PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning off old paint

jtamm
07-17-2009, 01:38 PM
Hey guys,

I picked up an old Minimag from a garage sale and it looks like the previous owner didn't really clean the gun after using it. Paint is caked inside the body and the spring is pretty crusty also.

Any suggestions for the best way to clean the paint off? CLR?

Thanks.

georgeyew
07-17-2009, 01:44 PM
I would soak it in hot water for a few minutes, that should soften it enough to get the paint off with a tooth brush.

vf-xx
07-17-2009, 01:49 PM
I would soak it in hot water for a few minutes, that should soften it enough to get the paint off with a tooth brush.

Then once it's off and dried, re-lube EVERYTHING.

BiNumber3
07-17-2009, 03:09 PM
ive found some paint cant be taken off with water n a brush:/ particularly on dust finishes, any idea how to clean those?

georgeyew
07-17-2009, 03:21 PM
ive found some paint cant be taken off with water n a brush:/ particularly on dust finishes, any idea how to clean those?

Might have to use some solvent like WD40.

Smoothice
07-17-2009, 03:22 PM
The last time I had an extremely dried and crusted mag I ended up filling a bucket with hot soapy water. I disassembled the marker and stuck everything in the bucket. Let is soak for about 20 minutes. Then I attacked it with a toothbrush.

For a nice surface clean after a day of play I've always found a 50/50 mix of water and rubbing alcohol to do the trick. Cleans well and dries fast. Then lube all moving parts and call it a day.

Newt
07-18-2009, 12:14 AM
Acetone. :ninja:

I found my first gun from a decade ago (ACI Griffin) when I hardly knew which end the paint came out, let alone to clean the thing. Ran some acetone soaked paper towels through the body and barrel, and it's absofraginlutely perfect.

JKR
07-28-2009, 06:02 AM
Use straight rubbing alcohol. It cuts paint well, is cheap, and dries quickly.

Frizzle Fry
07-28-2009, 06:10 AM
I've always been a fan of a few drops of simple green and some warm water... Just lube and you're done. If a tooth brush doesn't work, pick up one of those hand scrubber / fingernail brushes they sell at CVS and Wallgreens. It's got more bristles and they're tougher, but it won't damage your finish.

buzzboy
07-28-2009, 08:10 AM
Use straight rubbing alcohol. It cuts paint well, is cheap, and dries quickly.
seconded.

And acetone kinda scares me around metal as you really don't want things to rust too badly.

skife
07-28-2009, 09:42 AM
clean the gun in the shower, works great for mech mags.

vf-xx
07-28-2009, 10:16 AM
clean the gun in the shower, works great for mech mags.

What you do in the shower is your buisness.... Just don't share :p

OPBN
07-28-2009, 12:09 PM
I use dish soap and hot water on most parts if the marker is disassembled. For parts like valves etc, I will use rubbing or denatured alcohol.

jtamm
07-28-2009, 07:43 PM
Tried soaking the spring in rubbing alcohol, wd-40, and now I'm trying nail polish remover (acetone light).

So far the nail polish remover has made the biggest dent.