PDA

View Full Version : Change your Macroline

punkncat
07-26-2009, 09:43 PM
Just as a reminder to everyone to check and replace old or worn macroline. This stuff is not made for permanent installation, and should be replaced at regular intervals.

This reminder comes as the aftermath of seeing not one, but two different peoples markers blow line off today. One of the two came away bleeding on his forearm from the pressure vent. :wow:

I am now going to make replacement a scheduled item, like disassembly and cleaning.....

Beemer
07-26-2009, 11:31 PM
This stuff is not made for permanent installation, and should be replaced with SS line.

Fixed...

Why would I want a plastic line down stream of 4500psi?

Sumthinwicked
07-26-2009, 11:59 PM
since i have used it maybe 12 years no issues on my end
but then again i dont rt my mags

BiNumber3
07-27-2009, 12:20 AM
well it's more or less holding 800 psi or so, 1200 at most prolly. Ive never run my mags with pressure that high, but my lines have never burst at 800 psi, tho when i look at the ends they look like they could go, so yea replacement is prolly in order.

I used to do steel hoses, but gettin the right length and quick disconnects everywhere were bothersome:/

txaggie08
07-27-2009, 01:16 AM
Almost as bothersome as stitches after macro blew out of the fitting and went whipping around?

I hate macro line, always have.

Beemer
07-27-2009, 06:59 AM
I used to do steel hoses, but gettin the right length and quick disconnects everywhere were bothersome:/

Ya why bother? Safety last. :(

Redic
07-27-2009, 07:15 AM
yeah i got into a arguement with a local store over this

every marker they have haas macro

and they told me that every marker they work on they replace the SS line with macro
that includes the tippmanns that people still run CO2 through

give me SS line or give me death

Newt
07-27-2009, 08:19 AM
Fixed...

Hey, if your reg gives out and you have 4500 psi going through your line, macroline is probably better. I'd rather have macroline blow violently than SS, at least I won't have braid shards in my neck. Or valve pieces.

Ando
07-27-2009, 09:33 AM
99% of markers out have some kind of fail safe installed on the gun....Automags blow out the back where you adj your velocity.

I been running 1100psi on my macro lines for about 4 months now and they've been holding up very nicely. I got my stuff to include the fittings from

http://www.airsoldier.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=SFNT&Store_Code=AOS

Black macroline specs:

* Black Nylon-12
* .150" ID
* .250" OD
* .050" wall
* 1000 psi working pressure (3000 psi burst)
* 0.5" bend radius

I'm not endorsing them but they do have some of the sickest macro you can find/get. Remember, it all comes down to the wall thickness of the line. The thicker the more PSI you can run through it.

I think i purchased this package the last time i got anything from them.
http://www.airsoldier.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=AOS&Product_Code=NORGREN-MACROPACK&Category_Code=FITTINGS

Basically your paying $3 per fitting and getting 10' of the black macroline for free. Can't go wrong with that when most stores sell the fitting for $5 a pop. That whole package would cost you $75 just in fitting and another $10 for the line.

behemoth
07-27-2009, 09:40 AM
Fixed...

You're dumping 4500PSI to your gun? Damn beemer, get a reg on there.

Ya why bother? Safety last. :(
Do you really think they would SELL somethign that isnt SAFE? SS Line is a PITA, and you know it. Macro line (for the most part) is perfectly acceptable.

99% of markers out have some kind of fail safe installed on the gun.....

The markers arent what you should be worried about, its the tanks.

If your tank has an LP Burst disc, its not goign to be able to put much over the regulated pressure into your gun.

All you yahoos trying to dump 1k+ PSI into your mech's to get them to bounce (then whine about rampers) shouldnt be surprised when a line blows, or some seal dies...

Newt
07-27-2009, 09:58 AM
The mag valve is rated to 3000psi (there's a video of a guy actually running it at that, pretty sweet stuff). That includes the valve seals. Macroline is another story, as we all know.

Now I wouldn't be all too interested in putting 1000psi into, say, an Ion.

punkncat
07-27-2009, 10:22 AM
Anything that I run high pressure in, like CO2, or when I had mags that I was RT'ing with high pressure....I ALWAYS used SS line for those. There is just no sense playing with your own safety that way.

I use macroline on my LP HPA markers, and anything up to the 850 mark, but I will most assuredly be replacing the stuff on a very regular basis now. I wish I could have gotten usable pictures of dude's forearm. It was pretty damn nasty.

georgeyew
07-27-2009, 10:36 AM
The question is how often should they be replaced? Is it based on time or how often they are used? Maybe I should go with the 3 month/3K mile rule :rolleyes:

Ando
07-27-2009, 11:14 AM
The markers arent what you should be worried about, its the tanks.
If your tank has an LP Burst disc, its not goign to be able to put much over the regulated pressure into your gun.

