit more reactive.

om3n
07-18-2009, 03:55 PM
Quad orings have two sealing surfaces instead of one so they do not have to sit as tight on the on/off pin to provide a seal thus making the on/off pin slide up and down easier which in theory make the gun a bit more reactive.

Hmm ok that's interesting. Where does this particular o-ring go? Is it the o-ring that goes directly on the on/off pin, or is the the o-ring that the o-ring that goes on top of the on/off pin fits into, if that makes sense :tard:

Coralis
07-18-2009, 08:38 PM
it goes in the channel/hole that the on/off assembly slides into, it replaces the two orings that would normally be there

om3n
07-18-2009, 11:24 PM
it goes in the channel/hole that the on/off assembly slides into, it replaces the two orings that would normally be there

oh, it replaces both of the o-rings that go on top of the on/off assembly? Ok cool Thanks :) I'll let you guys know how this works!

athomas
07-19-2009, 03:25 PM
oh, it replaces both of the o-rings that go on top of the on/off assembly? Ok cool Thanks :) I'll let you guys know how this works!No, it only replaces the small white top oring. If you have the two oring on-off top, then you still need two orings. The black quad oring fits inside the larger urethane oring.

Watcher
07-19-2009, 04:12 PM

Will that work on a normal length pin as well?

athomas
07-19-2009, 07:13 PM
Will that work on a normal length pin as well?Yes it does. However, because the quad oring has an upper and lower sealing point rather than a single sealing point in the center, it is the same as making the on-off pin a bit longer. The smoothness of the quad oring is nice though, which is why the emag uses it for better on-off consistency rather than the urethane oring. When the switch to the quad oring occured in the emag, the on-off pin was shortened from 0.725" to 0.712" to compensate for the change in distance to the sealing surface.

om3n
07-20-2009, 11:49 AM
Yes it does. However, because the quad oring has an upper and lower sealing point rather than a single sealing point in the center, it is the same as making the on-off pin a bit longer. The smoothness of the quad oring is nice though, which is why the emag uses it for better on-off consistency rather than the urethane oring. When the switch to the quad oring occured in the emag, the on-off pin was shortened from 0.725" to 0.712" to compensate for the change in distance to the sealing surface.

Hmm... so would using this o-ring remove the RT effect of the shorter on/off pin?

EDIT

I just upped my output pressure on my i-reg to hopefully around 1200 (my gauge is broken on my mag and my proshop didn't have a 1200/1500 gauge in stock, so I can't tell for certain what it is :() and with the RT on/off I cannot RT my gun with my remote line at all :/ I can just barely RT my gun without the remote line.... do you guys think that I'll have any hope of RT'ing with my remote line when the e-mag pin arrives?

athomas
07-21-2009, 06:28 AM
Hmm... so would using this o-ring remove the RT effect of the shorter on/off pin?
It could reduce the RT effect. But, the smoother action should also enhance the RT effect, especially when used with an emag pin. The smoother action should more than compensate for any loss of RT due to the longer distance the pin has to move.

Tym
07-22-2009, 04:12 AM
Weird, I have no problem at all RTing my mag.. At about 975PSI output from the tank it rips..
So fast that my Halo wouldn't keep up, so I got a qloader.

om3n
07-22-2009, 08:45 AM
Weird, I have no problem at all RTing my mag.. At about 975PSI output from the tank it rips..
So fast that my Halo wouldn't keep up, so I got a qloader.

Do you have a lvl 10 bolt and a remote line? :/

mine really won't RT easily... even without the remote. I'm really hoping this pin will fix it. it might come today in the mail.

Does anyone have any experience with RT'ing with a remote?

EDIT

pin came in the mail today. I'm playing tomorrow, so I'll let you guys know how it works. I had about 1000 psi in one of my 800psi outputting tanks, I put it on my gun, and geeze I can already feel that it is gonna react waaaay better than it was before. It was RT'ing a bit today, but only at about 10 rounds a second. I can't wait to put my 1150 outputting tank on my gun :bounce:

om3n
07-23-2009, 11:17 PM
It just won't RT with the remote line :confused:

I am gonna try soon to tune this gun to RT the best I can... I refuse to give up my remote line, so I guess I'll just have to live with no RT. I can almost get it to RT if I concentrate really hard while using the remote, but it's just not effective. The bounce does allow me to shoot semiautomatic very quickly, but no trigger bounce for sustained automatic fire right now.

I will try it with a normal ASA probably this weekend and see what happens. I'll bet it rips like crazy... Also I am gonna put the gold spring back into my lvl 10 bolt and hopefully that will allow it to RT better as well.

om3n
07-26-2009, 09:54 PM
I have a question...

So what happens if I put the emag pin in my ULT on/off?

athomas
07-27-2009, 06:57 AM
I have a question...

So what happens if I put the emag pin in my ULT on/off?It won't fit. The retro/emag pin is larger diameter at the larger top section and at the smaller bottom section.

om3n
07-27-2009, 11:39 PM
It won't fit. The retro/emag pin is larger diameter at the larger top section and at the smaller bottom section.

Ugh... no matter what I try I can't get this mag to RT correctly :(

I think I'm just gonna stick with semi-auto for now... Not that I'm dissatisfied with semi-auto, but I'd really like to get this thing ripping for once just to know I can...

athomas
07-28-2009, 06:49 AM
Put a shim or two between the halves of the rt on-off. It is the same as shortening the pin without actually making any permanent modifications.