PDA

View Full Version : Barrel Causing Bolt Stick?

OPBN
07-16-2009, 08:32 PM
Has anyone ever experienced barrel stick? I was having issues with bolt stick with my Retrovalve. Switched to my Classic and some of the same. After several switches back and forth, I took the J&J barrel off and started over. No worries, everything is working now. I thought I was done for the night, put the barrel back on, tried a few more shots and started having the same problem again, bolt stick... I put another barrel I had on and no problems. Is this common? Do some barrels just not work well with the LVL10? If I buy a tune up kit and start shimming, will this go away?

BiNumber3
07-16-2009, 08:46 PM
is the jj barrel loose when it's in?

OPBN
07-16-2009, 08:52 PM
I wouldn't say any looser than the other barrel... However, I rummaged around and found another set of barrel o-rings. I put them on and they seem bigger than was was on there. I tried it and has some stick until I twisted the barrel really hard to the left and then is seemed to dlear up. Wierd. I guess thanks for the help.

Coralis
07-17-2009, 07:47 PM
perhaps your J&J barrel is smaller bore than your other barrels ?

Bagheera
07-20-2009, 12:13 PM
This may sound like a stupid question, but how much air is left in your tank? I had a bolt not charge forward enough for a return to the locked position the other day while teching my gun, and it's because the tank was almost empty. Switched to a new tank (and pushed the bolt back) and it worked perfectly.

OPBN
07-20-2009, 04:24 PM
Problem seems to be fixed now after changing out the o-rings.

Riddler236
07-20-2009, 04:54 PM
was likely the level 10 activating on your ball detente nubbins. :)

OPBN
07-22-2009, 07:39 PM
Not really sure. Oddly enough, it started to do it again last night when I aired back to make sure it was chronoing correctly. Started to act up and only started working again after I pulled the barrel off, fired a few shots and than put the barrel back on. Almost like it needs to get warmed up or something...

KC
07-22-2009, 09:54 PM
OPBN Do you have another barrel to test fire the gun with? That would point us in the right direction I think.

I know I have had to sand when using level 10 bolts on twist lock(steel) bodies.

You can test the bolt/body fit by dropping the bolt into the body without a spring. You might also check fit between the level 10 bolt and the "chamber" of the barrel.

OPBN
07-24-2009, 10:05 AM
I have another J&J that I was originally using. It is a chrome/polished barrel and I am guessing stainless??? It weighs a ton, which is the reason I picked up the other J&J which is a dark gray color and a WHOLE lot lighter. Quick rundown of setup: Retro valve w/lvl10, stock TLright body, Intelliframe. I am on my way out the door today for a big game this weekend and aired up again to see it if was still having the issue. When I pulled the barrel off and tried firing it did it again, but after taking back off and firing a few times and replacing, it seemed to clear up. I did take a paintball and roll it through the breech end of the barrel. the new one (sticking) definitely seems to be a hair or so smaller as the ball will actually catch whereas it will roll freely through the other. As mentioned, I got the one barrel working after heating it up, but will be carrying the spare with me if it starts acting up.

If it is a case of the breech being too small on the one barrel, would it be advisable to sand down the inside of the breech side of the barrel? As I am assuming all this part does is allow the bolt in and out it shouldn't have any affect on the actual ball right?

Tim808
07-25-2009, 07:53 PM
It could be the barrel, the quality control at some places might not be that good. Get your barrels and your bolt out of the gun and check if the barrel in question is too "tight".

I once had a mag to A/C barrel adapter from Doc's Machine - the bore was too small....bolt wouldn't even fit in it. I had to use a break hone to open it wider.

Also as someone else had mentioned, maybe the detent is sticking out too much or bent and the bolt may be getting hung up on it or it may be affecting the level 10. Try taking out the detent and testing it.

Good luck!!

OPBN
07-26-2009, 01:01 PM
Oddly enough, this didnt end up being an issue the entire weekend?? I love random recurring issues that clear up for no apparent reason.

flyingpootang
07-26-2009, 01:12 PM
Check to see if your trigger frame screw isn't to long and protruding into the breach. The screw may be pushing up on the rear of the barrel slightly and causing the bolt stick....

OPBN
07-26-2009, 01:14 PM
No, I ground it down already.

athomas
07-26-2009, 04:57 PM
If the outer diameter of the barrel is a little smaller than spec, then the twist lock assembly could push the barrel to the top of the body. This could cause bolt stick. Try wrapping a layer of tape around the barrel , under each of the orings.