Agree with the burst disks but if for some reason they fail to fail. :rolleyes: I don't want to be around.

All you yahoos trying to dump 1k+ PSI into your mech's to get them to bounce (then whine about rampers) shouldnt be surprised when a line blows, or some seal dies...

Well I'm not worried about a line blowing. What I'm using is rated at 1k work, 3k burst. Would I use it to push 3000psi into a mag...No way in hell but it's more then capable of holding up to what I'm using it for.

Pfft...Seals are a dime a dozen :p

The question is how often should they be replaced? Is it based on time or how often they are used? Maybe I should go with the 3 month/3K mile rule :rolleyes:

Like anything under pressure, it's going to swell. All macro line outer demotions are .250 or 1/4 inch. If its over that after a few months of play then you might want to change it. I for one don't ck that, my rule of thumb is when my ends are getting worn from the macro fittings. Main one I usually replace is the one that connect to my valve since it's the one that's usually gets pulled to clean and tune. I keep all my lines a little longer so when they do look bad I just cut about 1/4 in off the tip and reconnect. Saves the line.

BiNumber3
07-27-2009, 01:27 PM
the lengths of macro on my gun arent long enough to whip if the ends burst off. unless u mean the middle bursting n shards flying off (the macro i use is pretty flexible/rubbery so i doubt it'd do that).

tho, there is a lot of cheap macroline on the market, that feel very brittle with particularly thin walls.

Thordic
07-27-2009, 01:35 PM

/Has blown macroline at least 3 times
//It hurts like hell and leaves a nasty bruise
///Doesn't play, but would still use mag with 1k input and macroline

Toll
07-27-2009, 01:57 PM
One of the cheaper spyder clones this weekend blew at the field, the SS line snapped off the barb it was placed on and scared the **** out of everyone. Looked pretty nasty afterwards but it must not have caught his hand.

Newt
07-27-2009, 02:00 PM
Pfft...Seals are a dime a dozen :p

Wait, seals as in baby seals? That's a different story.

:evil:

BigEvil
07-27-2009, 02:26 PM
Ive seen more people hurt with both improperly connected remote lines and fill whips than blown macroline.

Most guns only have 3"-4" of macro and do not need to run 1200 psi into them. Where the mags need this big loop of line (the most popular set up) and users seem to like to push 1k+ into them.

Ive been playing since 1991 and have only seen one incident with macro line. Not saying that it's better than ss brainded hose, but I dont think it's a big problem.

**Now im almost certain to have one of my lines blow off this weekend for sure.

Smoothice
07-27-2009, 02:36 PM
the last AO game we played whee mcgee's marcro line blew 2 or 3 times.

Besides being annoying it did no damage. Maybe he was just lucky.

I'm thinking his tank reg was on the fritz as it happened with different markers.

Spider-TW
07-27-2009, 02:51 PM
You definitely have to check the specs on any hose you use, that includes the torque specs for stainless tubing fittings. When they bite too hard they weaken the tubing. You can even find some silly thin stainless tubing if you try. Some of the fittings they sell are no where near a safe rating. I found an old remote with a Foster brass QD 150 psi fitting that was cracked on the npt side.

That Black Nylon from airsoldier is tough stuff and I trust it for 800 psi and below. It doesn't even seal well without 600 psi and moderate temperatures. It is tough to bend too. Of course I take care of it.

Someone gave me some of that 625 psi parker hose. I use it on a flatline reg at 600 psi because it seals and it's not pointed at me. It is relatively soft.

I use braided line on my RT mag not just because of the 1000 psi, but because it runs beside the inside of my wrist and the valve fitting points back at me. I prefer to check my pressure ratings and not be in the way.

Lohman446
07-27-2009, 03:21 PM
Since the safe alternative to macroline is steel let me ask this

On a steel line that size what is the burst rating? Or of the line you are using? I can buy rated macroline (most people don't). Is the steel line rated? What happens in the result of a failure of steel line? 4500PSI is A LOT of pressure - if we are considering the results of a full dump reg failure without burst disk failure.

Old School 626
07-27-2009, 03:28 PM
the last AO game we played whee mcgee's marcro line blew 2 or 3 times.

Besides being annoying it did no damage. Maybe he was just lucky.

I'm thinking his tank reg was on the fritz as it happened with different markers.

And he was using different macro lines that he got from a few different people after each blew. If the functional pressure range is that tight, I'll stick with SS.

Ando
07-27-2009, 03:28 PM
Wait, seals as in baby seals? That's a different story.

:evil:
/hate you :rofl:

Since the safe alternative to macroline is steel let me ask this

On a steel line that size what is the burst rating? Or of the line you are using? I can buy rated macroline (most people don't). Is the steel line rated? What happens in the result of a failure of steel line? 4500PSI is A LOT of pressure - if we are considering the results of a full dump reg failure without burst disk failure.

Bro...braided line is rated at 3k work 12k burst. I really don't see one going unless it's been tampered with or not assembled to spec. Burst disks not blowing? I've seen it happen twice but the reg didn't chamber dump all 3k into the gun.

Newt
07-27-2009, 04:00 PM
And he was using different macro lines that he got from a few different people after each blew. If the functional pressure range is that tight, I'll stick with SS.

I'd say that points to a psychotic tank reg. That or the guy's using a mag in the first place because plastic melts within a 3 yrd radius of his person.

/hate you :rofl:

Here's your Hate Club card.

|___________ |

going_home
07-27-2009, 06:20 PM
Fixed...

Saying macroline is unsafe is just ignorant. Period.
If you prefer the ugly anodizing scratching steel braided have at it.
Macroline is here to stay so get over it.

:tard:

skife
07-27-2009, 06:25 PM
Hey, if your reg gives out and you have 4500 psi going through your line, macroline is probably better. I'd rather have macroline blow violently than SS, at least I won't have braid shards in my neck. Or valve pieces.

btw, you won't get mag valve peices in your face, there is a video out there somewhere with a 3000psi runaway rt mag dry firing.

Newt
07-27-2009, 06:29 PM
Thanks for the info. If you'd read the whole topic, you might notice I said that very thing a few posts down.

FiXeL
07-27-2009, 07:56 PM
I really don't see what's the big problem here... I see both pro and anti macro users having a (imho) pointless discussion. Yes, macroline can blow, and Yes it can be said that thus it's unsafe. But you have macroline, and macroline. Some is rated for the required pressure range (with a huge overhead i might add) and some isnt. I've seen examples of both on guns and it's usually the thin walled macroline that is causing problems like this, or faulty fittings.

The connections are not always rated for pressures like this, heck, even the fill nipple we use on all high pressure tanks are definatly not rated for 4500 psi.

Is that a problem? No. Because they can hold up to that pressure, but are not rated for it. Same goes with macroline and couplings. If you want no risk at all, go SS hose (which infact is steel braided macroline) or just go with quality macro and fittings.

Personally in not a fan of macro because the thick stuff not always seals well, but i'll use it if it looks good. Classic mags get the SS.

/end rant.

crazyjoe12
07-28-2009, 04:08 PM
its funny i read this post then the next day my macroline blew hah go figure right? :cuss:

Ebbed
07-28-2009, 04:26 PM
If you wanna see braided steel blow, put a sharp bend in it...

I'm in the process of switching to macro, the same stuff displayed above. I say for the POSSIBLE one time inconvenience of blowing macro line and emptying a tank of air trumps the hundreds of times of unscrewing static SS fittings and fiddling with tephlon tape. That being said I'm glad i ordered extra, So i can replace the lines every season.

MANN
07-28-2009, 09:51 PM
Ive seen more people hurt with both improperly connected remote lines
:rofl: so true so true

zondo
07-28-2009, 09:59 PM
If you wanna see braided steel blow, put a sharp bend in it...

I'm in the process of switching to macro, the same stuff displayed above. I say for the POSSIBLE one time inconvenience of blowing macro line and emptying a tank of air trumps the hundreds of times of unscrewing static SS fittings and fiddling with tephlon tape. That being said I'm glad i ordered extra, So i can replace the lines every season.

Quick disconnects work to cut down the process... :D

Ando
07-28-2009, 10:23 PM
Quick disconnects work to cut down the process... :D
http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa268/kamfl610/SmartAss.jpg?t=1248835444
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

GoatBoy
07-28-2009, 11:06 PM
Due to the wide variability in macroline types (material type, thickness, rating) and use/abuse scenarios (installation, low pressure vs. high pressure, damage), without SPECIFIC DATA, anecdotal threads like this inevitably turn into... baseless fear mongering. (I know OP was just wanting to make an advisory warning... but it was obvious where this would head right from the start.)

Now, if you had gone over and looked at the marker and found the labeling on the line and gotten the make and model, or at least taken a look at the thickness (or even the color), in addition to checking what the tank output was set at, then that might be some useful information.